Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2021, 06:08   #1

Boat: Bavaria 46 (2007)
Using a kedge anchor vs line ashore

Hi all,

I have a question about med mooring with a line ashore.

I have done this a few times but it's always been a bit of a pain with my wife and I as we are shorthanded. I also don't have floating lines which makes it obviously harder.

I have a fortress anchor with about 10m of chain and then about 30m of rope. Sometimes it's easier to use that instead of a line ashore as we just go astern, dump it and then take up on the anchor.

I am heading to the Dodecanese and Turkey this year where I see this type of mooring is prevalent. Is there any reason I shouldn't just use the kedge anchor which I have found is pretty easy to set? Or should I bite the bullet and get some floating line and a reel. Any thoughts?
lawrence_craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2021, 07:13   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Using a kedge anchor vs line ashore

I've done it both ways. The big benefit of the line ashore is that it is more secure and more visibly secure, than your anchor. So in really gnarly weather, and especially in sloping bottoms where you may lose holding if you swing, I certainly prefer having a line ashore. But in many situations, a kedge to keep you aligned with a sloping bottom is fine. I often use a Fortress for this, and for Scandi bows-to mooring.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2021, 07:22   #3

It Depends...

Of course a Fortress CAN work as a efficient stern anchor. If it is a good idea, depends on the local situation.

How close to shore are you gong to be? Will you have room for a reasonable scope? In most cases where people are tying a stern line to shore, the shore is very steep, which means rocky, which means your Fortress will be "less than efficient."

In MOST cases, in MOST anchorages, doing what everybody else does is the most neighborly thing to do. It just means you fit in with the way other boats are sitting.

I am not saying you should, or should not use an anchor instead of a shore tie. Evaluate the local situation and decide. In other words, use good seamanship, and don't make a decision about how to anchor thousands of miles away.

Certainly if running a line to shore, a floating line is nice to have, but not needed. A "reel" is even less of a requirement. Just tie on the bitter end, and flake out the line on deck, or in the dinghy, whatever works best for you. If you run the line in a big loop back to the boat, any hassle on tying up is more than offset by ease of departure.
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2021, 13:05   #4

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30

I've dropped the stern anchor a few times to keep us steady while we get a line ashore but we have never stayed a night on the stern anchor. Floating line does make it easier to swim or dinghy your lines ashore but floating or not make sure you use rat guards or you could get a furry friend aboard...I have had rats on the boat twice and that's an experience I prefer not to repeat.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2021, 01:59   #5

Boat: Bavaria 46 (2007)

Great, maybe a combo of both will help.

What thickness long line do you tend to find best?
lawrence_craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2021, 10:45   #6

Boat: Catalina 36 MKI

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence_craig View Post
Hi all,

I have a question about med mooring with a line ashore.

I have done this a few times but it's always been a bit of a pain with my wife and I as we are shorthanded. I also don't have floating lines which makes it obviously harder.

I have a fortress anchor with about 10m of chain and then about 30m of rope. Sometimes it's easier to use that instead of a line ashore as we just go astern, dump it and then take up on the anchor.

I am heading to the Dodecanese and Turkey this year where I see this type of mooring is prevalent. Is there any reason I shouldn't just use the kedge anchor which I have found is pretty easy to set? Or should I bite the bullet and get some floating line and a reel. Any thoughts?
I've sailed that area for about 8 years and I rarely used a long line to anchor the stern to shore. You only need it on very narrow bays. But investing in some cheap floating line is a smart thing to do. You can use a lighter line to swim/dinghy ashore and then use that to pull the heaver line.
De.windhoos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor