Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2016, 02:56   #31

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II
Re: Satellite DSL for Cruisers in the Med

Returning to the thread......
The EU are progressively removing roaming charges for phones and data, to be completely removed by 2017, but not too bad in 2016 (extra 0.05 Euro/Mb max). Depending on how much you move about the EU it should be more convenient to buy the cheapest deal in the EU and use it everywhere except Non-EU countries.
If you purchase one such SIM and use it in a MIFI router plus an external aerial which you can put high up, you should get good coverage.

There is no need to get extra SIMs for the phone(s) as you can make calls via WIFI (some providers) or use SKYPE which will work with everything. The alternative of putting a local SIM in a phone and tethering may not work depending on the providers as some detect tethering and cut it off or restrict bandwidth.

We have a VIP (Vodaphone) SIM in a MiFI router for Croatia and it costs about 1.3 Euro/Gb/day prepaid, if you don't use it, you don't pay. There are alternative plans for different useage profiles. 3G coverage is excellent in bays, harbours and offshore
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 04:10   #32
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Carsten we have used 2 digicel data sims from Grenada to BVIs. One sim for the French islands and one for the rest. Prices around $10-$20 a Gb. Pretty decent coverage and speed everywhere.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 07:52   #33

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
At the risk of being accused of thread hijack (ok it is - but only a bit), we'll be sailing in the carribean and the US/canada for a couple of years starting next christmas (coming over with the ARC).

So - what do we do? My european 3/4G sim cards will work in the US and probably the carribean (ouch the $$$$$$).

Do any of the american phone companies offer something that can be used both in the carribean and the US/canada?

Here I'm thinking about installing a wifi hotspot on the boat - using 1 sim card to power the entire boat and (If I can figure it out) also using that for my phone when I'm on the boat.

I'm not a tech nerd so please have a bit of sympathy. If you're going to get technical - explain it so a dummy like me can understand it
Be sure to check out the mobile company in your country. Especially for USA.
Although Canada is probably different due to proximity we have at least 2 providers that offer complete coverage in both the USA and Canada for a flat rate (unlimited everything).
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 07:55   #34

Boat: Bénéteau Oceanis 393 Clipper, 12 m / 39'

I agree with MarkJ. You are so darn right, MarkJ.
Regards
Skipper-Ingo
Skipper-Ingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 09:31   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by sy_gilana View Post
To the previous poster SimonV, (The OP can go whistle)

The question was wrongly posed. There is no DSL over sat. There is no DSL in the EU, its called ADSL, because it is Asymmetrical, ie the UL/DL ratios differ.

If he meant Satellite Broadband, then let him go that route and waste his money.

The best internet access in the Med is by 4G or 3G HSPA/HSUPA etc ie wireless GSM.

The word BEST in the above sentence refers to ease of use and per megabyte and set up costs. With a cell phone antenna amplifier you can get 20 miles offshore, and you are not really going to be doing work while making passages.

You must look at what frequencies the providers use in the countries you will be transiting. In Spain, Germany, France, there is a company called SIMYO and ALL their hardware is unlocked, ie you can use it on any carrier. Look at this WiFi/GSM Router Telefonos libres | Moviles baratos | Simyo

Look for the frequencies here GSM World Coverage Map- GSM Country List by frequency bands

Its easy, just try not to sign any contracts and go prepaid as much as you can....
Hi sy_gilana.

I am interested in this thread because I will be in the UK and Ireland Next month. I am flying and probably the only sailing I will get is if I rent or run into someone with a boat. Anyway, I am more interested in temporary Internet service for the above countries that can handle a couple of laptops. The phone is secondary as I don't expect to be making a lot of calls. It would be nice if the service worked for both countries. Would I need to purchase additional equipment, etc.

TIA Pat.
Old 12-01-2016, 12:31   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
In order to answer your question, we need to know exactly what you are asking. Just by the fact that you mixed up satellite with DSL and internet service on a boat indicates you have no clue what you're talking about, so how is anyone supposed to guess what your question really was about?

Nobody was getting smug with you, they simply answered your question, but you aren't informed enough to even understand that much.

A better answer is to use the "Search" function, because this question has been answered at length probably a thousand times, so I don't see any reason why your laziness should result in multiple people wasting their time educating you when you should be educating yourself.

My version of the old proverb,"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it think."
Or, the original Dorothy Parker version , " You can lead a whore to culture but you can't make them think
bustermaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 12:40   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by achil View Post
Hi sy_gilana.

I am interested in this thread because I will be in the UK and Ireland Next month. I am flying and probably the only sailing I will get is if I rent or run into someone with a boat. Anyway, I am more interested in temporary Internet service for the above countries that can handle a couple of laptops. The phone is secondary as I don't expect to be making a lot of calls. It would be nice if the service worked for both countries. Would I need to purchase additional equipment, etc.

TIA Pat.
You can get 3G for about £25 a month in the UK or 4G at roughly £50.
These are pay as you go prices and can be had at most stores like the ubiquitous Argos.
Hope that helps
bustermaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 12:49   #38
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

skip- You might want to shorten the list. The more I read about Wifi schemes, the more I'm convinced that if you are not using fully end-to-end encrypted WiFi over a VPN setup ($$) you will be pwned, sooner or later.

