Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2015, 11:40   #46

Boat: 35' Pearson sloop
Re: Tunisia 8 hostages murdered.

I go along with Boatman61, we need a hell of lot more birth control!keep it coming.
Old 19-03-2015, 11:53   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Garfield View Post
Tourist deaths reduced to 17 europeans killed.
Lets hope it's a one off and perps hunted to ground !

@ arsenelupiga- your post is entirely unintelligible.

@ Boatman61,your comments well taken !

As an offspring of 3 generations of State Dept. officers,%50 of Americans' perceptions of the world is sadly xenophobic and absurd to point of hysteria.
Anyone say childish ??

All the Best

Which is more deadly, xenophobia or armed terrorists? We could ask the 17 tourists, but I think I know what their answer would be. Not everyone you meet wants to invite you over for a black tie dinner party.

What happened over in Benghazi? A little block party that got out of control?

There is delusional, and then there is 4th generation delusional.

When people are getting slaughtered, it's not childish to stay out of the area. It's called self preservation, and it's hereditary.

Cruising is one thing, cruising into a storm or an area where people are getting murdered is an entirely different thing.
Old 19-03-2015, 12:03   #48

Well all I know is sailing is fun.
Old 19-03-2015, 12:03   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Not so sure about that.. in the physical sense.. its basic guerilla warfare of attrition.. in the old days it would create fear only in the country.. pretty much like Boko Haram in Africa or some of the Central American rebels or the Mau Mau of the last century.
However today we have instant global coverage on every bombing in every country around the world in our faces breakfast lunch and dinner..
50yrs ago we sat in our respective countries and there would be the occasional article about and attack in which an EU/US person got killed.. and it'd be 'Tsk Tsk.. Poor Buga' and 5 minutes later its likely forgotten
Today its impossible unless you sit mid-Atlantic..
All this violence is in IN YOUR HOME.. how can you feel safe.. its psychological warfare and its working.. for the terrorists and the viewing figures..
It worked in the city centres abandoned to the baddies after dark.. 'No Dear.. lets not go into the cantre.. there were 3 muggings last w/end..' so you give it away..
That crap fact of life is to maintain International Law every now and then someone has to pay the Ferryman..
And there's grievances and band waggon nutters to spare out there.. and more every day.
And folk are anti birth control..

I have no problem getting out of bed in the morning. I'm just going to stay away from Tunisia.

So you're saying you'd go over to Tunisia today for a holiday?
Old 19-03-2015, 12:03   #50
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
SteadyHand... its not so much a case of US cities as an example..
"Step back in amazement.. I'm not being anti-American"...
Its more the over reaction by folk most of whom will likely never cruise these waters... who'll needlessly scare folk away from the Med.. and once abandoned forever lost..
Forget individual cities anywhere.. look at statistics for folk who also travel for pleasure to other parts of the world and see how many have died from criminal assault as opposed to terrorist assault.. of the top of my head I can think of around 10 UK holiday makers in Sri Lanka, Thailand, India..
News..? YES..
Dya panic coz of it ..? NO
Why..??? They're not boat people.. and who'd wanna go holiday with ragheads..
Life is dangerous and no matter how much you guys try to fool yourselves you can Insure against everything.. you cannot..
The random factor anywhere will always bite your butt.. especially when politicians keep jabbing at it..

Ahoy Boatie!

I do not consider you anti-American. Far from it.

And just to show I am not Anti-British, I had a nice Guinness Stout the other night (winking, because Guinness is brewed in Ireland). If anything, I am an Anglophile.

I also am not afraid to visit the Mediterranean and hope to do so in the future. I would also like to see such "risky" places as the coast of Portugal, though I promise to watch the weather and bear in mind the bar crossings, in this case "bar" meaning at the entrance to rivers.

I posted what I posted above, simply to show that while "common knowledge" may say that "Miami is very dangerous," statistics show that other cities (again in the article I linked the only cities compared are in the USA), which may be smaller cities, may have a higher incidence of violent crime (murder, rape, armed robbery, aggravated assault).

My point? Some places get a bad rap (reputation), sometimes caused by the media.

For example: Miami is ranked (by analysis linked earlier) as the 46th most dangerous city in the USA. But, Myrtle Beach, South Carolina is ranked as the 12th most dangerous and Memphis, Tennessee as the 10th most dangerous. That surprised me. Oakland, California was ranked #5, but that did not surprise me.

So, I think we are in agreement more than having difference.

Here is the link to that interesting article (and list of the 100 Dangerous Cities in the USA). It did surprise me to see smaller cities listed as more dangerous than larger cities that do have a bad reputation (common knowledge). http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/nei...p100dangerous/
Old 19-03-2015, 12:19   #51

Quote:
I'll second that... a senseless tragedy
but lets face it.. when History shows 'terrorism' often leads to Statehood.. your gonna get the wannabe 'Empire Builders..
' or 'Freedom Fighters..' depending on your side of the fence..
Excuse me, but I'm going to have to disagree again.

There is a big difference between freedom fighters, who fight against the soldiers who oppress them, and terrorists who indiscriminately kill innocent people, especially tourists. There is a reason why one is called a freedom fighter and the other is called a terrorist and it's very clear to me which ones fall into each definition.

Even within a single organization, say, the IRA, I would have viewed those fighting the troops as freedom fighters, and those bombing innocent children as terrorists.

Either way, I'd stay away from the conflict as a cruiser, no sense ending up on the news so someone can say, "Stupid bugger!" at his TV. Plenty of better places to go cruising in the meantime.
Old 19-03-2015, 12:26   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post

There is a big difference between freedom fighters, who fight against the soldiers who oppress them, and terrorists who indiscriminately kill innocent people, especially tourists. There is a reason why one is called a freedom fighter and the other is called a terrorist and it's very clear to me which ones fall into each definition.

Even within a single organization, say, the IRA, I would have viewed those fighting the troops as freedom fighters, and those bombing innocent children as terrorists.
Quote:
Either way, I'd stay away from the conflict as a cruiser, no sense ending up on the news so someone can say, "Stupid bugger!" at his TV. Plenty of better places to go cruising in the meantime.
Refreshing to know there are at least a few clear eyed cruisers besides myself out there.

On a side note, the drift was mercifully pushed back a couple of posts ago...
Old 19-03-2015, 12:27   #53
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Tunisia 8 hostages murdered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpddj View Post
Not so crazy, boatie. How about if someone doesn't have the means to properly raise a child, both monetarily and emotionally, after the first, maybe second one that is popped out and onto welfare, SNIP SNIP as well. I have a niece who has popped out three - I'm not sure how many baby daddies. The mindset is 'the more kids I have the more welfare I get', and it doesn't cost her a thing.

A woman in the USA recently won a $188 million share of a lottery. She was living with her mother, had four kids by three baby daddies. Well, if she doesn't squander the money, maybe she'll have the sense to properly set her kids up.

Boy, this thread has sure drifted!
Don't matter.. drop 2.. end game.. SNIP
Could have compulsory reverseable stapling at puberty M&F... removed after marriage and approved for breeding.. then SNIP
So get it right 1st time..

Steady on Steady...

[quote]
And just to show I am not Anti-British, I had a nice Guinness Stout the other night (winking, because Guinness is brewed in Ireland). If anything, I am an Anglophile. [end quote]

You'll upset a lot of good ole Irish Boys crediting the UK for Guinness

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 19-03-2015, 12:38   #54
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post

My observation is more like If he wins he's a Freedom Fighter.. if he loses he's a Terrorist...
To the Victor the Lies....

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 19-03-2015, 12:46   #55

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Have to be bludi good boats to get to Baiona..
Tunisia is a natural target as its taken an anti-terrorist stance along with Jordan and a few others..
Based on the reasoning on this Forum I suggest you lot stay away from Australia, France the UK, Denmark.. in fact.. just don't go abroad..

Is my favorite Queen and Tory Brit wearing his red beret today? R
Old 19-03-2015, 12:48   #56

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
or maybe if " we" stopped interfering in the politics of other regions, that might help also
Syria and Libya interventions have proven a nightmare just substituting an evil power by a worst one. The overall result of western policies is the spreading of fundamentalism. Something very wrong with those policies.
Old 19-03-2015, 12:59   #57

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
i was saying this all the time but nobody believed.

med is gone as cruising ground except if you want to get involved. make sure though you have enough cans of tuna on your boat so not to starve.

shame on eu what have they done to med ecologically and now more bad news.
The Med is far better now than it was 20 years ago, I mean regarding ecology and the prospects are good for the future.

Regarding the rest, I mean the med finished as a cruising ground you are way off. The med is big. What you say may apply to some African coasts, or even most of them where some risks can be taken, but the sailboats are not there anyway. Croatia, the Balearic Islands, Greece or Italy will not represent any danger for cruising.
Old 19-03-2015, 13:01   #58
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Syria and Libya interventions have proven a nightmare just substituting an evil power by a worst one. The overall result of western policies is the spreading of fundamentalism. Something very wrong with those policies.
Failure to learn the lessons of History..
The Afghans kicked us out 3 times.. then they kicked out the Russians...
One would imagine that after Vietnam and Korea and the experience of the Russians someone might have smelt the coffee and been prepared for the kicking.. but no.. as usual.. all brawn.. zero brain.
Iraq... Libya.. internal problems but stable.. Happy..?
No.. lets bomb em and remove the Dictators.. I love hollow victory parades..
Besides.. I wanna have a go.. never been a dictator before..

Old 19-03-2015, 13:23   #59
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Now its getting boring.. so back on topic..
As long as you stay N of Malta and close to the EU isles and S coasts you'll be fine, at least thats my attitude..
Even Tunisia would not overly concern me at the moment.. were it verging on a civil war maybe think twice.. but right now they need our support.. not see us run at the 1st sign off trouble..
We are a fair part off their GDP..
Ya don't see any Aussie refugee's yet
Oh.. and you might want to think twice about drifting boats.. steer well clear and radio in the GPS position as a Pan Pan Panico... ASAP

Old 19-03-2015, 13:57   #60

Quote:
My observation is more like If he wins he's a Freedom Fighter.. if he loses he's a Terrorist...
To the Victor the Lies....
Yup, that's the difference between idealism and realism. The winner gets to write the history books.
Closed Thread

Tags
Tunisia