Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2017, 14:20   #1

Boat: Custom 55
Turkish referendum passes, impact on cruising?

Hello to those of you in and knowledgeable about Turkey.

We've been keeping an eye on the results of the referendum, and were a bit surprised by the passage.

We've had Turkey in mind as a potential winter berth, but we're a little uneasy about the place these days.

So, my question- what kind of an impact, if any, do you think the latest vote will have to the climate in general there? We don't know enough about the place to have any idea. How are those of you on the ground there feeling about the continued viability of the place as a cruising destination for a US flagged boat?

It does sound like there's a bit of an exodus from there these days.

I've read Chuck's posts with interest. Anybody else have some direct experience to report?

Thanks for the feedback, TJ
Old 16-04-2017, 16:00   #2

Re: Turkish referendum passes, impact on cruising?

Don't think there will be any difference for cruisers. The West coast in Turkey is not in love with the guy and dance to a different drummer than the inland folks that always vote him in. Turkey is our favorite place in all our traveling to date (well over 40 countries ) we spent a year there and will be going back.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 23:07   #3

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

We thought it would pass regardless of what people told us. We were not surprised.

We had planned to spend one more year in Turkey if it was a no vote but now are headed to Israel and the Red Sea.

While we love the country and the people and had a great time here but will explain our reasoning later.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2017, 11:06   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Don't think there will be any difference for cruisers. The West coast in Turkey is not in love with the guy and dance to a different drummer than the inland folks that always vote him in. Turkey is our favorite place in all our traveling to date (well over 40 countries ) we spent a year there and will be going back.
Absolutely correct..

Tourism is only 8% of total turkish economy but much higher on the cruising grounds. As Robert said, this part of Turkey has never voted for the president, never.
Here are the result of the referendum in the costal area; Bodrum: 79% no, Marmaris 75 % no, Datça 80 % no, Göçek 84 % no..
Even the 3 big cities have voted no, Istanbul and Ankara a close no, İzmir 68 % no.
Concerning the american flag, no worries; you will se more USA flag than anywhere else as 90 % of turks are fliying Delaware state flag for avoiding the heavy taxes.
Well this might change as the government has passed a new law reducing VAT to 1 % and the sales taxes to 0% from previous 8 % on the sailing boats.

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2017, 12:15   #5

Boat: Catalina 36 MKI

If, and it's a big if, the results are accepted, the changes will go into effect after the next parliamentary elections in 2019.

The risk right now is how the government will respond to the challenge from the opposition, but that should be clear in a couple of days.

As cruisers we shouldn't be affected as long as you don't start a political discussion. In fact I think the prices for a long term berth in marinas will go further down.
De.windhoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2017, 15:58   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by De.windhoos View Post
If, and it's a big if, the results are accepted, the changes will go into effect after the next parliamentary elections in 2019.

The risk right now is how the government will respond to the challenge from the opposition, but that should be clear in a couple of days.

As cruisers we shouldn't be affected as long as you don't start a political discussion. In fact I think the prices for a long term berth in marinas will go further down.
They have a long way to go down as they were aggressively raised for several years before the current slow down. It's always harder to get business back that you lost by being a bit greedy
Old 17-04-2017, 16:27   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ D View Post
Hello to those of you in and knowledgeable about Turkey.

We've been keeping an eye on the results of the referendum, and were a bit surprised by the passage.

We've had Turkey in mind as a potential winter berth, but we're a little uneasy about the place these days.

So, my question- what kind of an impact, if any, do you think the latest vote will have to the climate in general there? We don't know enough about the place to have any idea. How are those of you on the ground there feeling about the continued viability of the place as a cruising destination for a US flagged boat?

It does sound like there's a bit of an exodus from there these days.

I've read Chuck's posts with interest. Anybody else have some direct experience to report?

Thanks for the feedback, TJ

I guess I've been to Turkey 50 times over the last 25 years, for both business and tourism, and my Father was going there in the '50's, before I was born. I know the place well and have a number of Turkish friends.

While what is happening is really tragic for Turks -- dashing the hopes of so many -- I am sure that there will be no effect at all on cruisers. The West of Turkey, and especially the coastal areas, are a different country altogether.

I would not let this unpleasantness affect my plans, if I were you. Turkey is a magical place and I can hardly think of a better place to spend a winter or a year or a few years.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2017, 17:20   #8
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Turkish referendum passes, impact on cruising?

I won't let it bother me overmuch.. its got its nutters just like everywhere else..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2017, 17:34   #9

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I won't let it bother me overmuch.. its got its nutters just like everywhere else..
Wasn't it Horace Greeley who said "Go west, young man!" That's Turkey for cruisers.... stay over on the western part for fun (Black Sea for adventure).

BTW: Boatman? Dude.... Great new signature tag-line!

"The superior sailor uses his superior knowledge to avoid situations requiring his superior skill."
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2017, 17:47   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Turkish referendum passes, impact on cruising?

Quote:
Originally Posted by svmariane View Post
Wasn't it Horace Greeley who said "Go west, young man!" That's Turkey for cruisers.... stay over on the western part for fun (Black Sea for adventure).

BTW: Boatman? Dude.... Great new signature tag-line!

"The superior sailor uses his superior knowledge to avoid situations requiring his superior skill."
Glad you enjoyed the humour.. I stole it..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2017, 20:45   #11

I think it originally was pilots but cruisers work as well.
Old 19-04-2017, 00:22   #12

Boat: Oyster 435 - Miyagi Moon
Send a message via Skype™ to miyagimoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post

We had planned to spend one more year in Turkey if it was a no vote but now are headed to Israel and the Red Sea.
Come and join us, you will love it. https://www.facebook.com/medasiasailingsafari/
miyagimoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2017, 00:56   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by miyagimoon View Post
Come and join us, you will love it. https://www.facebook.com/medasiasailingsafari/

That is interesting and something I have thought about. But we are getting older and not many years left and once in the south pacific how do we get back to the Panama Canal? the options are not that great and some downright scary

still looking through
Old 19-04-2017, 01:00   #14

Boat: Oyster 435 - Miyagi Moon
Send a message via Skype™ to miyagimoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
once in the south pacific how do we get back to the Panama Canal?
miyagimoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2017, 01:04   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
Absolutely correct..

Tourism is only 8% of total turkish economy but much higher on the cruising grounds. As Robert said, this part of Turkey has never voted for the president, never.
Here are the result of the referendum in the costal area; Bodrum: 79% no, Marmaris 75 % no, Datça 80 % no, Göçek 84 % no..
Even the 3 big cities have voted no, Istanbul and Ankara a close no, İzmir 68 % no.

Cheers

Yeloya

The real issue is the uncertainty. At what point does a one man rule gov't decide that enough is enough and puts his stamp on the country and dissident are rounded up. All the press who can oppose are in jail or fired and gov't controls all the media.
it is not a big leap to think what could happen and we are not willing to stay to find out.
We have friends here active on the no side and getting worried that they get a knock on the door.
It is sad because we love Turkey and Turkish people and had a great time here but time for us to leave.
As for that matter I was reluctant to write even this as who knows who may read this and cause us trouble. just saying - uncertainty

Tags
cruising