Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2011, 10:45   #31

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Re: Turkey, Greece or Croatia ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by himnher View Post
Well yes I guess you're quite right. I've never really thought of the moorings up by the new ferry terminal as a marina, but there are indeed pontoons I don't know what arrangements there are to leave boats there. Is there any guardiennage?
Sorry, don't know. We've only ever dropped in as visitors and the last visit was 2007. Am guessing it would not be hard to find someone local to keep a boat tidy and check winter warps.
Cheers
John
Old 02-11-2011, 07:46   #32

Re: Turkey, Greece or Croatia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Greece -- people can be cantankerous and unwelcoming (not the majority, but enough to spoil the impression for some cruisers), horrifying bureaucracy.
This is a big lie and is bigger when posted by a moderator of these forums

as Doors singing "People are strange when you're a stranger"
Tom1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 14:59   #33
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018
Re: Turkey, Greece or Croatia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom1966 View Post
This is a big lie and is bigger when posted by a moderator of these forums

as Doors singing "People are strange when you're a stranger"

Well, I had pretty much the same impression.. The thing which strikes me the most is their consistent unwillingness to help someone when docking. Once I was on a large catamaran wind the 40 kts wind on the beam (Nsiros) with my wife and NOONE on the shore has tended to take the rope..
Another time, my anchor had jammed with another boat's anchor chain and I was drifting. Again no reaction from locals. Another boater (I guess french..) came to rescue with his dingy and got us out of trouble.

As far as the buraucracy goes, to be honest I didn't have any issue with check in check out procedures. In worst case, you pay some 30-100 € extra to one agency and they do the job.
Yes some authorities were rude to me, but that's OK; after all I carry a turkish flag

cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 13:30   #34

Boat: Selene 59

Thanks to everyone who has participated in this thread so far, it has been fascinating, so much information.

I think I have been convinced that Turkey is our best option for next year. We will be leaving Italy and hope to arrive in Turkey around July having spent a bit of time through Greece on the way.

There has been some good information on the various areas in Turkey so I would now like to find out about exeriences with specific marinas.

We will spend the remainder of the cruising season in Turkey and head home in October, leaving the boat over winter. The following year we would like to mix cruising with a bit more land travel and I particularly liked Katiusha's input on places of interest, any more of that sort of input is also useful.

Therefore we are looking for a good safe maina with good facilities and good management. Any help you can give us would be appreciated.

Cheers
Brownie
Buena Vista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 05:14   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buena Vista View Post
Therefore we are looking for a good safe maina with good facilities and good management. Any help you can give us would be appreciated.

We favour Yat Marin in Marmaris for the following reasons:

1. It's cheap - well, they raised the prices this past summer, then lowered it a bit, but out of big marinas they are still at least EUR 400 cheaper for 6 months for us (35 foot monohull).

2. It's big and they are professional - that said, people who have been coming back to this marina for years (it's only our second year there) say that it's all gone downhill in the last 2-3 years: management is less friendly, workers don't do favours any more, etc. We don't see a problem with that as they do all account management well, you can extend contracts with them over phone/email. Maybe it's a difference in expectations: we don't expect marina staff to be our friends, we expect them to do their job well. Yat Marin staff do it well. If you decide to call them or when you come to the office to do the check-in and everything, ask to speak with Meliha. She's the best out of all staff there.

3. It's safe - all territory is fenced, only one gate with security, security guys on mopeds constantly do rounds around all territory and docks.

4. They've got a swimming pool, sauna, restaurant, bar, canteen, laundry, pibrary, pool hall, doctor, hairdresser, gym, supermarket, chandlery, and all boat services.

5. The marina is in Marmaris bay which has milder weather than more northern marinas, good sailing, nice snorkeling.

6. Next to the marina there is a nice protected "island", actually peninsula, to hike around with ruins, caves, and views.

7. Yat Marin does a free trip [on a bus] to Istanbul for Istanbul Boat Show in the winter. You will need to pay for the hotel and food in Istanbul.

8. [for all marinas in Marmaris bay] There is a very strong live-aboard community with a good daily net, organized trips, meets, lessons, etc.

Cons of Yat Marin:

1. Not within Marmaris - 20-30 minutes by car/bus or the dinghy.

2. If you want somebody from outside the marina to do any boat work, the marina issues a comparatively high surcharge.

3. It is less protected from winter storms than Netsel Marine (another marina in Marmaris) - but the guys tend the boats very well, so it's not a problem.

Regarding timing:

Note that high season in Turkey ends for Westerners in the beginning of September, for Turkish - in the second half of September after the school starts.

Also note that Ramazan [Turkish version of Ramadan] falls on July 20th - August 18th 2012. During Ramazan/Ramadan Muslims should not eat or drink anything from sunrise to sunset, including water.
You will see many less Turkish people on the streets during the day at that time, and, especially in the first 7-10 days, people at work will be less alert and not as attentive very frequently making mistakes. Whatever you have to do during this time period, check your paperwork very well.
However, every night right after the sunset you'll find big line-ups to bakeries for chocolate puddings and all restraurants will be full. You will see empty streets one minute, and the next minute all people will be out and already in restaurants eating and drinking.
Calls to prayer performed by muezzins during Ramazan seems to be longer than usual (though I don't know for sure).

Big holidays after mid-July (more people, more excursion boats out, offices, banks, and some shops closed):

Seker Bayram: August 19th - 21st (people eat and exchange A LOT OF sweets during this holiday)
Kubran Bayrami: October 24th - 28th (sacrifice of a sheep, common foods, drinks, and celebrations)
Republic Day: October 29th (fireworks)

Also, in 2012 Asure Gunu is celebrated on November 24th. Nothing is closed, but people eat a sweet pudding called Asure made out of grains, cereals, nuts, and dried fruits and berries. I heard that this dish was eaten on Noah's Ark as a celebration for the end of the flood, but who knows for sure, eh?
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2011, 08:39   #36
Marine Service Provider

Hi, as most of them said you wont go wrong with any of these countries, but because I am from Croatia I have to advise my country. It is called a country of 1000 islands and with any region that you choose you cant miss. You have a national parks available in every sail area, the sea is crystal blue, the traditional food is excellent and you can always choose between silent bays and historical cities that still keep the felling that you went back in history. If you decide for Croatia, please fell free to contact me directly. Thx, Andreas
PONT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2013, 14:16   #37
Marine Service Provider

Boat: JEANNEAU,BENETAU,BAVARIA etc.

Samos Marina is situated on a strategic location on the island of Samos, at the eastern Aegean Sea. The facilities are located on the southeast part of the island, just 500m away from the picturesque village of Pythagorio. Samos Marina provides mooring close to the village, but at an isolated and well-protected location for those who enjoy privacy. The marina is built in accordance with state of the art specifications and provides full range services to boats and boaters.
amos Marina is on an island blessed by nature. Being one of the larger islands of the Aegean, Samos, projects a distinct vitality in all seasons. Furthermore, the island has thick, lush vegetation, divine beaches and famous locally produced wines since antiquity.

With a berthing capacity of 260 boats, Samos Marina can host yachts up to 25m in length according to the official plan. Super yachts up to 50m of length have been already hosted in the marina, and a number of at least 10 berths for yachts above 25m is arranged and adequately equipped. The marina boatyard can host up to 170 boats serviced all around the year at the repair & maintenance zone area.

Samos Marina also includes facilities that serve all of the guests' needs: shopping, restaurants, supermarket, laundry washers; but also yacht club and maritime sports facilities, cultural events hall, as well as fuel station and waste pumps service. At a very short distance from the island's airport (5 minutes), Samos Marina is minutes away from international flights and destinations, giving the opportunity for immediate access.

For more info you can PM me or contact me through my website in my profile

M.E
MARINE ENGINNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 14:06   #38

Boat: Bavaria 37

This is an interesting advertisement for the marina ! Is it with of it for wintering ?
Yes, Samos is one of the most wonderful island of the aegean sea.
But, but, why the marina has been so empty in winter these last 7 years ? Why ? I suppose there are reasons.
Are you sure all the services you are speaking of are open now ?
The last time I was in the marina (april 2013) everything was closed (except the great restaurant where family's food is fantastic)...
Jacques2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2013, 02:43   #39

Location: Adriatic and Inland France (summer); New Forest, UK (winter)
Boat: Oyster 435 cutter-rigged ketch and Nowee 38 motor yacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buena Vista View Post
There has been some good information on the various areas in Turkey so I would now like to find out about exeriences with specific marinas.

Cheers
Brownie
Take a look at Kusadasi Marina (details on the World Cruising and Sailing Wiki and the Setur Marinas website). We spent five years there and found it well managed, with good facilities and rather cheaper than most of the other Setur marinas. Access via flights to Izmir and 40 minutes taxi ride.

It really depends on whether you want to winter on the hard or in the water. They were redeveloping the shoreside when we left so there's probably much less hard standing there now.

Tags
Croatia, Greece, Turkey, turkey, greece, croatia