Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2016, 04:42   #16
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Turkey: Terrorist threats to cruising areas.

Ohhhhhh...!!
We Are sensitive today are we not...??
No ones denigrating you mate.. just a gentle jest to another 'medium timer' on here.. methinks you need some time at sea to lighten up.. all the socializing is messing with your Chi...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 04:44   #17

Agree with MarkJ. The desire to downplay warnings expresses a naïveté which I can only envy.

There was no advanced warning for the day I watched 3,000 of my friends and neighbors murdered. There was no advanced warning for Madrid, Paris, or Brussels. Just a lot dead bodies and shattered lives afterwards.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 04:50   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
We are in Turkey and have no plans to leave. The warnings by the US Gov't are what they are. We have been in more than one country where they told us not to go or leave and we generally ignore them. A lot of it is CYA --
BUT saying that the Israel Gov't told their citizens to get out. Now that made us sit up and listen. We are in Kusadasi - a tourist port and will avoid going downtown when a cruise ship is in - Setur Marina has great security so we do not worry here.
And then again we hope to sail the Black Sea this summer - any idea what my insurance company thinks of that idea?
And of course we spent 2 winters in Tunisia -

OH one thing on the USA embassy in Turkey -- we have sent 6 notes to the embassy to be put on the watch notice so we could get alerts - we have yet to hear back from them - what a joke they are --
We spent 8 months in Kusadasi 2 years ago and land traveled all through Turkey, lovely spot and great people. Best fruit and vegetables we have ever had. We'd go back in a heart beat. R
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 05:19   #19
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Turkey: Terrorist threats to cruising areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Agree with MarkJ. The desire to downplay warnings expresses a naïveté which I can only envy.

There was no advanced warning for the day I watched 3,000 of my friends and neighbors murdered. There was no advanced warning for Madrid, Paris, or Brussels. Just a lot dead bodies and shattered lives afterwards.
There's never any advanced warning.. that's just it.. that's why its called terrorism.
There was no warning as you say in France, Spain or Belgium.. but then there was none in Columbine and many other places.. there's no real protection from the 'Crazies'.. an awareness...?? Yes..!!
However..
Life must go on.. and does.. many times your trying to dodge the bullet and, just by trying to do so, it may put one into the bullets path..
There was no warning as I walked down a road in P.E.C.H.S, Karachi one day and a blacked out car screeched to a stop a couple of shops ahead of me and sent bursts of AK fire into the store front before tearing off..
Did not jump on the 1st flight home.. in fact was there for 3 months more..
Hell.. one can even get killed in the UK on the way to work..
Could have been a victim of the Coventry or Birmingham bombings in the 70's.. lived, worked and played in both cities at the time.. still had Irish mates though.. the same applies to the current situation.. don't give up the Curries and Kofta's because of the Few..
When its been a part of your life for all of your life its not naïveté..
Its more like day to day Reality..
Get a grip Ladies...

PS: Should add about a week ago we were having a chuckle about the US evacuating all its staffs dependant families and pets from Turkey.. right down to some Goldfish..
The threat is near the Capital and Istanbul.. on the coasts it'll be as before.. the random nut job.. like the bloke on the London Tube who decided to have a try at decapitating someone.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 05:51   #20

When you run home and lock the door afraid to go anywhere, the terrorists have won. Obviously it makes sense to take some precautions in life but odds are on your side.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 07:47   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Its good that Mark posted the advice but I agree that it hasnt, thus far, changed my opinion regarding Turkey. It shall remain high on my list as a friendly place to sail, with decent resources and excellent sailing and food. Unlike many Western nations, the Turks dont mess around when it comes to terrorists. I agree that doesnt help those that get injured or worse, but I am happier knowing that the Turkish authorities treat the terrorists as the terrorists treat everyone - zero rights. I am all for supporting the Turks on their war against terrorism by continuing to sail there, but remain grateful to Mark for high lighting the situation.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 08:25   #22

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

I lived in Saudi Arabia for 16 years, and we received frequent warnings by email during our years in Arabia. The embassies are basically covering their buns when they issue these warnings.

You really don't need the embassy to tell you that Turkey has a slightly higher risk of terrorism than a few years ago. But if you stay out public transportation in large cities and avoid tourist meccas, your risk is extremely low.

Yachts are more likely to be affected by random acts of stupidity than to be direct targets of terrorism.

Common sense would allow me to cruise the southern coast of Turkey without fear, but I would exercise good judgment on inland travel and stay out of soft targets that are popular among tourists.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 09:46   #23

Boat: Turkish Gulet, 19m

Don't worry but stay away from popular tourist spots where many tourists gather. These days I stay away from the Fetiye fishmarket for diner😢
ColonelWima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 08:09   #24

Boat: Ex Salina 48, now Lagoon 380
Send a message via Skype™ to spiv

We've just been in Turkey for the third time, we'll be back in two months.
Turkey has the best cruising grounds in Europe, super friendly people, great ecological policies, a strong police presence, good prices and as it has been said the best fruit....

We normally stay out of crowded places as we actually do not like them, and I doubt that there is a terrorist there so dumb as to want to waste his bomb and perhaps life on a yacht in order to kill a couple of cruisers.
spiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 08:41   #25

Boat: Chris White Voyager 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
The US government is warning of credible threats... for the first time including crusing areas...:

"The U.S. Mission in Turkey would like to inform U.S. citizens that there are credible threats to tourist areas, in particular to public squares and docks in Istanbul and Antalya,"

U.S. Embassy warns citizens about 'credible threats' in Turkey | Reuters

Sent from a stupid phone that replaces words with weird stuff.
MarkJ, thanks for posting this information. How anyone person chooses to react is up to them, but it's another bit of info to consider when making plans.

Best regards,

Tags
cruising, Turkey