Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2014, 02:16   #31

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates
Re: sailing qualifications

[QUOTE=svBeBe;1675030]USA documented boat with 2 Americans aboard.

Montenegro required captains licenses June 2014.

Croatia required captains licenses July 2014.

Italy required copies of captains licenses when cleared in at Manfredonia in September 2014.

And every one of those countries also required copy of our radio station license.

To muddy the waters even further in Montenegro the beaucrat wanted our capt's license but reluctantly took our asa book with the stamps in it. We had to go back with additional insurance as we had 500k usd and they require 1m euros. The port capt was in then and said something about the capt license and asked how we got here and we said sailed and he said across the atlantic and i said yes - 2 person crew - everything changed and we were welcomed in immediately

In Croatia checked in and was never asked for anything except insurance and boat papers

In Italy checked in and out 3 times and only once asked for license and when i said we did not have one skipped over it and went on.

No request for license in Portugal or Spain.

No request for license in Corsica which is kinda France.

In Albania only our boat papers and insurance and it all goes through an agent.

I think only Montenegro wanted our radio license.

So it is a real mixed bag. If i were to go to Montenegro again and the beaucrat was in and no license and said i would have to leave i would ask for the port captain and meet with him as he is big boat officer and understands.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2014, 10:24   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by svBeBe View Post
Maybe the reason some sailors do not want to obtain all the paperwork is the cost? The Radio Station Authorization issued by the FCC for American sailors costs $150, IIRC. Then the Restricted Operator license costs another $300 or so. Each good for 10 years and neither required within USA waters. I have no idea what the cost of the ICC issued by the Brits costs. Frankly, had no idea that they would issue one to Americans as we are not citizens of any EU country. That seems very strange. For a country to issue certification or licensing to a person who is not a citizen or even a resident of that country. Does the American need to travel to England in order to obtain this ICC? Very strange.

Judy
All these papers do start adding up. $100 here, $400 there and pretty soon you have spent some real money.

The ICC thing is a bit odd but just a couple of years ago the RYA in the UK started offering them for the underprivileged yanks who have no options at home. Here's a link for anyone that wants more information. How to apply for an ICC | The ICC and Proof of Competence Abroad | Boating Abroad | Information & Advice | RYA. The RYA website shows four training centers in the US so I'm guessing you could get the ICC before you cross.

As Dockhead pointed out, go out for a checkride with an instructor and you're certified (unless you completely foul it up ). Cost is only
£43 or free for RYA members (£43 to join)
Once you have the ICC you can then add the CEVNI. I would like to do some of the canals so that's on my list.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2014, 17:14   #33

Boat: between boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Why speculate and risk a hassle? It's not hard or expensive to put together a solid set of papers. You need:

1. ICC. Issued in all the treaty states, and the UK will issue to US, Canadian, and Antipodean sailors. It is a snap to get. You just get a brief assessment and they issue the paper.

2. Radiotelephone operator's license. For Yanks, this is done in two minutes online with no test.

3. Ship station's license. In the U.S. and U.K., it's done in two minutes online, and they mail it to you. FCC in the States and Ofcom in the UK. I expect it's similar in other countries.

4. Insurance.

5. And obviously, proper registration documents for the vessel.

Why faff around with it? It's dead simple. Why give some corrupt barsteward in Albania the chance to create problems for you?

-
Sorry this is just not accurate. Maybe in the UK its a "snap to get" elsewhere it is a money raising exercise for the professional instructors and time consuming. Here in Australia the RYA wants you to do a series of courses. Last time I checked costing approximately $1200.

can you imagine the outcry if a mandatory boating licence cost that much to obtain in the UK??

Since Im in the med and not UK getting the RYA assessment is not easy either. I believe it can be done in Spain but again at significant cost and time (unless your in that part of Spain)

In the end i didnt have the time or the inclination to spend that kind of dollars on a piece of paper - I mean thats not far off the cost of my new headsail -

Happily I have not needed it in 3 years so far including the "high risk" countries of croatia, montenegro etc.

Dont bother - sanity will prevail - thats been my experience
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2014, 01:35   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by nial View Post
What do US sailors do when they arrive in Europe .....

Drink a real good beer - and enjoy Europe
Tamako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2014, 01:51   #35

[QUOTE=Dockhead;1676705]

Why faff around with it? It's dead simple. Why give some corrupt barsteward in Albania the chance to create problems for you?

What in the world are you talking about. We had less hassel in Albania than anyplace. The officals were friendly, efficient and full of courtsey. So please!!!
Old 27-12-2014, 01:56   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamako View Post
Drink a real good beer - and enjoy Europe

Actually the wine is much better.
Old 27-12-2014, 02:01   #37

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
Actually the wine is much better.
Depends on where in europe you are.............................

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 23:27   #38

You need to register your boat in UK on the small ships register. You also need to have a VHF operators certificate if you have a radio - which you should have. If you go on inland waters in France you need a certificate of competence which you can get from the RYA - email them. Also carry an invoice for the boat to show that VAT has been paid at sometime. None of these things cost much.
penneyeugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2015, 10:18   #39

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey DS43

And be very kind and diplomatic with the port and costum authority in front of you regardless of age and level of experience because they are often left to themselves in interpreting their own rules. Diplomacy is quintessential and can get you out of trouble
Our experience!
Chalifour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 22:20   #40
DtM

Barra,

I bit the bullet in Sydney and got the ICC just to avoid hassle in Europe.

It cost $350 I think but maybe not even that much.

You can use your own boat. Takes half a day.

And truth be told I learned some stuff as well (even though I didn't think I would).
DtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 16:05   #41

Boat: between boats
Well if you learned some stuff then it was worth it ;_)

Certainly far better price than was indicated to me too so well done - did you have to be a member of something for that price?

Frabkly i would have to stay in the med for another 10 years for the time taken in dealing with the icc to add up to even half a day. It really is a non issue if your in your own Aussie flagged boat ( at least in my experience so far)
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 16:39   #42
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corbin 39
Re: Sailing qualifications

Its my understanding that you can automaticaly get the ICC with anything as low as the RYA Day Skipper course certificate, its free for RYA Members or if not you pay around 45 uk pounds! I found the best value RYA courses were in fact in Gibraltar, it was a shock to meet some guys who had flown in from New Zealand telling me the 14 week Yachtmaster course, worked out cheaper for them including flights to do in GIB than in their home country!
pablothesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 17:27   #43
DtM

When we first went to Europe on our Aussie flagged boat there was no issue with "qualifications" but it just seemed worth doing and certainly necessary if you want to charter in Europe ( as we have now our boat is at home in Sydney).

We got into a small issue in Corsica when our boat had not yet been put on the AMSA register because it had only just come off the French register. We could show at least that the application was pending by going to the AMSA website.

Like most things keep smiling and all will be well.
DtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 01:32   #44

Boat: Gib'Sea 352

I sail regularly in Greece. In theory, an ICC is required though I have never been asked to show it when sailing my own boat, only when chartering.
Old 04-02-2015, 03:11   #45

Hi Niall ,
Most of the information you will need has already been covered in other posts. However if you decide to complete the ICC as advised by other contributors you might find it useful to look up the following
For general information on the ICC try www.rya.org.uk
To arrange for an exam do a web search for Trafalgar sailing school which is an RYA sailing school based at Gibralta or a RYA approved school at Barcelona. Both of these you have to sail pas to enter the med so no need to head for the U.K.
Dave Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing