Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2015, 16:47   #76

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.
Re: Tunisia 37 tourists murdered on beach near marina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Linky no worky, but would like to see it if you have the right one... :>)

These the ones? Links worked today - July 01, 2015....

Giuliani’s claim that 93 percent of black murder victims are killed by other blacks - The Washington Post

The 'Great Emancipator' and the Issue of Race
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 16:53   #77

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Any further feedback from anyone still in a Tunisian marina?

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 21:07   #78

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl

Let me first say that I so deeply and truly feel sympathy and empathy for ALL victims in Tunisia and I also hope all of our fellow cruisers there are doing well.

I tried my best to refrain responding further. It’s not working. So to all the history buffs, still 150 years after your loss, defending your ancestor’s actions and beliefs, (because it’s personal I used to lead tours at a plantation. You won’t believe the questions I got about slavery. - Vox) I say this……continue to quote back and forth different historian viewpoints on why the south wanted to succeed until you exhaust yourselves. The truth is. had they been successful in succeeding, their profits would’ve been granted through slavery. If you’d like to be proud about that, and carry on as though, to this day, you are somehow victimized because it didn’t turn out that way, than I realistically have no possible way of swaying your opinion. Oh what if? What if you won? Really? Do you think you’d have survived? The rest of the world’s western countries had already abolished slavery. It really gets under my skin when I hear conversations on how great the south would’ve been and in the next breath speak of how patriotic to the nation they are.
As to your flag, you and your ancestors idly, and willfully allowed and lent your “symbol of heritage” to be used by domestics terrorists as a symbol of their hatred. Now it’s been branded with a meaning that most are not happy with. And you cry about the indignity of it all?
And as the word “responsibility” seems a favorite catch phrase today, I’d love to see action on that. But of course you have painted yourselves the victims (wrongly, to avoid responsibility) and you’d be horrified to apologize for great, great, great grandpa’s actions toward what atrocities that have been carried forward and have been created in society today. Or take any responsibility for any strife or show any compassion. Yes our corporations and bellies are full but please turn a blind eye to this! 22 Years a Slave: Fisherman Returns Home to Myanmar - NBC News
As to questioning where I seek my news sources I say this; offer up an unbiased, non-corporate sponsored news source and I’ll read it. Are you saying that if I don’t quote fox/right extremist news sources than it is has no merit? Hmmmmm But here you go…….
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/25/us...reat.html?_r=0
Ida B. Wells and Lessons to Learn from South Carolina
Sleep well or sleep ill. You can fear change or you can embrace it. You can fight change or you can help change.
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 00:21   #79

Boat: Leopard 40
Send a message via Yahoo to Sarayu Send a message via Skype™ to Sarayu

Wow, amazing , anchor watch didn't go off the whole drift, from the Mediterranean right back to the west Atlantic, and we think we have advanced these few hundred years. Here is a fissure thought long healed come to the surface, old wounds still sore.
I will try for a course change (an old heading) to the East.
Take that animosity from your/our past, that sense of betrayal and frustration with the discrepancy in living standards, (made all the more apparent with access to TV and the internet) and bring it forward to Tunisia's present dilemma.
We accept that injustice is part of the human condition, we must also recognise that there must be an opportunity for reconciliation. When we stall or hinder that with our approach of ostracism and avoidance it does not help.
We are all human, how similar we are in our sense of fair play. North / South (USA) or East / West. Lets get over it, lets get on with life. I am still here in Monastir, Tunisia. Things are quiet yes, as I said earlier there are few tourists, but I am not feeling threatened.
The food is good (the alcohol not so at this time of Ramadan) the prices are good and the locals need your bucks!
Sarayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 00:48   #80

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

I wanted to stay away from this thread since the beginning, because in general I just don't like to read about horrible sad things in life. Well today I browsed through and just wanted to add this video as I think Dr Bill Warner has some very good points and some of the things that he says make you think about the facts and the situation today. I'm not arguing one way or the other, I just found his lecture educational and wanted to share. Peace.

ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 04:48   #81

Having worked in law enforcement my entire life, I would have actually thought the percentage of blacks killed by other blacks would have been higher than 93 per cent in the US.

I worked in New Orleans back in the 90s when it was the murder capital of the USA about every other year (one year we had 428 murders in a population of 500,000). If you took one small area, the ninth ward, and just considered its statics, it had the highest murder rate in the world.

Almost all of those murders were black perpetrators killing black victims. More recently, we had a small city of 4000 near where I live, that is about 75 per cent black. It had 15 murders one year, all black on black.

It was a similar situation in Baltimore when I worked there (I actually witnessed two black on black murders there) and in nearby Washington D.C.

We can argue ad infinitum, the reasons that black on black crime is so astronomically high in the USA, (and, I have my own theory, which I have already stated) and why no administration, including one headed by a black President, cans do anything about it, but that doesn't change the fact that it is that high.

It is so high, in fact, that if you took away the killings by blacks of other blacks from the statistics, the USA becomes one of the safest countries in the world.
Old 02-07-2015, 04:51   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikFinn View Post
I wanted to stay away from this thread since the beginning, because in general I just don't like to read about horrible sad things in life. Well today I browsed through and just wanted to add this video as I think Dr Bill Warner has some very good points and some of the things that he says make you think about the facts and the situation today. I'm not arguing one way or the other, I just found his lecture educational and wanted to share. Peace.

I clicked on that to listen to it, but at 44 minutes long, I couldn't spare the time on a beautiful day like this (got to go powerwash the decks). I'll get it it later, though.
Old 02-07-2015, 06:28   #83

Boat: Lagoon 380 #069

Wow, step away from the computer for a few hours and this thread about Tunisia turns into problems in America, American history, and American institutional racism. Congratulations my fellow Americans, you've managed to make a topic about you, once again.

Onto other news. Thinks are nice and normal in Monastir. The guys working on their boat next door have taken me to a little, but well known, hole in the wall parts store for filters and lube. Students are in school, tourist are on the beach, and Optimus is still days away from sailing off. The guys come by daily to let us know the progress of the bimini and cushions.

As anyone that has lived through a terrrorist attack will tell you, life continues as usual because it has to. We all can't afford to go into bunker mode while crops rot and animals need tending.
yardie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 06:31   #84
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
It is so high, in fact, that if you took away the killings by blacks of other blacks from the statistics, the USA becomes one of the safest countries in the world.
More murders in the US are white against white, if you ignore those as well it becomes an even safer country..
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 08:10   #85

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

You folks are so into navel gazing that you have completely missed the big picture. America has named both Cuba and Iran terrorist countries. How many countries since WW2 have Cuba and Iran bombed compared to how many countries America has bombed. How many regime changes have these countries perpetrated as compared to America. How have Cuba and Iran profited from making huge loans to countries knowing they could never pay the loan back and thus corrupted those governments. Britain is also complicit in some of this nonsense as well but to a lesser extent since WW2.

Now I ask, which are the terrorist countries?
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 10:21   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
More murders in the US are white against white, if you ignore those as well it becomes an even safer country..
Actually, no, but not by much (even considering that blacks only make up 12 per cent of the population, according to the latest estimates from the US Census Bureau.

According to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, black offenders committed 52 per cent of homicides recorded in the data between 1980 and 2008. Only 45 per cent of the offenders were white. Homicide is a broader category than “murder” but let’s not split hairs.

Like, I said, you can debate all day, the reasons for these statistics, but they are what they are.
Old 02-07-2015, 11:01   #87

Boat: Cuddles 30ft Motor Sailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
To say there is not danger for travelers in Al Quida or Danesh controlled areas for foreigners is just plain false. To paint it any other way is just some sort of breech of responsibility in the written word.
There may be some danger but let's keep it in perspective.

I am currently 150 miles north of Baghdad. I've spent much of the past 4 years in these parts. Honestly - the biggest risk I face is dying in a car accident.

They are called terrorists for a reason. Its what they are doing to the average westerner's head. And I don't mean lopping it off.
Kokanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 11:20   #88
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post

Like, I said, you can debate all day, the reasons for these statistics, but they are what they are.
A breakdown against income would be interesting, suspect you could say that if you ignore poor people killing poor people then the US is a safe place..
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 13:42   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
A breakdown against income would be interesting, suspect you could say that if you ignore poor people killing poor people then the US is a safe place..
Most of the killings I'm aware of in the black community, involve drug dealers killing other drug dealers, witnesses, relatives of drug dealers in revenge killings, and innocent people hit by criminals with poor marksmanship skills. I wouldn't call them poor, and I'm not sure being poor has ever had any relation with a propensity to kill in any event or time or place. It's more of a mental disorder, in my opinion (as I stated earlier).

But, that's just my opinion after spending a lifetime dealing with the people committing these murders, black and white. And, there are a plethora of opinions on what causes those particular mental disorders, (anti-social personality type, etc.etc.).

It's mostly people from broken homes, and single parent families and they are poor, but, it sure didn't happen here that way during the Great Depression, when almost everyone was poor, but were mostly raised in two parent, normal, homes.

But, hey, if you can figure it out, come on over and straighten us out. No one here has come up with anything that works or seems to stop it. But, I can't help but notice that UK Bobbies have gone from never being armed, to routinely needing to be armed (I was working with an officer from Scotland Yard a few years ago and noticed he was armed. I told him I didn't think they carried weapons, and he said they could check them out whenever they needed one. He then added, "I checked this one out four years ago, and haven't turned it in yet"). What changed over there? Figure that out and tell us what you think about that, too.
Old 02-07-2015, 13:53   #90

But, to get back to the subject of terrorism in general and the beach massacre in Tunisia in particular.......

One of the best books I have read on the subject of who becomes terrorists and why they do it, is Perfect Soldiers: The 9/11 Hijakers, who they were, why they did it, by Terry McDemott (2006).

And, now, with ISIS recruiting in every country, it's an even more pertinent subject of inquiry.

Tags
Tunisia