Cruisers Forum
 


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2017, 11:26   #16
Deep Water Deliveries
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PORTUGAL
Posts: 26,814
Images: 2
pirate Re: Turkey, Izmir, Car Bomb, 40 ISIS Terrorists arrested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
For sure he is going to make it a different ship,but probably not sinking it.

What Erdogan is doing is taking Turkey from the Western world (abandoning the idea of integrating EC) and turning their views to the Islamic world where it looks for a predominant role and quite possibly will have it with the support of Russia. Turkey has 98% of Muslims and they are supporting Erdogan.

That puts also in question Turkey's role with NATO. For now he is playing with both sides in what regards that even if I cannot see it as a sustainable position.
Cannot blame him/them really.. the EU has been playing games with the Turks for at least two decades.. extract the urine long enough they'll go elsewhere.. at least they've not got the same **** to put up with as Brexit.. so many Governments losing their sterling revenue are gonna try to make life difficult...
Personally I'd give em the finger..
__________________


Born to be Wild.
boatman61 is offline  
Old 05-01-2017, 11:40   #17
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: WY / Currently in Hayes VA on the Chesapeake
Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44
Posts: 1,153
Re: Turkey, Izmir, Car Bomb, 40 ISIS Terrorists arrested

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Yes, it's a pity the middle east is so screwed up, thanks to the USA that just had to go into Iraq with no probable cause. Most of the Syrian bloodshed came from the aftermath of Iraq. Turkey is paying a hell of a price as well.
The Middle East has been fighting with it's self and everybody else since long before the US even existed much less got involved a few years ago. Not that I don't think we would have been better off staying out of the fracas.....
darylat8750 is offline  
Old 05-01-2017, 11:45   #18
Registered User
 
Kokanee's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Adelaide Australia
Boat: Cuddles 30ft Motor Sailer
Posts: 285
Re: Turkey, Izmir, Car Bomb, 40 ISIS Terrorists arrested

Yes- Turkey is an interesting country. It has the 18th biggest economy in the world (the biggest in the middle east despite not having any oil).
I can see them mopping up the middle east as it collapses into chaos. The only thing standing in the way is the Kurdish population on their southern boundary. Hence - the need to paint the PPK as the enemy.
Kokanee is offline  
Old 05-01-2017, 11:57   #19
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 5,981
Re: Turkey, Izmir, Car Bomb, 40 ISIS Terrorists arrested

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylat8750 View Post
The Middle East has been fighting with it's self and everybody else since long before the US even existed much less got involved a few years ago. Not that I don't think we would have been better off staying out of the fracas.....
I don't disagree with you but the wars theses days with the wests modern weapons is killing people at a rate that's hard to comprehend. ISIS is a direct decedent from Bush's war and these are smart people with a good understanding of command and control. Fortunately the Americans have a new leader that is smarter than all his generals.
robert sailor is offline  
Old 05-01-2017, 12:49   #20
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Albemarle Sound NC
Boat: Catalina Morgan 440
Posts: 9
Re: Turkey, Izmir, Car Bomb, 40 ISIS Terrorists arrested

Oh dear, how sad to see this forum degenerating into political slander, and I was under the impression that it was about boats, sailing and sailors etc.
Can we keep it apolitical please?
boogalloo is offline  
Old 05-01-2017, 12:55   #21
Deep Water Deliveries
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PORTUGAL
Posts: 26,814
Images: 2
pirate Re: Turkey, Izmir, Car Bomb, 40 ISIS Terrorists arrested

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogalloo View Post
Oh dear, how sad to see this forum degenerating into political slander, and I was under the impression that it was about boats, sailing and sailors etc.
Can we keep it apolitical please?
What up.. Terrorists not as funky as so called Pirates in the Philippine's..
There's a lot of Western sailors in Turkey including some members of CF.. just coz your not there don't make it irrelevant..
__________________


Born to be Wild.
boatman61 is offline  
Old 05-01-2017, 13:07   #22
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Albemarle Sound NC
Boat: Catalina Morgan 440
Posts: 9
Re: Turkey, Izmir, Car Bomb, 40 ISIS Terrorists arrested

Boatman - you missed the point - of course terrorism, piracy and any other threat is relevant when it concerns CF, I did not say otherwise.
boogalloo is offline  
Old 05-01-2017, 13:30   #23
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Marmaris
Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018
Posts: 1,295
Re: Turkey, Izmir, Car Bomb, 40 ISIS Terrorists arrested

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Breaking news: A car bomb has exploded in the port city of Izmir in Turkey. Followed by gun fight.
1 dead 3 injured
Gun fight in inside a courthouse, the car bomb was outside the courthouse

Izmir explosion: Two 'terrorists' shot dead after car bomb and gunfire outside courthouse in Turkey | The Independent

Yesterday 40 ISIS Terrorists were detained in Izmir
40 ISIL suspects linked to Istanbul nightclub attack detained in Turkey’s İzmir - CRIME
Well done Mark, you didn't miss the opportunity as a catastrophe reporter.

But you missed (I am sure not intentionally..) the tragedies in Nice and recently and Berlin, killing respectively around 90 and 11 people.

What these idiots are trying to do is exactly what you are doing; scaring & terrorising people, so pls give up, at least on this forum supposed to be a "cruising" forum.

If you want to be 100% safe, you stay at home; there is no safe place on earth. The poor people in Berlin were not cruisiers or tourists, just poor people trying to buy something for their beloved in Christmas.
If someone considers Turkey more risky than anywhere else, he/she may chose to not to come. Unfortunately, this is actually what these terrorists are trying to achieve.

