Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2014, 18:20   #1

September 2014 One Week Bareboat - Spain, Croatia, or elsewhere?

Hi all and thanks in advance for any help you may be able to offer. My fiance and I are planning a bareboat charter for our honeymoon and are currently exploring destinations.

Since the wedding is in September, most of the Caribbean and Mexico are out due to hurricane season. We have also ruled out Asia because it is too far away from the US and we can only get about two weeks off of work - it's not worth the expensive flight to get there for such a short period of time. After some research, we are settling on Croatia or Spain (ideally the Balearic islands). (Other suggestions are still very much appreciated.)

For the past three years, we have owned and sailed a 20 foot sloop in one of the Great Lakes. We also race in the Great Lakes. This past winter, we completed the ASA courses 101, 103 and 104 on a 52 ft Dufour, sailing in winds 30+ on some days! The course was completed out of Fort Lauderdale, Florida. We feel ready to charter but have never done it before, so we're looking for a good 'beginner' area.

Croatia looks beautiful but I'm concerned because there doesn't seem to be *that* much information on cruising there. We're ordering a cruising guide so hopefully that will help. I hesitate, though, because I'm not sure that Croatia is set-up well to deal with bareboat Americans? (As compared to, say, BVI.) Spain is another possibility since it seems to be a more well-known cruising ground, but I worry that it might be prohibitively expensive. We looked into Greece too but I read that it can be more of an intermediate-level destination. Thoughts?

Thanks for your time and help!
SweetSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 01:54   #2

Location: Adriatic and Inland France (summer); New Forest, UK (winter)
Boat: Oyster 435 cutter-rigged ketch and Nowee 38 motor yacht
Re: September 2014 One Week Bareboat - Spain, Croatia, or elsewhere?

The Balearics are beautiful, but still crowded in September. The problem with just a week is visiting more than just one or two of the islands (unless you plan on doing some long passages). Anchoring in the calas is great in good weather, but the marinas get packed out very quickly if the weather turns.

If you consider Greece, think in terms of chartering in the so-called Inland Sea (the area in the Ionian between the mainland and the islands of Lefkas and Kefalonia), which is very safe even in bad weather and has some lovely harbours and anchorages. You can charter with Sunsail out of Vounaki on the mainland or with several independent companies out of Lefkas.

Most charterers in Croatia operate out of Zadar or Split (Zadar being probably more suitable for a short charter) and you can achieve a lot in a week since the distances between islands are not great.

For up to date info on Croatia, take a look at the World Cruising Wiki (Croatia - a Cruising Guide on the World Cruising and Sailing Wiki), which has details on all the islands and harbours around both Zadar and Split. For similar info on the Inland Sea see (Ionian Sea - a Cruising Guide on the World Cruising and Sailing Wiki) and the island entries for Lefkas, Kefalonia, Ithaca, Meganisi, Kastos and Kalamos - the main islands in the Inland Sea.

Whatever you choose, have a memorable trip - for all the right reasons!
Old 19-02-2014, 14:28   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

I believe Greece or Turkey is a better option.. Good food, warmer weather and sea in September, reasonable prices..You can even make both the same week.

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 14:53   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR

I believe that in second half of September the Dodecanese (Greece) and/or adjacent to Dodecanese coast of Turkey are best destinations. Beautiful, not so expensive, almost guaranteed good weather...

What do You mean writing: "set-up well to deal with bareboat Americans?"

Is the "bareboat American" some kind of strange and dangerous sea monster???
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 18:36   #5

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I will certainly look further into Greece - that seems like a reasonable option and perhaps I ruled it out too soon!

@DoubleWhisky- haha, perhaps sometimes Bareboat Americans are dangerous sea monsters? But really, I just meant some places might have better infrastructure (ie be more English-speaking friendly, have easily accessible charts, etc) than others. We've had a difficult time locating a Croatian cruising guide!
SweetSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 18:50   #6

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

I recommend sailing a charter in the Society Islands/French Polynesia. Nothing beats the scenery of Bora Bora while you are on your honeymoon. I have traveled to over 40 countries in my lifetime. Bora Bora and Moorea are among the top five of my favorites. Good luck!