And using HF digital means 300-1200 baud speeds, really, which is not going to make anyone looking for "internet" very happy these days.

Now, I remember that satellite internet had some latency problems and IIRC Skype and some other services couldn't be used with satcoms because of that. So I can't help but wonder...especially since I'm in the FCC's "Sam Knows" program and I get all sorts of hard data about my connections every month...

What's the typical latency on a satellite DSL connection, anyway? Figuring synchronous orbits, so the cables don't get tangled, what is that, about 220 miles each way on the wires? Is that a problem with Skype any more, or did they get past that? And don't you pick up one hell of a static electric charge on a sky wire that long? Need any extra spark-gap discharge protection for it?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 13:14   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Munchi Mike.... you are not doing yourself any favours - you could easily be perceived as being overly aggressive even if that is not intentional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchi MIke View Post
No one is yelling or insulting but I can start if you want to pick a fight.
People who are wired to the max and up to date with all the technology are so smug about it all and sneer at those who ask. NOT welcome.
I asked a simple question and don't accept condescension or attitude as a reply.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 13:20   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Hear, hear, that lady! Well written.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
Then I'll answer "not possible" because your post is about internet over a copper phone line. Which is not really an option on a boat.

And since you're incredibly rude, I see no reason to provide you with any more helpful information about what IS available then you have already been given. You'd just find that condescending anyway since it involves explaining a few things you need to know.

(And this from someone on a very basic boat, not "wired to the max and up to date with all the technology" but enjoying a decent internet connection. In Europe.)
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 14:35   #41

Boat: 1984 Cal 31

Boy, the OP sure sounds like someone I would want to sail with...

Hey bro, slow your roll, the advice is free so it is kinda hard to get too upset. Plus, it isn't the rest of the internet's fault that you couldn't describe your requirement properly. Take it with a grin, rephrase, and move on.

Tankersteve
tankersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 14:50   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustermaw View Post
Or, the original Dorothy Parker version , " You can lead a whore to culture but you can't make them think
I'm yet to find a whore that doesn't drink.
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 15:39   #43

Easiest answer is to go eBay.co.uk, look for an Infinity Wireless Broadband dongle, which is open to all networks. Buy that. When in France, Italy, Spain etc. you will need to buy a Data sim to go into it. You can buy one and top it up...the top up for my UK one from 02 for example costs £25 for 6Gb. I also have a data sim for France, and they work fine on 3g and 4g. Great for surfing the net and e-mail but for vid downloads your credit will quickly run out, and the top up lasts for 1 month.

That's my answer, and if anyone doesn't like it, to keep the same tone as the rest of the posts...go take a long run off a short pier!
nebeluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2016, 00:09   #44

Boat: Nicholson 26
Send a message via Skype™ to nic26

You have a prob with your attitude and your brain.

We all will be very happy when you disappear and never come back. Maybe where you come from the technology is not so far developed that there is a difference between Internet, WIFI, cable and satellite and social skills are still on a niveau that people scream at each other when they mean to be friendly.

I can tell you its very different on this forum.
nic26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2016, 02:43   #45

Boat: FP Lipari 40' Catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Toys_with_time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchi MIke View Post
The title pretty much outlines my quest; how to and who to get for DSL while underway in the Med. My wife and I do a lot of work online and really need a good affordable way to continue our online activities unabated at mucho more than dial up speeds.
There are exorbitant units available but what is the going bare bones system that comes out most favoured? The area needed would be Europe / Med zones.Anyone?

There are really affordable plans available in Europe for peanuts, but as soon as a boat gets involved their prices go berzerk. So much that I'm considering installing a land unit with an inverter, but the dish, on the spreaders?!!
I have been sailing and working from my boat in the Med for the past 5 years. I have a non locked Huawei 3G wireless rechargeable modem (easy to buy anywhere) and I then buy a data sim in each country (from the largest service provider to get maximum coverage) and load it with the largest amount I can buy on a prepaid basis and where I can I also pre-buy additional data credits to load when I run out so I don't get caught out. France has been the only difficult country so far - they wanted a permanent address whereas everywhere else just wants to photocopy my passport. Where reception is not so good I put the modem in a waterproof bag and raise it to the top of the mast and that way can often get reception a long way from land although if the boat is bouncing around can get problematic as signal can fade in and out. Other problem seems to be tourist hot spots where I think the 3G network doesn't cope with the summer crowd loading but then I tend not to linger in those places anyway.

In addition to the 3G modem I have a USB wifi booster aerial (Wirie) - in port I identify the best signal from on board then for the price of a coffee or meal I get the password. They usually leave their wireless on all night and once the customers have gone the speed often increases dramatically which also suits communicating with Australia due to the time difference.

Have found very few Med marinas where wireless speeds have been good, except sometimes when they charge for it, although again after midnight and very early morning speeds can often be better. Explored the satellite route but to get a decent speed the prices were scary.

TwT

Tags
cruise, cruiser, satellite