Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2014, 04:21   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates
Should A Non Eu Boat Sail Across The Atlantic To Sail The Med

This may cause a bit of controversy but so be it -- we are a usa boat that sailed acrossed the atlantic last year to see and sail the med -- what a mistake -- do not get me wrong the crossing was incredible and the people we have met along the way could not have been nicer -- it is really an experience painting your boat name on the wall in horta or sailing into gibraltar or cartagena or tunisia or how can you descirbe sailing into bonifacio harbor for the 1st time --

But if i had to do it again i would not have sailed across -- the schengren agreement is just to limiting - you get a whooping 90 days to do any sailing and sight seeing -- by the time you get into the med you have to start worrying about getting out which we did by wintering over in tunisia - and it was simply wonderful -- what a great country

Then you start the next summer sailing seasson after spending the spring planning on how to make the best out of 90 days -- we decided to go to the east side of sardinia, 2 quick stops in corisca, then to rome and a very fast run down the italian coast and over to albania and croatia for the summer - we have to be mindful to keep at least 2-3 weeks available to return to italy and sicily for the run back to tunisia for a second winter --

One of the problems you have deal with is the weather -- we are currently sitting in corisca waiting on a weather window to sail to rome and each day we sit we have to adjust our schedule to make fewer stops along the way --
So far we have lost probably 5-6 days due to weather and we know we will lose a few more along the way -- we have also just had a valve failure and will have to haul out for a couple of days for a repair - more lost days -

If i had to do it again i would have flown over rented a camper van and seen the sights by road - no weather issues

So our advise to non eu boats - don't sail across - the schengren agreement is just to restrictive --

We are already here and trying to make the best out of a very bad situtation

Oh by the way with the high unemployment, lack of jobs and a stagnat economy it would seem there would be thought to increase tourism and with it dollars from outside the eu -- but that concept seems to be lost on the ruling eu body - we spend money on everything from marinas, to boat parts, to food, restaurants, bars, doctors, denists, bus, trains, hotels, you name it but most of it will be spent in non eu countries as our travel is very restricted in the eu and most of our summer sailing season will be outside the eu along with the entire winter -- and i can tell you the tunisia love our spending money there

Some may disagree but this is our opinion
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2014, 04:57   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: should a non eu boat sail across the atlantic to sail the med

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post

some may disagree but this is our opinion

I've never been, but I would agree based on all the threads. It has always seemed the only real answer is to hope no one notices you, which of course is just kind of a setup.
Old 27-05-2014, 05:31   #3

Boat: Jeanneau 57

The Schengen agreement restricts the time that people can stay in the area, but the foreign flagged boat can remain longer. I'm confused as to why you included a non-eu boat in this? And remember, foreigners visiting the USA by boat get 90 days as well.
Old 27-05-2014, 05:51   #4

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
The Schengen agreement restricts the time that people can stay in the area, but the foreign flagged boat can remain longer. I'm confused as to why you included a non-eu boat in this? And remember, foreigners visiting the USA by boat get 90 days as well.
Worse - according to the laws, a non usa boat must report to the coast guard whenever the boat moves - some coasties interpert this to mean moving from one slip to another within the same marina.

Sorry - while I have a lot of sympathy for foreign boats that find EU rules restrictive - no way are they as restrictive as the us ones.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2014, 06:23   #5
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Unfortunately boaters are an unintended consequence of a EU wide relaxation of internal borders and the consequent need to strengthen external borders.

Because non EU boats are a fraction of a fraction of a pin in terms of economic impact, they have no clout in that regards. sorry that's just the reality. The EU is the wealthiest economic area on the planet, a couple of hundred non EU visiting boaters arnt going to influence that.

There is a plan before the European Parliament to look at long term holiday visas. Unfortunately given the speed of EU decisions and the general negative attitude to immigration relaxation and other freedoms , it may take many years to resolve.

At least it's not as restrictive as visiting the US

Dave
Old 27-05-2014, 06:41   #6

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Should A Non Eu Boat Sail Across The Atlantic To Sail The Med

Funny how the danged gubermints are the same ol same ol everywhere: High dollar spender/visitors are regulated while deadbeats can clog the waterways for decades.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2014, 06:43   #7
Nearly an old salt

Re: Should A Non Eu Boat Sail Across The Atlantic To Sail The Med

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Funny how the danged gubermints are the same ol same ol everywhere: High dollar spender/visitors are regulated while deadbeats can clog the waterways for decades.

