Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2011, 15:06   #46

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR
Re: Tips for Greece

TIP FOR TODAY – THE ISLAND I’M IN LOVE WITH

This is Amorgos , for me the most beautiful island in Cyclades archipelago.
The views from the cliffs on the southern side of island are necessary to be witnessed, to be believed. You can sit for an hours there, just looking... looking... looking...
The island is relatively unspoilt by tourism – no big hotels, no big harbour, no airfield.
But there are goats everythere, donkeys, nice villages, beautiful beaches and breathtaking views.

Southern part of the island should be avoided from the sea. There are only cliffs and underwater rocks. The wind, blowing from the mountains down can accelerate to twice the average force of the day. Whirlwinds are common.

Both harbours - Katapola and Aigiali (Egiali) are located at the northern shore.
When approaching them in prevailing NNE or NE wind, go from north to due south, steering for the cape at the left side of each respective bay, then round the cape relatvely closely, still sticking to the left. This way is – normally – easier to avoid the cross-swell in the entrances.
Particulary in the entrance to Katapola the cross-swell can build up to really quick and high.

Both harbours are really nice – the Aigiali is quieter spot, Katapola is closer to the Chora (main village uphill) and to the phenomenal Chozovitissa Monastery, plastered to the front of the cliffs, halfway from the sea to the top. The harbour in Katapola is the main harbour for the island. Only one small ferry stop at Aigiali also. Nevertheless, the Katpola harbour is tiny, so the cats are well advised to use comfortable anchorage in easternmost part of the harbour – mainly too shallow for monos.

There are numerous inlets in northern shore of an island, but don’t ever dare to use them for anchoring. In any wind with northern component they are simply death traps. Do You remember the movie „Deep Blue”? The shooting took place on Amorgos. The wreck of coaster "Olympia" is still there, in one of deadly inlets.
Only inlet affording some shelter in northerlies is Ormos Kampou , partly sheltered by Petalidi Island.

There are two convenient anchorages at the westernmost tip of the island. One is Kalotaritissa Bay , beautiful place, with almost all-around shelter, but quite poular, small and sometime overcrowded. Anyway it is suitable for overnighting in any except easterly wind.

Second is the southernmost bay of Gramvoussa Island . This secluded and rather not frequented place is suitable for lunch stop, sunbathing and swimming. As only partly sheltered not the best for overnighting in anything but settled weather.

Between Amorgos and Nikouris Island there is narrow, unbelievably picturesque channel - Stenon Kakoperator .
The depth in the middle of the narrowest part of the channel is given as 4 meters, but I do believe it is less in places. Anyway, it should be negotiated only by smaller boats, with utmost care and in settled, calm weather. The swell can built quite high there, depending on wind direction and force, so the danger of touching the bottom can be real. On the other hand, the shallows form only narrow bar in the narrowest point of the channel. On both sides, in settled conditions, You can drop a hook for a lunch or swim in dramatic scenery.

I do not know any single person not wishing for return to Amorgos after first visit

And Capitain Mike live there...
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2011, 15:12   #47

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I do not know why, but the view of virtually all GoogleMaps, the links for I posted above is moved to the east. The places of interest are in this situation on the left side of each map.
Sorry, I need to sort it out somehow for future posts.

Best regards

Tomasz
Old 27-03-2011, 15:18   #48

Tomasz,

you have to try the area around Chania Crete. Great place!

Paul

"Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On"
Deadcat7382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2011, 16:54   #49

Boat: Cobra 850
Send a message via Yahoo to Capitain Mike Send a message via Skype™ to Capitain Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleWhisky View Post
TIP FOR TODAY – THE ISLAND I’M IN LOVE WITH

This is Amorgos , for me the most beautiful island in Cyclades archipelago.
The views from the cliffs on the southern side of island are necessary to be witnessed, to be believed. You can sit for an hours there, just looking... looking... looking...
The island is relatively unspoilt by tourism – no big hotels, no big harbour, no airfield.
But there are goats everythere, donkeys, nice villages, beautiful beaches and breathtaking views.

Southern part of the island should be avoided from the sea. There are only cliffs and underwater rocks. The wind, blowing from the mountains down can accelerate to twice the average force of the day. Whirlwinds are common.

Both harbours - Katapola and Aigiali (Egiali) are located at the northern shore.
When approaching them in prevailing NNE or NE wind, go from north to due south, steering for the cape at the left side of each respective bay, then round the cape relatvely closely, still sticking to the left. This way is – normally – easier to avoid the cross-swell in the entrances.
Particulary in the entrance to Katapola the cross-swell can build up to really quick and high.

Both harbours are really nice – the Aigiali is quieter spot, Katapola is closer to the Chora (main village uphill) and to the phenomenal Chozovitissa Monastery, plastered to the front of the cliffs, halfway from the sea to the top. The harbour in Katapola is the main harbour for the island. Only one small ferry stop at Aigiali also. Nevertheless, the Katpola harbour is tiny, so the cats are well advised to use comfortable anchorage in easternmost part of the harbour – mainly too shallow for monos.

There are numerous inlets in northern shore of an island, but don’t ever dare to use them for anchoring. In any wind with northern component they are simply death traps. Do You remember the movie „Deep Blue”? The shooting took place on Amorgos. The wreck of coaster "Olympia" is still there, in one of deadly inlets.
Only inlet affording some shelter in northerlies is Ormos Kampou , partly sheltered by Petalidi Island.

There are two convenient anchorages at the westernmost tip of the island. One is Kalotaritissa Bay , beautiful place, with almost all-around shelter, but quite poular, small and sometime overcrowded. Anyway it is suitable for overnighting in any except easterly wind.

Second is the southernmost bay of Gramvoussa Island . This secluded and rather not frequented place is suitable for lunch stop, sunbathing and swimming. As only partly sheltered not the best for overnighting in anything but settled weather.

Between Amorgos and Nikouris Island there is narrow, unbelievably picturesque channel - Stenon Kakoperator .
The depth in the middle of the narrowest part of the channel is given as 4 meters, but I do believe it is less in places. Anyway, it should be negotiated only by smaller boats, with utmost care and in settled, calm weather. The swell can built quite high there, depending on wind direction and force, so the danger of touching the bottom can be real. On the other hand, the shallows form only narrow bar in the narrowest point of the channel. On both sides, in settled conditions, You can drop a hook for a lunch or swim in dramatic scenery.

I do not know any single person not wishing for return to Amorgos after first visit

And Capitain Mike live there...
Yes I have been here on Amorgos since 2006 but my boat has only been here since september 2010.
correct there are goats everythere, donkeys, mules. sheep nice villages, beautiful beaches and breathtaking views. The best time for views is now early spring when there is plenty of water and everything is green and growing fast. there are flowers and herbs everywhere.
I dont know what I did wrong but right click on the image pic and open in a new tab http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...8&id=613007278
Capitain Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 01:10   #50

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadcat7382 View Post
Tomasz,

you have to try the area around Chania Crete. Great place!

Paul
Yes, I know it and do agree
Old 28-03-2011, 09:57   #51
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

What cell phone plan would you suggest? I would like one that would allow me to call the United States inexpensively. In the Caribbean I can call back to the US for $.29/minute. Any idea what the rates are?
Old 28-03-2011, 10:12   #52

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
What cell phone plan would you suggest? I would like one that would allow me to call the United States inexpensively. In the Caribbean I can call back to the US for $.29/minute. Any idea what the rates are?
Please, be so kind and remind me regarding this matter in the middle of April.
I'll be in Greece and will check the things on place.
Nota bene - there is the company (based in Switzerland - if I remember correctly), offering flat (and not overly expensive) rates for domestic and international calls all over the Europe, and a lot of other countries. Unfortunately - I lost the note with their Web address, and am searching for them again myself
Old 28-03-2011, 10:39   #53
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Was it Migros? I had purchased a sim card from them last year when I was in Switzerland. I had been thinking I would be better off with a local Greek plan but maybe not. I'll also make a note to PM you at the first part of May. Thanks for your help.
David
Old 28-03-2011, 12:11   #54

Cruisers Forum Supporter

On the eastern side of the Kalymnos Island there is a large, quite open bay - Paleonisou Bay.

It has two arms, or inlets, one to the south, one to the north.
Northern arm, under the Ak Pounta, is quite interesting place
The northernmost end of it is well protected in almost any wind, except EES to ESE, which is really rare there. However iy can be a built up cross swell in the entrance to the inlet. Keep quite close to the right when entering.

At the end of the inlet You can drop an anchor (check for it - holding is not the best one) and take a long line to the pier. In smaller boat You can go stern to, but it is relatively shallow at the pier itself - 2 meters, or even less, if I remember correctly.

There are only few houses ashore and the place is quitely isolated. There is some hike over the dirt patch before You reach the end of paved road, and from there not a short bus ride to the more populated area of island.

At the only bigger house from few overlooking the inlet You will find a simple tavern. Food is quite nice, but the visit here is not about food, but about the tavern's owner. Former professor of University of Athens, he left the mainland long time ago and settled on Kalymnos. He made his living of sponge fishing, which is the oldest probably trade on the island. After time he was able to invest in his remote tavern, where he live now.

He is really nice and friendly guy, with a lot of stories to tell about sponge diving, history of the island and others. He speak decently some languages (English and Italian between them), so when going for dinner, expect it to be a long one

Please, forgive me for posting two links to GoogleMaps here, but I'm still trying to sort out a problem of moved view:

Northern arm of Paleonisou Bay

Northern arm of Paleonisou Bay 2

P.S.

Still not sorted. View is moved to east - as usual. I do not know why ???

Best regards

Tomasz
Old 28-03-2011, 14:07   #55

Boat: FORTUNA 27

Quote:
Nisiros

Paloi harbour offers good fresh water and electricity for 10 Euros a day (2010).
If I remember well it is 10 Euro for power and 10 Euro for water. 24 hours with no limit.
Looking Glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 15:34   #56

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:

(...)

The island is unspoilt place, without water tap or electricity, but it has a fine anchorage, completely protected from Meltemi. Only one family of four or five live there and they run small tavern.

(...)

No water, no electricity, 4 inhabitants and a tavern? No sewage treatment either? UNSPOILT???

Ah, Greece!

;-)))

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 15:52   #57

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking Glass View Post
If I remember well it is 10 Euro for power and 10 Euro for water. 24 hours with no limit.

You are correct, of course. I just somehow omitted a word "each" in my post. Sorry, and thank You very much for correction
Old 28-03-2011, 15:52   #58

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
No water, no electricity, 4 inhabitants and a tavern? No sewage treatment either? UNSPOILT???

Ah, Greece!

;-)))

b.

Fantastic - isn't it ? ? ?

Old 28-03-2011, 15:55   #59

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
The Cyclades are the best place I have ever chartered (including BVI, Grenadines, Leewards, Whitsundays and Bay of Islands). Have fun.
It is the quotation from another thread...

But surely it is The Great Tip For Greece
Old 28-03-2011, 17:16   #60

Quote:
Fantastic - isn't it ? ? ?

Yes it is!

"Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On"
Deadcat7382 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Greece