Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2015, 06:32   #1
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Tunisia 8 hostages murdered.

Todays news of tourists being held hostage has turned bad with at least 8 killed. 7 tourists and one Tunisian.

I have often warned of the difficulties that cruisers could get into since ISIS has been infiltrating Tunisia.

Lets keep a close watch on this one.

Eight tourists killed as gunmen 'take hostages' in attack on Tunisia parliament - latest - Telegraph

Photo of hostages taken by one of the hostages:

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	99024  

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 18-03-2015, 07:13   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Re: Tunisia 8 hostages murdered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Todays news of tourists being held hostage has turned bad with at least 8 killed. 7 tourists and one Tunisian.

I have often warned of the difficulties that cruisers could get into since ISIS has been infiltrating Tunisia.

Lets keep a close watch on this one.

Eight tourists killed as gunmen 'take hostages' in attack on Tunisia parliament - latest - Telegraph

Photo of hostages taken by one of the hostages:

Mark
Made comment on this yesterday..The Islamic state said that they were 200 miles from the European continent and that the Med. would become a watery grave yard for the infidels and that they would build a road with the bodys of the dead to cross over to Europe!! I would not want to be in the Med. on a slow boat with those hot heads looking for prime targets..I think Spain and Italy have even warned the Costa Gurdia(?) to be on the look out for boats that are pretending to be full of immigrants seeking asylum only to attack the CG when they approach..Might be why the fellow that wrote about how persnickety the CG in the area was treating him after sailing from Thailand...Terrible..
Old 18-03-2015, 07:53   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Tunisia 8 hostages murdered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
Made comment on this yesterday..The Islamic state said that they were 200 miles from the European continent and that the Med. would become a watery grave yard for the infidels and that they would build a road with the bodys of the dead to cross over to Europe!! I would not want to be in the Med. on a slow boat with those hot heads looking for prime targets..I think Spain and Italy have even warned the Costa Gurdia(?) to be on the look out for boats that are pretending to be full of immigrants seeking asylum only to attack the CG when they approach..Might be why the fellow that wrote about how persnickety the CG in the area was treating him after sailing from Thailand...Terrible..
Have to be bludi good boats to get to Baiona..
Tunisia is a natural target as its taken an anti-terrorist stance along with Jordan and a few others..
Based on the reasoning on this Forum I suggest you lot stay away from Australia, France the UK, Denmark.. in fact.. just don't go abroad..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 18-03-2015, 12:45   #4
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Death toll now 19 including 13 tourists.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 18-03-2015, 13:08   #5

This isn't a case of self promotion or I told you so, just relevant.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ser-64096.html

Old 18-03-2015, 13:11   #6

20 europeans,2 Tunisians dead as of 8pm UTC.
Seems Tunisian security all over this,killing 2 shooters,while searching for 3 more suspects.
I trust critical mass of magical thinking religous extremists found and imprisonned.

Murderous nutjob wingnuts exist all around the world.

I will say I am somewhat nervous upon frequent trips to Alexandria,Egypt.

All the Best
Old 18-03-2015, 13:11   #7

Boat: LAGOON 400

i was saying this all the time but nobody believed.

med is gone as cruising ground except if you want to get involved. make sure though you have enough cans of tuna on your boat so not to starve.

shame on eu what have they done to med ecologically and now more bad news.
Old 18-03-2015, 13:51   #8

Tourist deaths reduced to 17 europeans killed.
Lets hope it's a one off and perps hunted to ground !

@ arsenelupiga- your post is entirely unintelligible.

@ Boatman61,your comments well taken !

As an offspring of 3 generations of State Dept. officers,%50 of Americans' perceptions of the world is sadly xenophobic and absurd to point of hysteria.
Anyone say childish ??

All the Best
Old 18-03-2015, 14:49   #9

I don't think we have yet reached the stage of Islamic State attacks on boats in the Med. However a prudent boater would keep a close eye on goings on in the area and act with increased awareness and caution.

Yes IS has said their next stop is Europe. Even stating they will attack Italy and specifically the Vatican. At present they lack the maritime capability to traverse from their land strongholds on the North African region. But let us remember that Somalia pirates first started out with fast skiffs and then captured larger vessels which they then used as mother ships for their piracy. So things can change and change quickly.

I would still travel the Med. Not the Red Sea however.

Keeping a close eye on things is sensible. What is certain is the European enforcement services are most definitely on high alert in the Med with every boat movement being tracked. I would expect more precautionary boardings by authorities in these waters.

Lastly. As any good girl or boy sea scout would say, Be Prepared.
Old 18-03-2015, 14:55   #10

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Garfield View Post

As an offspring of 3 generations of State Dept. officers,%50 of Americans' perceptions of the world is sadly xenophobic and absurd to point of hysteria.
Anyone say childish ??

All the Best
lets hope you right and this bad dream will go away.
Old 18-03-2015, 15:06   #11
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

We've been saying that for a long time.. The Red Brigade, the PLA, the IRA & Royalists, the Basque Separatists.. Blah Blah Blah..
Wrong place, wrong time.. sounds shitty but thats how it goes..
Old hat in Europe but then.. People have short memories..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 18-03-2015, 15:06   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Garfield View Post

Anyone say childish ??

All the Best
One off ! ! ? ? I think things are far,far away from one off ..Where did you come up with that dyslectic percentage? I think what you posted is absurd..
Old 18-03-2015, 15:11   #13
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
One off ! ! ? ? I think things are far,far away from one off ..Where did you come up with that dyslectic percentage? I think what you posted is absurd..
Gotta be optimistic.. else you'd never get outa bed.. the 24/7 TV News would keep you rooted..

Old 18-03-2015, 15:33   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
We've been saying that for a long time.. The Red Brigade, the PLA, the IRA & Royalists, the Basque Separatists.. Blah Blah Blah..
Wrong place, wrong time.. sounds shitty but thats how it goes..
Old hat in Europe but then.. People have short memories..
Yes terrorism has been with us unfortunately for a long time. But the new threats are very different and far more severe. IMHO
Old 18-03-2015, 16:00   #15
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
Yes terrorism has been with us unfortunately for a long time. But the new threats are very different and far more severe. IMHO
Not so sure about that.. in the physical sense.. its basic guerilla warfare of attrition.. in the old days it would create fear only in the country.. pretty much like Boko Haram in Africa or some of the Central American rebels or the Mau Mau of the last century.
However today we have instant global coverage on every bombing in every country around the world in our faces breakfast lunch and dinner..
50yrs ago we sat in our respective countries and there would be the occasional article about and attack in which an EU/US person got killed.. and it'd be 'Tsk Tsk.. Poor Buga' and 5 minutes later its likely forgotten
Today its impossible unless you sit mid-Atlantic..
All this violence is in IN YOUR HOME.. how can you feel safe.. its psychological warfare and its working.. for the terrorists and the viewing figures..
It worked in the city centres abandoned to the baddies after dark.. 'No Dear.. lets not go into the cantre.. there were 3 muggings last w/end..' so you give it away..
That crap fact of life is to maintain International Law every now and then someone has to pay the Ferryman..
And there's grievances and band waggon nutters to spare out there.. and more every day.
And folk are anti birth control..

Closed Thread

Tags
Tunisia