Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2010, 14:18   #1

Small Boat Insurance - Denmark To Med

I'm considering buying a small boat in the north and sailing and motoring through the canals to the sea. I've just handed the seller cash and I need to do what in order to be legal. I am a US citizen with mucho local US sailing experience. I've decided not to take my current boat across. Thank you. Yes, I'll say hello to Gretchen und Helga for you.
Langusto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:57   #2

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Enjoy.
You'll need an ICC as a minimum qualification (not needed if you sail around the coast - only inland waterways) and if you do seek insurance, suggest you try www.pantaenius.co.uk.

Cheers
Old 17-08-2010, 08:27   #3

Isn't insurance mandatory in Spain, France, and Italy? Thank you.
Old 17-08-2010, 16:48   #4

Boat: 33ft sloop
If you take the canals you can just enter Germany with mast down and follow
the canals and rivers.
If needed, I can give you all directions to the Med, it 'll take a bit of time only and during the winter the French are working on the inland waterways so it might be possible that you will have some delay at ..... canals. The big ones will be open anyhow but there are some smaller ones that you have to pass.
If you sail your own boat, neither in Holland nor in France they will ask for your ICC as long as your boat is below certain limits: < 15 meters and no higher speed than 20 km/h under power. Framnce might be different but anyhow nobody will ask you. Once in the Med, nobody is interested as long as the boat is your own.

Make sure that your boat is seaworthy by all means.
The German Bight is no laughing stock if the weather turns nasty, neither is the Elbe apparoach - those water are pretty unforgiving.

Insurance is mandatory everywhere. The boat not so much but personal liability is. Pantaenius is a good address. They are internationally recognised and handle anything that floats.
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 10:38   #5

Thank you for the weather advice, as I am looking for a scow or sharpie type jacht. I'd like to take the boat I have now, but ...

Thank you for the insurance information.
Old 18-08-2010, 11:19   #6

The old fashioned Scandinavian designs are narrow. Not really equipped for long passages.
The modern Scandinavian ranges from good to excellent.
Make sure that the draft doesnot exceed 1.60 meter. That is the maximum draft for the smaller canals in France. They are dredging and bringing the canals to depths of 1.80 - 2.00 meters. Anything till 1.60 will be ok.
Old 25-08-2010, 09:42   #7

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Just to make sure there's no misinformation being shared- the EU is not common with these rulings.
You do not need any qualification to drive any boat under 15 metres in the UK, Netherlands, Belgium - on inland or coastal waters.
In France you do not need any qualifications to operate a boat under 15 metres on coastal waters.
But as a minimum the French ask you to provide an ICC (International Certificate of Competency) endorsed for inland waters if you are operating a private craft inland - unless you are hiring a boat............. in which case it is not needed!!!!
Seems silly I know.
And regarding insurance cover. You'll not find any official / national need to be insured to enter a country, but practically (unless you plan to anchor every single night) you'll not find any marina who will let you in if you've not got third party cover. As others have said - it is well worth it.
JOHN
Old 25-08-2010, 10:41   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagman View Post
Enjoy.
You'll need an ICC as a minimum qualification (not needed if you sail around the coast - only inland waterways) and if you do seek insurance, suggest you try www.pantaenius.co.uk. Cheers
I will second Pantaenius, we insure with them. There are cheaper, just, but we like the cover these folk offer. They are also strick when you start, a good thing in my view in that they work out exactly what the risk is before offering cover. The risk came down when I offered copies of sailing qualifications and a CV of experience. They also wanted a recent survey of the yacht which we had from the purchase 2 years previously and a copy of the receipt for the change of rigging 10 years ago on a 20 year old yacht.

So they want to know about you before taking on a poor risk which ought to keep the number of claims down they need to pay out.

Good people

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 11:15   #9

Re: Small Boat Insurance - Denmark To Med

Can you read Dutch? It could be wise to buy a Dutch ANWB almanac but the regs are principally a requirement for Dutch owned vessels subsequently operators.

Kids throwing stones we have that om our highways.
Old 16-09-2011, 11:54   #10

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langusto View Post
Isn't insurance mandatory in Spain, France, and Italy? Thank you.
Spain - yes - third party, cost about 100 USD per year, available locally for EU boats.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 14:07   #11

Everywhere within the EU boat insurance is obligatory on the level of legal responsibility.
Damage to the craft itself remains your own decision.
Old 17-09-2011, 02:43   #12
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacG
Everywhere within the EU boat insurance is obligatory on the level of legal responsibility.
Damage to the craft itself remains your own decision.
No it isn't, generally private marinas need public liability. But to mandatory insurance only some countries need it. Though you be mad not to have some form of at least third party insurance

Dave

Tags
Denmark