Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2017, 15:50   #1

Week long Croatia sailing

Hello everyone, it's my first post here!

I am planning a week - long trip to Croatia. As it would be my first time in Croatia, I have some questions to more expirienced sailors.
Firstly some basics - I am expirienced in Greek Islands sailing, but I will bring my friends, some of them will be first time on a boat, so I don't want to make hudge and extreme passages (around 20 Nm per day would be perfect).
Trip is planned from 3rd june to 10th june - and I was thinking about starting and ending in Sukosan, or in Split. What routes would you recomend from those marinas considering winds in that time period?
On Cyclades I fell in love with small, quiet anchoring bays - any advices in that area?
I know it is before the high season so can I assume there will be no problem with places in marinas? Or do I need to book place before?

Any other advices are highly appreciated
Greetings,
Michał.
rivalion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 16:32   #2

Re: Week long Croatia sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivalion View Post
Hello everyone, it's my first post here!

I am planning a week - long trip to Croatia. As it would be my first time in Croatia, I have some questions to more expirienced sailors.
I was thinking about starting and ending in Sukosan, or in Split. What routes would you recomend from those marinas considering winds in that time period?
Michał.

Don't know about Split, about Sukosan try some of thous.

1.day Sukosan - Zdrelac bay
2.day Zdrelac bay - Telascica bay (Dugi Otok, nature park)
3.day Telascica bay - NP Kornati (islands Levrnaka, Piskera, Levsa)
4.day NP Kornati - island Zlarin
5.day Island Zlarin - Skradin (NP Krka)
6.day Skradin - island Vrgada
7.day Island Vrgada - Sukosan

----

2.day Zdrelac bay - Primosten
3.day Primosten - Komiza (island Vis)
4.day Komiza - town Hvar (island Hvar)Alternative: Pakleni islands.
5.day Hvar - Maslinica bay (island Solta)Alternative: Sesula bay (island Solta)
6.day Maslinica bay - SibenikAlternative: island Zlarin
7.day Sibenik - Sukosan

-----------

2.day Zdrelac bay - island Molat
3.day Molat - island Ilovik
4.day Ilovik - Veli Losinj (island Losinj)
5.day Veli Losinj - island Rab
6.day Rab - island Olib
7.day Olib - Sukosan
royalstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 17:40   #3

Thanks for reply! It look great! But correct me if I am wrong - usually charters are on weekly basis from saturday around 1700 to next saturday 0900 - so I am afraid that we would not have full 7 days of sailing as you proposed ?
Old 05-04-2017, 01:31   #4

Boat: Lagon 450 ,13.96m

It is even shorter. Because normally you have to be back in the marina on Friday 18:00 latest!
Old 05-04-2017, 03:46   #5

We did the following last year. Sunday to Friday (4:00 pm return).
Hope you can see the attachment. Opens in google earth.
Click image for larger version

Name:	sibenik kornati skradin.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	217.4 KB
ID:	144704
Menlim3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 08:42   #6

Boat: Lagoon 450S

We have a week charter scheduled between May 5 and May 13 leaving out of Pula. I will be posting a vlog on my youtube channel "iliohale Productions".

Gary
iliohale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 09:02   #7

Boat: Najad 373

I confirm you have to be back in the marina by 4 or 6 PM on Friday.
Lots of moorings in small bays but be careful of orientation as winds can pick up quickly, especially jugo (SE).
Quebramar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 09:04   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menlim3 View Post
We did the following last year. Sunday to Friday (4:00 pm return).
Hope you can see the attachment. Opens in google earth.
Attachment 144704
Menlim3 thats looks really great! But can you share some link to the google earth? I can only see the small image, it hard to see where the stops were. Or you can describe day by day what was the destinations?

Also - from Sibernik to Skradin it's all on motor? How long does it take to get there?
Old 05-04-2017, 09:43   #9

Hi Michal,

If you are used to Greece there a few points about sailing in Croatia that you will need to consider.

1) They will insist on at least one of you having a recognized sailing qualification, for UK sailors it is usually RYA Day Skipper, or an ICC (International Certificate of Incompetence), (or, of course, anything higher), and if the yacht has a VHF then you must also have a VHF licence. There are web-sites that show what they accept for sailors from each country, but I expect that your charter company have already explained all the to you.

2) I am glad you like anchoring in quiet bays, as in Croatia anything else will cost you...

Look up the web-sites of some of the ACI marinas that you might visit and look at their scale of charges. Even the local harbours will charge you, but it should come in somewhere between 50% and 100% of the equivalent marina. In some harbours they have mooring buoys which are cheaper but they charge for those as well...

Not a lot of what you are used to in Grece with free village quay mooring, or "sorry we have to charge you 3 euros for an 11 metre yacht". Basically make sure that you budget for mooring charges on those nights where you can't find a free anchorage (in some places they even come round and charge you for anchoring!). In some of the bays the restaurants have their own quays or mooring buoys and these are free providing that you eat in their restaurant.

3) Visiting Croatian National Parks (e.g. Telasica on Dugi Otok, or Krka) will also involve a visitors charge so remember to budget for it.

4) You mentioned the trip from Sibenik to Scradin up the Krka river. Definitely well worth doing it. I did actually sail all the way up it once (we got into a bit of a race with an Elan that overtook us as we got close to the Sibenik bridge). I certainly wouldn't recommend sailing it! We were completely knackered by the end, short tacking in a gorge about 4 boat lengths wide against the wind and current, and the guy in the Elan won anyway, and wasn't even tired (he had electric winches).

I am sure that you will have a fantastic trip, I might even be going back to Croatia again this year (I think it was 2003 when I was last there), but out of Dubrovnik so no return to the Kornatis for me this time.

Martin
Goodall_M1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 10:17   #10

Rivalion - Here is the google earth file (I hope). Rgdg the sail from Sibenik to Skradin and back, we motored a lot of the way but there are a few sections where the river widens significantly (opens up into a lake of sorts) and we certainly raised the sails there and I remember some very good wind. We saved this part of the trip for the 6th day after a week of lots of wind and sailing it was nice to motor in the river slowly. Cheers.
Attached Files
File Type: kmz Croatia tour.kmz (98.2 KB, 64 views)
Menlim3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 10:27   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivalion View Post
Thanks for reply! It look great! But correct me if I am wrong - usually charters are on weekly basis from saturday around 1700 to next saturday 0900 - so I am afraid that we would not have full 7 days of sailing as you proposed ?

I have my own boat so don't know about charters and how many days in the WEEK they have. You asked for a week long charter, so I gave you some choices for 7 days.

sorry, can't help you more.
royalstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 20:39   #12

Boat: Clipper 60 SII

If you like being away from shops and Marinas then Sukosan is definitely better than Split. My wife and I are spoilt, here in New Zealand, for sailing destinations that get us away from shops and Marinas, so when we charter in Europe we often want to be tied up to town quays and quaint villages. Our choice for chartering in Croatia is Marina Frapa because it sits in between the populated Islands of Hvar, Brac, Vis etc.to the south and the quiet areas of the national park islands to the North. We then make a decision when we get there (based on weather, winds and what we feel like) and head north or south.
Whichever you choose it's a lovely part of the world filled with great people.
Kiwi. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Croatia, sail, sailing