Just how does that apply to the non US visitor to the EU ?????, your comment is actually a political view in ( thin ) disguise

Dave
Old 27-05-2014, 06:46   #8

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

I completely understand and sympathize. Our plan was to cross the Atlantic in May 2015, spend 2 years or so in the Med with winters in Turkey, then cross back to Barbados. If the 90 day restriction is not changed, we will revise our plans.

What we'll do is still undecided. But cruising and visiting the EU for 90 days and then leaving for 90 days is not something I'm willing to comply with, so I won't go.

Hopefully this will be changed soon so we cruisers can visit some beautiful countries without overly restrictive legislation forcing us to leave every 3 months.
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2014, 06:50   #9
Nearly an old salt

It will not be changed soon as changing the Schengen Acquis requires all member state consent. The issue also has very low priority as the numbers affected are small.

Hence plan accordingly, if it bugs you then I wouldn't visit the EU med countries.

We have a number of nice 2 week package holidays you could avail off instead !!!

Dave
Old 27-05-2014, 06:51   #10

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

What you describe is also common in the Caribe. For example, the C4 Central American countries immigrations also require you to leave the conglomerated area after 90 days. The boat is good for a year (and renewable), but you must make arrangements for your persons to regain immigration status every 90 days. A bit of a pain, but only a (relatively) inexpensive airplane ride away.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2014, 06:53   #11

Yes ChuckR we are in the same shape, although Canadians, we did a winter in Turkey and certainly you can easily get a visa extension as well but while it was wonderful we really don't want to stay there on a long term basis and 3 months is just too short of a time to spend here. We are heading west and over to the Caribbean as we are not interested in getting caught for extending our stay. Like you we would recommend that a Canadian boat is not the best way to see the Med. beautiful as it is.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2014, 07:03   #12

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

For all of you posting that other countries also limit stays to 90 days, do these countries also require you leave for 90 days before returning? I'm not acquainted with immigration laws, so that's an honest question.

If the EU only required we left for a day or two every 90 days, no problem. Inconvenient, but not enough to keep me from complying with the law.

The deal killer is 90 days in, 90 days out. It is simply too restrictive for me, and I won't cross the Atlantic as long as that is the situation.
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2014, 07:08   #13
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Should A Non Eu Boat Sail Across The Atlantic To Sail The Med

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Yes ChuckR we are in the same shape, although Canadians, we did a winter in Turkey and certainly you can easily get a visa extension as well but while it was wonderful we really don't want to stay there on a long term basis and 3 months is just too short of a time to spend here. We are heading west and over to the Caribbean as we are not interested in getting caught for extending our stay. Like you we would recommend that a Canadian boat is not the best way to see the Med. beautiful as it is.
Its not the boat in the EU.. its the people.. even if you had a 12mth charter on an EU boat you'd have to get out after 90 days..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2014, 07:21   #14

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve77 View Post
For all of you posting that other countries also limit stays to 90 days, do these countries also require you leave for 90 days before returning? I'm not acquainted with immigration laws, so that's an honest question.

If the EU only required we left for a day or two every 90 days, no problem. Inconvenient, but not enough to keep me from complying with the law.

The deal killer is 90 days in, 90 days out. It is simply too restrictive for me, and I won't cross the Atlantic as long as that is the situation.
For our experience in the Caribe, you do not have to leave for 90 days. The typical out of country period is 72hrs, but we have never had anyone question that time. They simply look at the stamp in our passport and we are good to go. In Guatemala, for example, that meant just catching a launcha to Belize, check in/out and come back on the return launcha. In Panama, immigration gives you 6 months if you ask (and pay) for it.

Also, in Panama it is possible to get a "tripulante", which ties your visa to the ship's status - which is one year.

In the Eastern Caribe, it is just too simple to visit other countries by boat to worry about.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2014, 07:31   #15
cruiser

Come to Spain and base yourself here. The Spanish authorities are much more accommodating.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail