Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2013, 04:35   #1

Boat: Montevideo 43 sloop
the cost of my new 15kg ROCNA

Having 3 large CQRs and a 35lb Delta was proving worrying - so I been shopping for a "better" anchor.
Posted of 25 emails to Italy and UK requesting cost with shipping - 3 replies (so far) and all quote 360 quid + 40 or 60 shipping.

Local Levkas shops had 440 or 385 EU .....

On a whim I called Cleopatra Marina - 354 .

Hopped on the dingy , when I got there - bought the last one , 2nd last sold 20 minutes previously.

I normally avoid Marina stores , but Cleopatra is well stocked and relatively cheap - hope this helps some-one else.

Kris (now with a storage problem - what to do with 3 CQRs)
Old 13-05-2013, 04:45   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473
Re: the cost of my new 15kg ROCNA

Sometimes you get a nice surprise. I was after a new cooker for the boat, all the online suppliers we're quoting between £850 to £960. A local chandler at a marina sold me the same one for £650.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 04:51   #3

Boat: Finnsailer 38

I have found the same thing in the USA--local chandlers and marina stores can often equal or beat the big mail-order places when you figure in shipping, etc. Even if they can't, my time is worth something and it is nice to have them order things and have them waiting right next to my boat.
Old 13-05-2013, 12:04   #4

Boat: Selene 59
Nice to hear a good news story! Personally I think the best thing to do with the CQR anchors is throw them overboard (without chain or warp).
Buena Vista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2013, 17:49   #5

I just bought an American mantus 11 kg for 270 euro, which included 50 euro shipping from a Dutch company. The tests, even if they are the company's own, do make the anchor look good, better even than the rocna(?)

Looking forward to trying it out. It's got to be better than the Bruce I stupidly dropped. Won't be making that schoolboy error again!
Benpikeuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2013, 17:52   #6

Kris, May I ask how busy Cleopatra looked while you were there? I'm looking for a permenant mooring. Considering there or Messolonghi
Benpikeuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2013, 18:49   #7
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

I'm replacing my 25kg Delta with a Rocna 55kg. CYS on Lefkas ordered it for me. I'm somewhat ashamed at how expensive it is - 2100 euro!!

Never thought about checking around because they are the distributor for Greece. It is about 400 euro more expensive than if I bought it in the US.

That was a long dingy ride from Lefkas to Cleo.

Benpikeuk, my cat is in Messolonghi right now and I will be launching in two weeks. There are several threads on YBW liveaboard forum that discuss the problems at Messo. I intend to post my launch experience after we are in. The general feeling is that the marina is ok if you are hauling and storing but not so good as a liveaboard marina. Cleopatra was 3500 euro more expensive for 9 months on the hard.
Old 25-05-2013, 01:10   #8

Boat: 36' solaris sunrise catamaran

[QUOTE=Palarran;1243461]I'm replacing my 25kg Delta with a Rocna 55kg. CYS on Lefkas ordered it for me. I'm somewhat ashamed at how expensive it is - 2100 euro!!

Never thought about checking around because they are the distributor for Greece. It is about 400 euro more expensive than if I bought it in the US.

That was a long dingy ride from Lefkas to Cleo.

Benpikeuk, my cat is in Messolonghi right now and I will be launching in two weeks. There are several threads on YBW liveaboard forum that discuss the problems at Messo. I intend to post my launch experience after we are in. The general feeling is that the marina is ok if you are hauling and storing but not so good as a liveaboard marina. Cleopatra was 3500 euro more expensive for 9 months on the hard.[/QUOTE

My oh my that is a MASSIVE anchor. Why one so big? Great if you have a Mega Yacht.
rivonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 05:53   #9

Palarran weights about 25 tons and when I start to surge back and forth with waves and wind, the delta just plows. We had two very bad cases of dragging last year which made me swear to do what ever it takes to not repeat in the future.

It is the right anchor according to the Rocna charts.
Old 25-05-2013, 06:24   #10

Boat: Montevideo 43 sloop

Pallaran : 55kg would give me a hernia

Notes on Levkas and Preveza....

Anchoring in Levkas is free , but its a busy place and not protected, long term mooring off the wall is not something I would consider.
Anchoring in Preveza is free and there are nice spots to put a mooring for long term. Several boats are there already.
Ionion has no moorings, or Atkio, but Cleopatra has "some" dock space - they are heavily involved with the charter crowd and they must take priority.
I was impressed by Cleopatras staff and equipment - but they were 20% more than Ionion for what I wanted.
Levkas has free dockage on the north wall (next to the main road) , anywhere else and you will be charged - there are several large vessels tied up there already , but still lotsa space.

On a separate note - have you thought about Trizonia - Brilliant quiet protected docks - and FREE ! - not that difficult to get to.
Old 25-05-2013, 06:56   #11

Boat: 36' solaris sunrise catamaran
Smile Re: the cost of my new 15kg ROCNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
Palarran weights about 25 tons and when I start to surge back and forth with waves and wind, the delta just plows. We had two very bad cases of dragging last year which made me swear to do what ever it takes to not repeat in the future.

It is the right anchor according to the Rocna charts.
Wow- good for you then. You certainly have a heavt boat. But with that ROCNA it is highly unlikely that you will drag at all.

Good luck
rivonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 08:14   #12

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Wow, forget about beads and wampum! When I go cruising and want to carry trade goods, I'll be carrying a couple extra Rocna anchors.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 17:37   #13

Kris,
We are heading up to Croatia and Montenegro this year. Next year we will do the Gulf of Corinth and start the Aegean sea. So I'll keep your suggestion for trizonia next year. I'm like you now though with 4 anchors, two of which really have no purpose unless I head back to a hurricane zone.

Tags
rocna