Mauritz
Old 19-02-2014, 20:57   #7

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Navegante1105

Hi..I normally charter in September in the Balearics. You can check this address if interested : Yacht charter, sale and management | Cruesa It is the place where I charter the boat. And departing from Mallorca, best places for Me are the east coast of Mallorca, the south coast of Menorca and my special paradise, the island of Cabrera; it is a natural park, You have to apply to moore there on a floating ball, but this can be done by Cruesa, the charter company. It cost You 15€ a day, depending the size of the boat. I have some pictures in my profile, and posted some pictures also in destinations pictures section, in cruisers forum.
Congratulations anyway for your wedding. Any information You may need more, do not hesitate to ask.
Regards, Agustin.
Navegante1105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 00:09   #8

Boat: Lagoon 400

I second Teknav's suggestions. I also traveled to over 40 countries and really hard to beat the beauty of Bora, especially for a honeymoon. Flights aren't too bad. After arriving in Papeete use Air Tahiti passes to get to the yacht bases in Raeatea?

Prices are a little spendy compared to the Carib but scenery well worth it. Check out Dream Yacht Charter for some decent deals. Tahiti Yacht Charter is a little more expensive, but good boats.

Cheers!
pathlesschosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 01:39   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSunshine View Post
We've had a difficult time locating a Croatian cruising guide!
There are three principal ones: Adriatic Waters Pilot by T & D Thompson – 6th Edition, published by Imray; Croatia, Slovenia, Montenegro and Albania: 777 Harbours & Anchorages - 6th edition (2014), published by Magnamare, and Croatia Cruising Companion by Jane Cody & John Nash (2007), published by Wiley Nautical. The Adriatic Waters Pilot is probably the most authoritative (though not always as up to date as the World Cruising Wiki).
Old 20-02-2014, 03:33   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I will certainly look further into Greece - that seems like a reasonable option and perhaps I ruled it out too soon!

@DoubleWhisky- haha, perhaps sometimes Bareboat Americans are dangerous sea monsters? But really, I just meant some places might have better infrastructure (ie be more English-speaking friendly, have easily accessible charts, etc) than others. We've had a difficult time locating a Croatian cruising guide!
In Croatia German is much more popular than English.
In Turkey and Greece never had a problems with communications - enough of English speaking people around.
Marina infrastructure in Turkey is probably the best in Med.
In Greece You can cruise cheaply using picturesque local harbours for almost no fee.
There is abundance of free beautiful anchorages in both countries.
In Croatia in a lot of places You need to pay even for the night on Your own hook...

Regarding charts and books:
Imray maps:
G1, G11, G12, G121, G13, G14 , G141, G15, G16, G21, G22, G23, G25, G26, G27, G28, G31, G32, G33, G34, G35, G36, G37, G38, G39, G40
will give You total coverage for the Greece/Turkey area.

For pilot books the Greek Waters Pilot and Turkish Waters and Cyprus Pilot by Rod Heikell are of best value.

Check at:
https://www.imray.com/

Cheers,

Tomasz
Old 20-02-2014, 07:57   #11

Quote:
If you're looking at the Inland Sea, I should have mentioned Sail Ionian, who are based at Vlikho in the bay of the same name on Lefkas (see Vlikho Bay - a Cruising Guide on the World Cruising and Sailing Wiki). Several friends have used them for bareboat charters and were very happy.

I'd certainly recommend the Inland Sea if you want a relaxing one-week cruise in Greek waters. The Dodecanese are indeed lovely, but the Aegean can still be challenging, even in September, which (unless your prospective bride is an exceptional example of her species) might not be the greatest start to married life!
Old 20-02-2014, 08:08   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by athene View Post
unless your prospective bride is an exceptional example of her species
Hmmmmm.......

I do believe OP is herself an exceptional example of her species....

Old 20-02-2014, 09:00   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleWhisky View Post
Hmmmmm.......

I do believe OP is herself an exceptional example of her species....

How do you deduce that - even after a double whisky? My login is Athene (after the little owl, athene noctua, not the Greek goddess of wisdom), but I was a bloke the last time I looked.

Sweet Sunshine just strikes me as a great name for a boat. Perhaps he/she will enlighten us if he/she chooses. I know he/she writes fiance rather than fiancee, but then Americans never were good spellers ...

GORDON (male, 66, GSOH)
Old 20-02-2014, 09:09   #14

I can also second recommendation to try sailing in Greece, particularly if you never been there: great sailing places and a lot of history.
alex_sauvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 09:44   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by athene View Post
How do you deduce that - even after a double whisky? My login is Athene (after the little owl, athene noctua, not the Greek goddess of wisdom), but I was a bloke the last time I looked.

Sweet Sunshine just strikes me as a great name for a boat. Perhaps he/she will enlighten us if he/she chooses. I know he/she writes fiance rather than fiancee, but then Americans never were good spellers ...

GORDON (male, 66, GSOH)
I just needed to check her profile and previous posts, dear Watson, oh, sorry, Gordon
And may be, just may be, she is even a good speller

Best regards

Tomasz

Tags
bareboat, Croatia, Spain