Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2021, 12:44   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Spain -- Local Knowledge Needed

My very dear sailing friend, who just spent more than a month on my boat sailing from one end of the Baltic Sea to the other, despite already owning two other yachts, including a 100 foot motor cruiser with crew of 5, has decided to buy a beautiful almost 70 foot sailing yacht in Spain which he and I, probably double handed, will sail across the Atlantic to the Caribbean in December.

The vessel needs a certain refit -- sails, standing rigging, running rigging, electronics, and some other things. The mast needs to come out. It's at least €100k worth of work, so needs to be put into the proper hands.

Where in Spain is the best place to do this? Or is there even a good place? Barcelona? Alicante? Or is it hopeless, and we need to sail her up to the Solent and have it all done there?

Sails I will order from my wonderful sailmaker in the Solent. My friend fell in love with the in-mast furling system on my boat (despite a lifetime with full batten mains) and wants the exact same sails I have. But a rigger? Electronics? Hull polishing, soda blasting the underwater parts, thorough revision of the main engine and generator and servicing, etc etc etc. ???

I will be really grateful for any tips.

Advice from those with local knowledge urgently needed!
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2021, 14:15   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49
Re: Spain -- Local Knowledge Needed

I have no information about Spain, but has he considered neighbouring France?

The Swiss owner of our previous boat utilised one of the French yards in the Med (sorry, I have no information regarding which one) to have a €200,000+ refit done. Quality of workmanship was his prime concern, not cost.

I would contact a surveyor or two in the area, as I think that would be your best source of information for a project such as this.

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2021, 14:35   #3
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

There are good yards in the La Rochelle area.

Personally I wouldn’t rate the Solent above or below most good yards in Holland or France.
Old 27-07-2021, 15:40   #4

Sorry, not Spain, but what about Portimao in Portugal?
3 yards that can handle larger boats side by side and l many independent tradespeople. It's considered the best place to get blasting work done in the region, Sailmakers, less so, but that shouldn't be an issue for you

Sopramar(?, Not sure of the spelling) in Lagos around the corner also has a great reputation, but isn't cheap and I belive they prefer do the work inhouse when possible.....
Munoz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2021, 08:44   #5

Boat: Dufour Nautitech435/FP Venezia42/Baltec Visiona 40/Catalac 10m used as a river cruiser

where in Spain is the boat located eg. med, atlantic, gulf of biscay?
onavegador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2021, 08:58   #6

Palma de Mallorca is one of the biggest places in the world for yachts and services. There are literally thousands of yachts there. You will find all you need including customs agents if you need to ship stuff in. North Sails would be a good place to start to find a rigger and they will know of other trades too that you require. I live in the south of Spain, but would go to Palma for major works.

https://www.northsails.com/sailing/e...ails-sailmaker
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2021, 09:26   #7

Boat: X-Yachts X4.9 15.0m

From personal experience of using them for a repair, I second that Sopromar in Lagos has some of the best repair facilities in Europe. Lagos is also a convenient start point for a transatlantic crossing. The nearest airport is Faro which is an hour or more away from Lagos.

EMV Marine in Badalona, near Barcelona, has everything you would expect for servicing 100ft sailing yachts. They are a Nautor Swan service center. I have seen the yard but won't be using it until my boat has doubled in size!
dcarratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2021, 09:41   #8

I have just had major work done on my boat in the Carboneras yard. It included hull repair, electrical, mechanical and carpentry. Their main work is building b¡g fishing boats in fiberglass and and maintaining large wood, steel and fiberglass fishing boats.

Call Jesus at 609 457 064‬

Send me an email address and i will provide before and after photos.
peterbeale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2021, 11:15   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Thanks for all the useful replies! I know people in Portimao and on Mallorca, so those plus Lago are top of the list so far. I think next I will start talking to potential contractors.

I need a good rigger, and I need someone good with electronics. All recommendations gratefully received.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 28-07-2021, 11:38   #10

Boat: Moody Carbineer 52

I second Palma de Mallorca. There is an abundance of really good contractors there. (I had a lot of work done over the five years I had my boat there,) CD
keithw88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2021, 12:40   #11

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

Hi. I was based in Alcudiamar marina in Port D’Alcudia for 12 years in the north of Mallorca. Plenty of expertise in all marine trades in the locality up there. Enough competition to keep prices realistic although i would be surprised if the mainland isnt cheaper. Probably cheaper than Palma though. My only other Spanish experience was in La Coruna. Again several local yards. Very impressive. If interested l could dig out the name of the yard i used.
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2021, 12:55   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Dockhead, I think your biggest problem will be running out of time, but interesting plan.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2021, 13:46   #13

Boat: Tayana 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
My very dear sailing friend, who just spent more than a month on my boat sailing from one end of the Baltic Sea to the other, despite already owning two other yachts, including a 100 foot motor cruiser with crew of 5, has decided to buy a beautiful almost 70 foot sailing yacht in Spain which he and I, probably double handed, will sail across the Atlantic to the Caribbean in December.

The vessel needs a certain refit -- sails, standing rigging, running rigging, electronics, and some other things. The mast needs to come out. It's at least €100k worth of work, so needs to be put into the proper hands.

Where in Spain is the best place to do this? Or is there even a good place? Barcelona? Alicante? Or is it hopeless, and we need to sail her up to the Solent and have it all done there?

Sails I will order from my wonderful sailmaker in the Solent. My friend fell in love with the in-mast furling system on my boat (despite a lifetime with full batten mains) and wants the exact same sails I have. But a rigger? Electronics? Hull polishing, soda blasting the underwater parts, thorough revision of the main engine and generator and servicing, etc etc etc. ???

I will be really grateful for any tips.

Advice from those with local knowledge urgently needed!

I expect that with the proposed work outlined for a 70 footer you would need to plan for at earliest, a December 2022 departure, and that would be optimistic, irrespective of which yard you find.
kish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2021, 13:46   #14

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie12 View Post
Palma de Mallorca is one of the biggest places in the world for yachts and services. There are literally thousands of yachts there. You will find all you need including customs agents if you need to ship stuff in. North Sails would be a good place to start to find a rigger and they will know of other trades too that you require. I live in the south of Spain, but would go to Palma for major works.

https://www.northsails.com/sailing/e...ails-sailmaker
This is for me the best possible place to have all required competences in one place.
Otherwise look at Marseille in France where they have done a very succesfull conversion of the shipyard activities to superyacht maintenance and upgrades.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2021, 14:40   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kish View Post
I expect that with the proposed work outlined for a 70 footer you would need to plan for at earliest, a December 2022 departure, and that would be optimistic, irrespective of which yard you find.

Really? I did a similar job some years ago in Cowes, over about 3 months. Even doing some of the work myself. Rerig and replace electronics? How long can that take?
Walt Whitman

Tags
cal, Spain