Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2022, 11:59   #1

Sailing around Palma de Mallorca

Hi All, we are chartering a 51' sailboat on the Island of Palma De Mallorca in late August and want to know if anyone has any advice about islands not to miss, ease of mooring and docking or any other advice that could be helpful to fairly new sailers. We are also using Sailcheckers.com. Reviews look pretty good but limited to the website they list on their website.
Thanks for any advice anyone can provide.
Ashtay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 11:59   #2
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Sailing around Palma de Mallorca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtay View Post
Hi All, we are chartering a 51' sailboat on the Island of Palma De Mallorca in late August and want to know if anyone has any advice about islands not to miss, ease of mooring and docking or any other advice that could be helpful to fairly new sailers. We are also using Sailcheckers.com. Reviews look pretty good but limited to the website they list on their website.

Thanks for any advice anyone can provide.

Bring plenty of money
Old 04-07-2022, 12:34   #3

Boat: Hanse 430e

Bring more money in August. And ear plugs for every bar next your mooring
Dogscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 12:45   #4

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

We did it 16 years ago, on a 7 day charter, anchoring only

Had no plans beforehand but had a blast
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 04:54   #5

You do not say if you have a Captain and crew who will have some very good ideas for your weeks sailing.If not there are plenty of pilot books on Palma and the Balearic islands and well worth investing in one for anchorages, as many are prohibited due to sea bed damage. Moorings are all stern to the dock.Try not to cover too much ground, or make it a must to go around the whole island.The south coast and Santa Ponsa area has some lovely anchorages. The east coast is fairly flat and nothing special, although there are some interesting small towns Puerta Cristo being one. The north coast has lovely beaches but open anchorages and the west coast is dramatic with cliffs and well worth seeing the Roman farming grounds edged out of the cliffs, but no anchorages. The town of Palma is well worth exploring and Friday night at 10.30 when the rose petals fall down from the ceiling at Ábaco is not to be missed. Cellar Supremsa is good for a spot of local cuisine and it is a good fun restaurant with plenty of atmosphere. The old town of Palma, is just to the right of the main street, and well worth exploring with its narrow streets.

https://bar-abaco.es/inicio/

www.cellarsapremsa.com
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 05:42   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Sailing around Palma de Mallorca

https://www.marina-balear.com/en/bay...%20the%20coast.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 14:54   #7

Boat: Jeanneau 49DS

There is a lot that I could write about sailing around Mallorca, but the points made about getting a good pilot book and a healthy credit card are critical.

If there were one place I would single out it is to sail to Cabrera. NB that you cannot just pitch up there. Go to this web site and follow the rules:

https://www.caib.es/rescab7front/?lang=en

Also understand that there is basically nothing there except nature and beauty. Bring your own provisions.

As for the sailing, my single bit of advice is to do your berthing in the early morning or late afternoon/evening. Unless you like making a spectacle of yourself as the wind takes you. Be prepared to have to push your stern into the berth to make room between the boats either side.
Alita49DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 16:18   #8

Usually the wind dies after about 8pm, making stern to docking easier.Not that the wind is that high, but any wind makes stern to docking a bit more difficult. Use plenty of fenders.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 16:58   #9

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

Hi. I based my boat on Mallorca for 12 years until 2010. By the way, Palma is the capital, Mallorca is the island. Late August - expect it to be hot, sticky, crowded & busy.
Marina berthing is end on - bows or stern to the concrete dock, picking up a lazyline from the dock which leads to a thicker rope which is attached underwater to a heavy ground chain running down between the marina aisles. Use a boathook for the lazyline or at least heavy gloves as it will commonly be encrusted with sharp broken shells. You may want to tie a warp onto the mooring ground line or use a snatch block to even up the tension on it each side of the boat to keep you straight in your berth.
Individual berths are numbered & delineated by dock bollards so you can see where the berths actually are. However as someone has alluded, in August you may well find that side winds & poor berthing techniques mean boats have pushed together - you may literally have to work your way slowly & persistently in between the 2 neighbouring boats to get up to the dock - you need to be well fendered of course.... I reckon its easier to do that bows first - especially on a modern boat - so you will need a gangplank to get over the pulpit & down to the dock. You wont want your boat to be too close to the dock in case of onshore winds bashing you against it - keep a good tension on the ground lines.
The marina staff - the marineros - are very happy to help you moor up. Call the marina as you approach & ask for assistance - they will cycle round to your berth & be there as you go in. If all is straightforward you dont need to tip them but if they help you out of a sticky situation, the price of a beer will be well received.

Stay cool, stay calm, take it easy. Its fun, honest...

From Palma, Andraitx in the west corner is well worth a visit. Cabrera definitely but only with a permit, although I'm not very familiar with the south east coast. If you have time to sail around the island, remember Port de Soller is the only port of refuge on the entire mountainous north west coast. The most scenic parts of Mallorca are in the north (Palma is in the south). Along the way going anti clockwise, Port de Colom, Cala d'Or, Porto Cristo, Cala Ratjada. Colonia de St Pere, Puerto d'Alcudia & Port de Pollensa are all ports with marinas - some more developed than others - & of course there are others. Also lots of calas (coves) where you can anchor overnight in settled weather. Port de Pollensa (the RNCPP has an outdoor pool available to visiting berth holders - Or even lunchtime diners in my experience. Actually so does botel alcudiamar by alcudia marina) & its bay is my favourite - but August would not be my favourite month there. You can anchor off on Pollensa Bay & Alcudia Bay in reasonably sheltered water. You will need to pick up a mooring in Formentor.
Going that way around a diversion to Minorca is easily possible, especially to Ciutadella on its west coast - You might not have time to get to Mahon.
Did I say it would be busy? Crowded, even? Great sailing though. Just be aware & make sure you have a good pilot book & read it. Gale force winds are unlikely in August - but like anywhere, not necessarily impossible. The tramuntana can spring up very quickly out of a clear blue sky & last for a couple of days - but probably wont happen - just dont be too complacent. Have a great trip.
In case you get into the mountains, say hello to my bench in Fornalutx, to Ramons Bar in Alcudia & to everyone at Bistro Mar in Alcudiamar. Or have lunch & a swim in a natural pool here: https://www.everythingmallorca.com/restaurants/es-guix/
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 00:43   #10

Boat: Jeanneau 49DS

To what Cliveon has helpfully written about lazy lines (the warps from the ground chain) I would add the following from years of experience: pulling them tight by hand, especially in August, is hard and sweaty work.
The sequence I use is
(1) go in astern. A 51ft Med boat you really, really want to avoid going in bows first if at all possible. They are designed to jump off the back and a charter boat is unlikely to have bow fittings for the paserelle.
(2) the marineros will take the stern lines. Bring them back to the boat to cleat off.
(3) The marineros will hand you the lazy lines for each side. Just get them on the bow cleats but don't bother to haul hard.
(4) slacken off the stern lines a good way.
(5) Now haul in the bow lines but it will be easy to get moderate tension.
(6) Motor back, having left it running, on the lazy lines using the power of the engine to get them tight.
(7) Retighten the stern lines.
(8) Congratulate yourself with a large drink.

I don't go to my boat in the Med in July or August now as I find it too hot and crowded but appreciate that others do not have the luxury of choice.

BTW The marina at Andraitx also has a pool. Along with an excellent, albeit not cheap, restaurant. Outside there you can anchor at St Elm which is by the Dragonera channel. From there, if you have time, you can go to Ibiza. A much, much prettier island than Minorca.
Alita49DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 07:38   #11
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Sailing around Palma de Mallorca

A tip about anchoring in Alcudia by the marina and other areas, there's a lot of weed which can cause problems however, there are scattered patches of clean sand so I always drop my hook in one of those..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing