Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2021, 00:29   #1

Boat: Beneteau 343 (34', 10.8m)
USA citizens moving to France, what happens to our sailboat?

Here's our situation:
- We are USA citizens, living in UK for past two years and relocating to France (with work/residence visa)
- While living in USA, we purchased a Spanish-flagged sailboat in Barcelona 2 years ago. The boat is still there.
- We have a document from prior owner showing VAT was paid and we paid more for the boat because of that.
- We are keeping the boat in Spain, but we reflagged with USA Coast Guard as I think it is supposed to follow citizenship
- Now that we are relocating to France, and that will be our primary residence, is there anything I need to be aware of? For example, I need to declare the boat being imported into France (from UK) on my custom forms for my house?

Thanks,
Ken
Kenpimentel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2021, 03:12   #2

Re: USA citizens moving to France, what happens to our sailboat?

Most important thing: The boat is VAT-paid (and not UK-Flagged). No troubles here for you as the boat is officially in the EU concerning the VAT.

Which flag to use depends on your convenience and what you're allowed to use. As USA citizens, you're allowed to use USA Flag. If you want to go with a French registration, fine also. It's independent of the place yo keep it and only loosely related to citizenship. Some countries allow only citizens to register boats, some allow citizens and residents, some don't care at all will register anyone. Keeping the Spanish flag might be a problem or unwise if you aren't a resident of Spain.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2021, 04:25   #3

Boat: Beneteau 343 (34', 10.8m)
Re: USA citizens moving to France, what happens to our sailboat?

Thanks for the fast response.
Kenpimentel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, France, sail, sailboat