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline  
Old 05-01-2017, 13:43   #24
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2007
Boat: GibSea 472
Posts: 482
Re: Turkey, Izmir, Car Bomb, 40 ISIS Terrorists arrested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolus6 View Post
Pity about the unnecessary loss of life and the fact such beautiful cruising grounds as those by Marmaris may now be out of bounds for safety reasons.

However, this was not a surprise.
.
That's the real sorry fact about what goes almost every where in Middle East: Violence and terrorism are closing all these wonderfull areas of travel and sailing, with nice weather, culture and sites.
But is that so surprising?. We live in denial of actions of that bring all theses terribles deeds. When one look back, he may ask himself what are the net results of so many wars: Vietnam (1million casualities) and now a good friend, The first Gulf War to save an corrupt and dictatorial regime controlled by a corrupt clan. Let alone friendship with horrible radical anti democratic regimes that sell us oil.
Elie is offline  
Old 05-01-2017, 14:17   #25
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Toronto
Boat: Grampian 26
Posts: 164
Re: Turkey, Izmir, Car Bomb, 40 ISIS Terrorists arrested

Am I missing something? Is your boat in Turkey?
astokel is offline  
Old 05-01-2017, 14:29   #26
Registered User
 
varkpilot's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Houston, Texas
Boat: Chris Craft 47 Commander
Posts: 110
Re: Turkey, Izmir, Car Bomb, 40 ISIS Terrorists arrested

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Yes, it's a pity the middle east is so screwed up, thanks to the USA that just had to go into Iraq with no probable cause. Most of the Syrian bloodshed came from the aftermath of Iraq. Turkey is paying a hell of a price as well.
Thanks to the USA??? Have you ever read history? Those people have been killing each other for thousands of years, long before the US was even dreamed of. And when the US finally pulls out of the region, those people will continue to kill each other. Get a grip!!!
varkpilot is offline  
Old 05-01-2017, 14:55   #27
Registered User
 
Polux's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Portugal/Med
Boat: Comet 41s
Posts: 6,140
Re: Turkey, Izmir, Car Bomb, 40 ISIS Terrorists arrested

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Cannot blame him/them really.. the EU has been playing games with the Turks for at least two decades.. extract the urine long enough they'll go elsewhere.. at least they've not got the same **** to put up with as Brexit.. so many Governments losing their sterling revenue are gonna try to make life difficult...
Personally I'd give em the finger..
I find odd that you don't know that but the only thing that prevented Turkey to become a member was because it never managed to reunite the several criteria that is needed to accept a state as state member, namely in what regards human rights and democracy among other factors.

Turkey have been monitored and helped by the EC for many years regarding the ability to reunite that criteria but now given the state of the country regarding those particular two items it seems to me that Turkey become a part of EC will be out of question, probably for many years.
Polux is offline  
Old 05-01-2017, 14:55   #28
Long Range Cruiser
 
MarkJ's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Posts: 12,823
Images: 25
Re: Turkey, Izmir, Car Bomb, 40 ISIS Terrorists arrested

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post

But you missed (I am sure not intentionally..) the tragedies in Nice and recently and Berlin, killing respectively around 90 and 11 people.

What these idiots are trying to do is exactly what you are doing; scaring & terrorising people, so pls give up, at least on this forum supposed to be a "cruising" forum.


Yeloya
Berlin has no cruising boats.

Turkey has whacked a media ban on this story so perhaps cruisers in the Izmir area will not hear if this except via CF.

You always appear in denial. I know why. Your business depends on sailing tourists. Instead of being in denial it may be better to assist cruisers with good advice.

As any situation changes it is best to fully inform people. Not hide or belittle the information.


Mark
MarkJ is offline  
Old 05-01-2017, 15:01   #29
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2007
Boat: GibSea 472
Posts: 482
Re: Turkey, Izmir, Car Bomb, 40 ISIS Terrorists arrested

Quote:
Originally Posted by varkpilot View Post
Thanks to the USA??? Have you ever read history? Those people have been killing each other for thousands of years, long before the US was even dreamed of. And when the US finally pulls out of the region, those people will continue to kill each other. Get a grip!!!
You are right. The only difference is that they used to assassinate each other in artisanal maner, with sabres and knives. But now, thanks to all of us, and our modern technology that we brought to them, they do kill in an industrial way, more efficiently, and in large scale.
Elie is offline  
Old 05-01-2017, 15:17   #30
Deep Water Deliveries
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PORTUGAL
Posts: 26,814
Images: 2
pirate Re: Turkey, Izmir, Car Bomb, 40 ISIS Terrorists arrested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
I find odd that you don't know that but the only thing that prevented Turkey to become a member was because it never managed to reunite the several criteria that is needed to accept a state as state member, namely in what regards human rights and democracy among other factors.

Turkey have been monitored and helped by the EC for many years regarding the ability to reunite that criteria but now given the state of the country regarding those particular two items it seems to me that Turkey become a part of EC will be out of question, probably for many years.
Aw come on.. it was common backroom knowledge that Turkey was kept sweet as a buffer for the EU.. they were never going to be let in.. to many dangerous borders to the E and S.. the carrot dangled always just out of reach.
Not that you'll ever find a politician to admit it publicly.
__________________


Born to be Wild.
boatman61 is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
Turkey

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
9 Americans arrested in Saudi Arabia accused of cobtact with terrorists Goosebumps Liveaboard's Forum 57 03-02-2016 15:59
Tunisia goes ISIS. MarkJ Europe & Mediterranean 18 02-10-2014 17:24
Logistics of sailing to Izmir Airport, Turkey? LifePart2 Europe & Mediterranean 3 20-07-2013 01:01

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:28.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.