Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2019, 05:20   #1

Boat: Jenneau 45.2
Schengen Visa

I am a British citizen and like many others have had a boat in Greece for many years.

Brexit is now drawing dangerously near and we still don’t know what effect it will have on us. I am due to return in late March and will be in Greece hopefully until mid Oct, with a possible break from the heat in July and August.

Does anybody know if I need to apply for a visa? If so where do I apply to?

Fellow UK sailors all over Europe are going to have the same problem. I suspect that other than ourselves nobody has yet thought about this!

I am going to bury my head in the sand and cruise around and hope for the best! I hope that I don’t live to regret it. :
Jenneau Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2019, 05:28   #2

Re: Schengen Visa

I can't see how anyone would give you a hard time about it, as it hasn't been resolved as of yet.

Would make no sense to apply, as Britain is still in the EU as of the moment.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2019, 05:28   #3

I suspect there will be a delay in Brexit and even if it kicks in sometime around June, I doubt any Schengen country will have the appropriate paperwork/systems in place by the summer anyway.

Please ignorance and I'd say you and many others will get away with it for a while.
B23iL23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2019, 05:49   #4
cruiser

You'll probably be just like us Americans, 90 days in then 90 days out, or use two different passports. Usually not a big deal or inconvenience.

Ask a Swiss friend how they do it.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2019, 11:01   #5
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Only one thing to do old man. Hightail it into Gibraltar, and form up with the invasion fleet that will be heading out to subjugate the EU and turn it all into Crown territory again.

You might even get the US to ally with you, that would also end the Schengen nonsense for us at the same time.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2019, 11:58   #6

Boat: CT-47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
You'll probably be just like us Americans, 90 days in then 90 days out, or use two different passports. Usually not a big deal or inconvenience.

Ask a Swiss friend how they do it.

Switzerland is part of Schengen and has bilateral agreements with the EU ... therefore the 90 / 90 days do not apply for Swiss citizens.
gabilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2019, 18:37   #7
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabilo View Post
Switzerland is part of Schengen and has bilateral agreements with the EU ... therefore the 90 / 90 days do not apply for Swiss citizens.
I forgot, my bad. Thanks for making the correction.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 07:11   #8

Boat: Hanse 575

I was told my the Greek consulate that I can’t even apply for long term visitor visa to accompany my British hubby on the boat. They want to wait and see what happens on March 29. We are heading to Corfu on March 26 so he is in the EU before the brexit date. Meanwhile...counting my days used on a calendar. He thinks we should head back to Croatia. I’m thinking we may get to see Turkey and Cypress! Any preferences or concerns, please let me know!
ClubClaudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 15:14   #9

Boat: Hans Christian 33

We're prepping for our transAt to the Med in May. Still trying to figure out this Schengen deal with the 90 days in Schengen nations and 90 days out. It seems its going to take some strategic planning of when and where to check in/check out.
Does anyone have any experience with overstaying the allotted 90 days?
Could you claim mechanical/boat troubles?
Looks like we'll be spending more time in Croatia than originally anticipated...which isn't a bad thing.
RobMinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 09:59   #10
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Rob-
What's to figure about Schengen limits?
The simplest excuse if the most likely. Or, as the journalists used to say, follow the money.

So Reason #1 for a 90 day limit, is that the average traveler will be flying in. Having a 90 day limit ensures they need to book multiple trips, pay multiple airfares, make the state-owned airlines more profitable. Easy enough.

Reason #2 could be simple political vengeance, reciprocity. If the US was issuing 90-day visas to some Schengen zone citizens...slap! slap! Here's right back at you, you get the same shabby treatment.

SOMEONE set those limits for a reason, and in one way or another it was probably designed to either penalize or profiteer.

You can try to dodge it--but penalties at border crossings everywhere have always been somewhat arbitrary and subject to mordida. As long as you're willing to be physically ejected and have your boat separately arrested in a foreign port, no problem. Or you can fly under the radar and maybe avoid that.

Simpler to get out of Schengen, find a world-class accommodation in Tunisia, Lebanon, Croatia...You know, just deal with it and don't worry about overstaying.

Then you can also write the first "World Cruisers' Guide to Dancing Around the Schengen Zone" and become a famous (and well appreciated) author at the same time.(G)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 01:38   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

This from the RYA is worth a read:

https://www.rya.org.uk/knowledge-adv...-scenario.aspx

If the boat is in the EU now and will be on 29 Mar 19, I would make damn sure that I had some paperwork to prove it in the future.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 04:21   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post

So Reason #1 for a 90 day limit, is that the average traveler will be flying in. Having a 90 day limit ensures they need to book multiple trips, pay multiple airfares, make the state-owned airlines more profitable. Easy enough.
99.9% of travelers never exceed 2-3 weeks, so 90 days is more than enough for the vast majority without making it a backdoor way around getting residency rules. No secret cabal.

To the OP, no one can tell you because the rules haven't been determined yet.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 04:32   #13
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Schengen Visa

Hell.. The rules have not even been established for us who live in the EU..
Although Brussels demands EU citizens are guaranteed their rights in the UK they could not care less about reciprocity.. seems down to individual countries.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 04:45   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Hell.. The rules have not even been established for us who live in the EU..
Although Brussels demands EU citizens are guaranteed their rights in the UK they could not care less about reciprocity.. seems down to individual countries.
Huh? European Commission - PRESS RELEASES - Press release - Brexit preparedness: European Commission proposes visa-free travel to the EU for UK nationals in a no deal scenario – if the UK also grants reciprocal visa-free travel to all EU citizens

https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/p...ating-mandate/
AlfaGTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 04:55   #15

Key point...."IF" they grant reciprocity.

True or false, a big part of the brexit sell was people coming in and taking jobs from brits, so there will be at least a faction resisting it.

Honestly, I would be surprised if they don't come to some accommodation but there simply isn't a clear answer at the moment.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote