Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2015, 19:35   #1

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40
Visiting Venice

I have always thought that sailing into Venice would be really great. So, that's on my list for this summer.

I know the marinas are crowded and that there is no anchoring allowed. Any idea how hard it is to find a berth? Someone said maybe August is best, since that's the holiday period and many yachts leave Venice to cruise Croatia, etc.

Any ideas or recommendations for marinas?

Thanks!

Jim
jim_thomsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2015, 00:34   #2

Boat: between boats
Re: Visiting Venice

Venice is awesome in your own boat. We did it in 2013 and it was the highlight of the adriatic for us.

There are places you can anchor in the lagoon north and south of Venice proper and the marinas to the north of the grand entrance (on the inside of the sand spit) are not too busy - great sunset views over venice and away from the maddening crowds via vaporetto. Downtown marinas very busy - wouldnt bother trying.

We were there in late June and didnt have a problem getting a berth for our cat which is always harder than a mono. Agree the later you go the less boats most likely as the hordes that headed back south with us in July surely had to be emptying some marinas somewhere!

They apparently have a fireworks show around 20 something July which Im told is worth sticking around for but was too late for us. Apparently there are areas in the lagoon you can anchor for the show which sounds pretty amazing.
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2015, 02:19   #3

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_thomsen View Post
I have always thought that sailing into Venice would be really great. So, that's on my list for this summer.

I know the marinas are crowded and that there is no anchoring allowed. Any idea how hard it is to find a berth? Someone said maybe August is best, since that's the holiday period and many yachts leave Venice to cruise Croatia, etc.

Any ideas or recommendations for marinas?

Thanks!

Jim
we did it last summer. you can anchor but i would not recommend it unless you really want to roll and i mean roll a lot and test your anchor. other boats and constant ferries creat quite a wake all day and night. and by the way the currents are wicked.

we stayed in marina fiorita. it was good as it is a ferry stop right at the marina so you do not have to go anywhere to catch a ferry. if you have a lot of money there is a marina right across from venice or a little less expensive is one just down from fiorita but it appeared you had travel some distance to catch the ferry. the people at fiorita were great, extremely helpful and fit us in with no issue. we were there in mid september.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2015, 02:00   #4

There is a great marina on Maria Maggiore right opposite St Marks. There is no hotel in Venice with a better view. We got in with no problem in June.

Charlie

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Hungry is offline   Reply With Quote