Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2017, 02:31   #16

Boat: Currently in between
Re: Turkish referendum passes, impact on cruising?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
Well this might change as the government has passed a new law reducing VAT to 1 % and the sales taxes to 0% from previous 8 % on the sailing boats.

Cheers

Yeloya
So it's possible prices on used boats may go up?
Old 20-04-2017, 03:41   #17

Boat: Jeanneau 45,2

I don't think that you will face any problems in turkey because of the referendum!
There are nice people at coastal turkey !!
Stakaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2017, 03:44   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Bacchus View Post

I think (I hope because I am on the search also )that the price will go down because of taxe reduces!!
Old 21-04-2017, 06:49   #19
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

I don't see the correlation between the tax reduction and the price of boats which are going down. The changes have been made to promote the sales of boat in Turkey and for turkish citizens.
Am I missing something ?
Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2017, 03:01   #20

Quote:
Am I missing something ?
Cheers

Yeloya
Probably not and that was why I was asking.

I thought sometimes when taxes go down and ownership is more attractive the demand goes up which may cause prices to go up. I was looking for an insider's view so thanks for your input!
Old 22-04-2017, 05:07   #21
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

I thought sometimes when taxes go down and ownership is more attractive the demand goes up which may cause prices to go up. I was looking for an insider's view so thanks for your input!
The prices didn't go up, just the opposite..As the charter Business is very poor, many boat owners couldn't make enough money and there are plenty of charter boats available at attractive prices. Some of them are in very good some others are in poor conditions.

If you are hunting a boat, it could be worth to take a look..

Cheers

Yeloya
Old 22-04-2017, 07:27   #22

Boat: Catalina 36 MKI

Quote:

In general it might become more attractive for Turkish people to buy a secondhand boat flying a Turkish flag, but unfortunately the economy is slowing down dramatically and the Turkish Lira has dropped like stone therefore think twice before buying a boat.

For non Turkish people (except Americans) it doesn't matter if the boat is under US or under Turkish flag because they will probably reflag it anyway.
De.windhoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2017, 08:33   #23

Boat: Bayfield 36 Cutter

Quote:
Not really.... There is a huge mooring/docking shortage in big coastal cities where most Turkish sailors would buy and keep their boats.... Docking in an Istanbul marina may cost $5000/year for a 30-35 footer.... If you are lucky or well connected to jump the looong waitlist.....
Tafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2017, 02:22   #24
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by De.windhoos View Post
In general it might become more attractive for Turkish people to buy a secondhand boat flying a Turkish flag, but unfortunately the economy is slowing down dramatically and the Turkish Lira has dropped like stone therefore think twice before buying a boat.
This is not correct because according to the law, for being elligeable to change yr flag into turkish one, one needs to own a boat prior to the law. (Ithink this was in Jan 2017) In other words, you cannot buy foreign flag boat and fly turkish flag unless you prove that you owned it before Jan 2017.

Turkish Lira is not dropping like a stone, just the opposite; to me it's overvalued currently. In Jan we have seen 4,10 TL to 1 Euro and today it's 3,90 TL..
However the economy is very volatile and can drop again, who knows to what..

Cheers

Yeloya
Old 23-04-2017, 02:53   #25

Boat: Catalina 36 MKI

Quote:
This is not correct because according to the law, for being elligeable to change yr flag into turkish one, one needs to own a boat prior to the law. (Ithink this was in Jan 2017) In other words, you cannot buy foreign flag boat and fly turkish flag unless you prove that you owned it before Jan 2017.

Yeloya
Sorry, what I meant is that I might be more attractive for Turkish people to buy a Turkish flagged second hand boat. Probably less hassle, because what I understand of the old Delaware US method, is that you essentially setup a US company that then owns the boat. But I might be totally wrong here.
De.windhoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2017, 19:47   #26

At any rate as a US buyer in the market for a good used boat it will certainly be worthwhile to check out boats for sale in Turkey.

What is the best website for looking in Turkey? I see some on Yachtworld but I imagine there are better sites from the Med or even Turkey itself.
Old 24-04-2017, 00:44   #27

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Back to the topic at hand -- yesterday we had lunch with some expats from the EU who have been in Turkey for over 10 years and own a house and thinking of leaving -
they have lots of friends here but are beginning to feel they are no long welcome.

We met them at a restaurant/bar where we stop and have a glass of wine on occasion and became friends. We and they go there quite a bit and they have been going there for 10 years - the other day after the referendum passed the owners told them they did not need their kind there as Turkey as 80m people and can take care of their own and did not need foreigners -
this is not the first time we have felt this but is most blatant yet that we simply not welcome -
We feel sorry for the people we know here as it if this continues it will not be a good outcome.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2017, 02:22   #28

I am Greek and between us and Turkish people there is hate plant it to each other form governments /politicians and several more groups of people ... from our childhood we learnt to hate each other which takes me years to take it out from me .. I have visit turkey several time and I think the majority of people are very friendly .. there are of course many stupid people full of hate in their souls but i think there are many stupid in my country also and milion more in countries all over the world ...
Old 25-04-2017, 04:40   #29
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
We and they go there quite a bit and they have been going there for 10 years - the other day after the referendum passed the owners told them they did not need their kind there as Turkey as 80m people and can take care of their own and did not need foreigners -
this is not the first time we have felt this but is most blatant yet that we simply not welcome -
Sorry Chuck but this is ridiculous.. One or couple idiots' statement does not bind a country of 80 millions.. Idiots are everywhere and here also we have some.

If I go to country X and someone tells me that I am not wanted there, should I deem that this country X is hostile against foreigners ?
Is there any specific person to represent the entire country ?

You may have decided to leave the country whatever the reason is. No one can argue with yr decision, but stating that because the referendum has resulted "yes", we became hostile against foreigners is not fair. Turkey has a long tradition of being friendly with foreigners, particularly the coastal area..

Cheers

Yeloya
Old 03-05-2017, 06:28   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
they go there quite a bit and they have been going there for 10 years
Wow, just like that! Like you threw a switch, boom, not wanted anymore! Agree with the post by yeloya that one incident doesn't define a country but ya gotta wonder what the restaurant owner was thinking for the past 10 years? Was he/she harboring hate and kept it hidden?

I can't sit on the other side of the world and armchair quarterback. I hope it was an isolated incident and will wait to see what feelings are expressed once the dust settles and life in Turkey gets back to normal, whatever the new normal will be.

Tags
cruising