I did it twice .
1) call the vts on the phone
they will ask for your boat
details and then give you information about the currents
2) stay on the side but always check your GPS
speed to clarify if the current
is against you , if the current
is against then traverse a bit sideways until you have current helping you .
3) be carefull for liners coming out of ports
they don't care about you and with the current from behind can be tricky to avoid them
4) Eddie's are fun
on the first time my boat
5) you can do it under sail as well , just make sure not to interfere with the traffic .
6) if you can't call the vts by phone
, call them in the VHF
, both times was easier for me.to get them by phone .
* I never contacted the coast guard neither thought that I need to bother them.