Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2022, 02:49   #1

Boat: Looking
September/October bareboat destination for beginners

My girlfriend and I have just completed our RYA Day Skipper course and we are looking to do a bareboat catamaran charter somewhere in the Med. The abundance of choice is overwhelming so I would appreciate some recommendations to narrow it down. Our priorities are:
  1. No VHF license required (so Croatia is off the list) - we have passed our RYA SRC exam but apparently it might take very long time before we get our licenses mailed to us.
  2. Must be easy and safe for beginners in September/October. (Our only experience is the Competent Crew + Day Skipper courses; the latter on a catamaran.)
  3. Abundance of well-protected gulfs with no other people and yachts around - we will probably want to spend the entire weekend in solitude, surrounded by nature.
We will probably spend the first day practising docking with a skipper/instructor hired for that purpose. Then we will probably spend the rest of the week on the hook in quiet gulfs. This is a test-run to see how we like the idea of living on and working from a boat, before I start shopping for one.

We are searching for charter boats on Globe Sailor which seems to be pretty highly rated on trustpilot. There is a boat in Golfe Juan, France that's very appealing since it's an owners' version but the location doesn't seem to offer the peace and solitude that we seek.
Freeeeedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 13:47   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 45
Re: September/October bareboat destination for beginners

We hired a Lagoon 40 for a week out of Corfu and loved it. We went out in July, so solitude was out the window. Every bay was pretty well full, unless you arrived before 3pm. It was my first time as skipper of a cat and we managed to return without a scratch!

The weather was very easy, although we had 1 day just over 20 knots for about 2 hrs.
svtickles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bareboat, boat, destination