Old 28-08-2021, 19:03   #16
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Re: Turkey - Anchor chain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
Hi Bill-
Cant help you there, but some info that may or may not help- I bought some 3 years ago in Piraus, Greece (Not sure where it came from) and its holding up better that the stuff i shipped from the USA- I bought 60 meters for 175e
Here it is august 2021.. and i'm still using the same anchor of chain and it's still in very good condition i'm going to cut the two ends off about 6 ft each because that seems to be where it's rusting a little bit but the rest of the chain looks great and it's been through several serious blows 60 to 79 knots
Over the years no problems.. looks like I might have another 6 to 10 years on this chain life left before it needs regalanizing
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2021, 20:10   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Bavaria Match35

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
Hi Bill,

We buy every year 300-400 meters of 10 or 12 mm locally produced anchor chain for our charter fleet and never had any problem at all so far. (It would unthinkable that a country that is second big in the world in making megayatchs, 6 th in big super tankers and freighters be unable to produce anchor chains..)

The largest company that we work with is Atlı Zincir. Check their web site in english :

Atl Zincir, ne ve Makina Sanayi A.

Meanwhile, I just want to remind you that Turkey is not a part of EC but has a custom union with EC since ages , hence, there are no (there cannot be..) custom duty for any product imported from the EC, except for some specific articles like cars, etc. Imports from China in particular is a different matter..
If you need any specific info you can PM me.

Cheers
Yeloya
Hi, I am a Turkish boat owner located in İzmir, Sigacik. I recommend Atli Zincir too. I used their calibrated and galvanized 8 mm chain with my Lewmar Pro 1000 windlass for 6 years. No mechanical problem. Its galvanize is good and has the DIN 766 standart. Ask the brand "Atli" from a local seller close to you. I don't recommend you to buy online, because its weight is high. My seller was in İzmir. Here is the contact info: https://www.denizdukkani.com/denizdukkani-iletisim
SOLAR SUPPORT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2021, 22:57   #18

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Turkey - Anchor chain?

Except for the very largest turkeys, chain anchor rode is not recommended. A simple rode of nylon line will suffice, and will save considerable money.

Jim (who once lived in Turlock, Calif, known as the turkey capitol of the world)
Old 30-08-2021, 09:56   #19

We have bought anchors and anchor chain manufactured in Turkey and have been happy with the quality and price. I also had the existing chain re galvanized with good results to use as secondary ground tackle. It seems that most is manufactured near Istanbul but can be on the Mediterranean coast in 24hours. Ask at any of the chandlers in Marmaris or Gocek Izmir etc.
CatCouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2021, 23:13   #20

Boat: custom catamaran

Hi.If you didn't buy the chain yet I found a large company here in Turkey and ordered G80 chain.Company name is Zintas.They said after hot galvanizing quality goes down to G70 specs but its still several times stronger then average chain
catmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, Turkey