Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2017, 14:26   #31

Boat: Chris Craft 47 Commander
Re: Turkey, Izmir, Car Bomb, 40 ISIS Terrorists arrested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elie View Post
That's the real sorry fact about what goes almost every where in Middle East: Violence and terrorism are closing all these wonderfull areas of travel and sailing, with nice weather, culture and sites.
But is that so surprising?. We live in denial of actions of that bring all theses terribles deeds. When one look back, he may ask himself what are the net results of so many wars: Vietnam (1million casualities) and now a good friend, The first Gulf War to save an corrupt and dictatorial regime controlled by a corrupt clan. Let alone friendship with horrible radical anti democratic regimes that sell us oil.
When there were no cars or planes, the trading ships of the time avoided the mid-east ports when their little wars were underway, and the camel caravans took different routes to avoid being robbed and killed. And what do you know of Vietnam? I flew combat there for well over a year and met many of the Vietnamese on the ground. We were there honoring a treaty until Nixon tucked his tail and pulled us out. You know, one of those things where we'd given our word that we'd help against aggression? Our friends? Like other communist countries we now so blithely visit, they're your friend as long as you give them your American money, just like China and all the rest. There's your denial. Left wing kool-aid. Anti-democracy? You think America is a democracy? Look the word up in a dictionary. Big difference. America is a Republic. Always has been, and as long as people like me are still around, always will be.
Old 05-01-2017, 14:36   #32
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Turkey, Izmir, Car Bomb, 40 ISIS Terrorists arrested

Quote:
Originally Posted by varkpilot View Post
When there were no cars or planes, the trading ships of the time avoided the mid-east ports when their little wars were underway, and the camel caravans took different routes to avoid being robbed and killed. And what do you know of Vietnam? I flew combat there for well over a year and met many of the Vietnamese on the ground. We were there honoring a treaty until Nixon tucked his tail and pulled us out. You know, one of those things where we'd given our word that we'd help against aggression? Our friends? Like other communist countries we now so blithely visit, they're your friend as long as you give them your American money, just like China and all the rest. There's your denial. Left wing kool-aid. Anti-democracy? You think America is a democracy? Look the word up in a dictionary. Big difference. America is a Republic. Always has been, and as long as people like me are still around, always will be.
there was no fixed beginning for the U.S. war in Vietnam. The United States entered that war incrementally, in a series of steps between 1950 and 1965. In May 1950, President Harry S. Truman authorized a modest program of economic and military aid to the French, who were fighting to retain control of their Indochina colony, including Laos and Cambodia as well as Vietnam. When the Vietnamese Nationalist (and Communist-led) Vietminh army defeated French forces at Dienbienphu in 1954, the French were compelled to accede to the creation of a Communist Vietnam north of the 17th parallel while leaving a non-Communist entity south of that line. The United States refused to accept the arrangement. The administration of President Dwight D. Eisenhower undertook instead to build a nation from the spurious political entity that was South Vietnam by fabricating a government there, taking over control from the French, dispatching military advisers to train a South Vietnamese army, and unleashing the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) to conduct psychological warfare against the North... etc etc..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 05-01-2017, 14:50   #33
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
it seems to me that Turkey become a part of EC will be out of question, probably for many years.
Yes thanks God, we'll stay away.. and not for many years, but forever..I don't know Europe but, here nobody's anymore is in favour of joining Europe.

Meanwhile I don't know for how long EC will ever exist..Poor and corrupted South countries cannot be melted in one pot with developped ands wealthy Northern countries.. And the money that the tax payers in North are spending to support the South has limits. If they don't see it yet, they will soon realise when 1 USD will only worth 0,7-0,8 € towards the end of this year..

Cheers

Yeloya
Old 05-01-2017, 14:51   #34

Boat: Chris Craft 47 Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
there was no fixed beginning for the U.S. war in Vietnam. The United States entered that war incrementally, in a series of steps between 1950 and 1965. In May 1950, President Harry S. Truman authorized a modest program of economic and military aid to the French, who were fighting to retain control of their Indochina colony, including Laos and Cambodia as well as Vietnam. When the Vietnamese Nationalist (and Communist-led) Vietminh army defeated French forces at Dienbienphu in 1954, the French were compelled to accede to the creation of a Communist Vietnam north of the 17th parallel while leaving a non-Communist entity south of that line. The United States refused to accept the arrangement. The administration of President Dwight D. Eisenhower undertook instead to build a nation from the spurious political entity that was South Vietnam by fabricating a government there, taking over control from the French, dispatching military advisers to train a South Vietnamese army, and unleashing the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) to conduct psychological warfare against the North... etc etc..
Very true, Boatman. As an Air Force colonel, I was required to know about all that. There was a non-aggression treaty, though, and that's why Ike sent in the first advisors and we escalated from there. My squadron first arrived in 1968. Just a note, I don't think there was a sane American that really wanted to be there. I sure didn't, but there we were. I knew a little about the CIA ops there, and it was sure nothing to brag about. To this day, I have no use for those people. Sad.
Old 05-01-2017, 15:28   #35
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Berlin has no cruising boats.

Turkey has whacked a media ban on this story so perhaps cruisers in the Izmir area will not hear if this except via CF.

You always appear in denial. I know why. Your business depends on sailing tourists. Instead of being in denial it may be better to assist cruisers with good advice.

As any situation changes it is best to fully inform people. Not hide or belittle the information.

Mark
Yes but Nice has many..What I am trying to say is that terrorism can find anybody anywhere. On the other hand, noone yet has been shot while sailing on Turkish coasts.

Some informations are not disclosed until the investigation is complete. Otherwise you can find all other info both on local and international media. With a social media nowadays it's impossible to hide anything. Our government has tried to slow down the the acces to social media (facebook, instagram, twitter, etc) after such events in the past but have now seen that this doesn't help and they don't do it anymore..

Yes , not the biggest part, but some of my business is about sailing tourists. Turkey has lost last year 30 % of of its tourist income, so did the charter Business. Yr ex company has closed 2 of their bases in Turkey and reduced significantly the number of boats. One swedish, one british, one dutch charter company has closed, 3 locals have bancrupted, one russian move the half of the fleet to Croatia. We are still alive because most of our boats are company owned and have a 35 years of good reputation and plenty of repeat customer. So, you shouldn't worry about me, I am not worried either..

Finally, I try to give my candid opinion to anybody on this forum on every matter that I can help. I can understand yr prejudice about Turkey because of bad experience you had here. Turkey is the 6th country in the world in incoming tourist number and it's impossible to make everyone happy.

Cheers

Yeloya
Old 05-01-2017, 16:59   #36

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

A few years ago we did a cruise in the Greek Isles and we also went to Turkey and toured Ephefis (sp). We had a wonderful tour guide and really enjoyed most the day. Until a cab ride back to our boat at the end of the day. The driver was very rude and when asked to refrain from insulting my wife said that soon they would take over the country and "fix things". I asked how they were going to support this change and he said "Tourism!" I reminded him that he had just made my wife very uncomfortable and if they treated their customers rudely they would find it difficult to pay their bills. He told me I didn't understand how these things work. It was a beautiful area with many wonderful people but we won't go back.
Old 05-01-2017, 17:07   #37

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

Too many... turkey, iran, saudi arabia, are trying to play a strategic role larger than they can afford.

Iraq is out of this race. Who's next?

In the meantime, Russia has consolidated its standing and influence in the region
Old 05-01-2017, 17:29   #38
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

I've enjoyed Turkey both the W coast (Kusadasi), along the Canakkali where I anchored a couple of times and Pendik.. met many nice people everywhere..
Just gotta be aware of the eternal nutters in the world.. some folk love violence plain and simple.

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 05-01-2017, 17:34   #39

Boat: beneteau OC 352

i got an idea.. lets go to the most unsophisticated part of the world, unstabilize their government and perpetuate and exacerbate a confrontation between all the local factions.. Then we'll trade with both/all sides, weapons for whatever resources they have and watch them kill each other. Worry about public outcry?? dont be silly... we'll have the media get on the air everyday and pound away that these poor fools are being oppressed and that something has to be done to help liberate these fine people until we get the funding to put boots on the ground... after all, someone has to help these people protect their resources..our multi-nationals cant do security too.

I bet we can make billions
Old 05-01-2017, 17:37   #40
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Look out Zimbabwe..

Old 05-01-2017, 17:46   #41

Boat: beneteau OC 352

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Look out Zimbabwe..

arent they digging lithium out of there?? or is it oil or diamonds?
Old 05-01-2017, 17:46   #42

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by varkpilot View Post
When there were no cars or planes, the trading ships of the time avoided the mid-east ports when their little wars were underway, and the camel caravans took different routes to avoid being robbed and killed..... You think America is a democracy? Look the word up in a dictionary. Big difference. America is a Republic. Always has been, and as long as people like me are still around, always will be.
Fact is that for many thousands of years the middle east was a bright beacon in what regards civilization. Our civilization born there. Not so many centuries ago they were still one of the brightest lights on human culture, when there was no cars and airplanes and the trade routes passed all there: Camels and ships. This was the main trading routes till the Portuguese discovered the sea way to the east:

Some Americans have a funny way regarding considering the US to be a Republic as it was something out of the ordinary. Plenty Republics around, some are democratic others not. Regarding the western culture it is far more important to be a democracy than a Republic.

For instance China and North Korea are republics but not democratic Republics. Russian federation is a state constituted by 85 constituent units. 22 of them are Republics

United kingdom, Spain, Belgium, Netherlands, norway, Sweden and Denmark are democratic monarchies.

Do you think than to be a Republic is more important than to be a Democracy?
Old 05-01-2017, 17:56   #43

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThunderbird View Post
Too many... turkey, iran, saudi arabia, are trying to play a strategic role larger than they can afford.

Iraq is out of this race. Who's next?

In the meantime, Russia has consolidated its standing and influence in the region
Yes iraq is out of that race and was substituted by ISIS. More "next" eliminated by the ones that "can afford" to play a strategic role will only lead to more ISIS and to the consolidation of Russia and China. Aggression is a very bad way to consolidate something these days.
Old 05-01-2017, 18:03   #44

We spent almost a year in Turkey and it was one of the nicest travel experiences we have had. Wonderful people, great food and very reasonable prices. If you want to see the finest of past Greek civilizations you will find them in Turkey. We will be going back sometime soon.
Old 05-01-2017, 18:04   #45
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Yes iraq is out of that race and was substituted by ISIS. More "next" eliminated by the ones that "can afford" to play a strategic role will only lead to more ISIS and to the consolidation of Russia and China. Aggression is a very bad way to consolidate something these days.
But Polux.. just think of all those poor folks who'll become unemployed if there's no one to buy the guns and bombs..
The Western economy would crash..

Closed Thread

Tags
Turkey