Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2018, 11:10   #1

Safe and reliable winter lay-up on Sardinia or Corsica?

We are a Family doing only summer cruising. Until now, for six seasons, we have been in Greek waters only. Next year, however, we plan start moving westward. According to our cruising style, which implies more swimming and fishing than sailing, Sardinia or Corsica would, distance wise, be suitable places to stop and keep her for winter lay-up. As we have only 4 weeks of sailing every summer, we need to leave her in a marina or in a ship yard which in addition to keep her safe, can also make her ready for the next sailing season (anti fouling painting, annual engine service etc.). We are not looking for a coozy place to spend time since we intend only to leave her and pick her up again the next year, but rather a safe and reliable place.

Do anyone have some good experiences and want to share?
Anguillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 09:23   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Charter vessels!
Re: Safe and reliable winter lay-up on Sardinia or Corsica?

About 8 years ago I explored both Sardinia and Corsica over a 6 month period, and spent two winters in Sardinia. I wrote up the season's results on JimBsail.info: Cruising guide for Corsica, and Cruising Guide for Sardinia.

Since then, web site readers have kept me up to date!

JimB
jckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 10:40   #3

Boat: Sun Odyssey 32 & Bavaria 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anguillen View Post
We are a Family doing only summer cruising. Until now, for six seasons, we have been in Greek waters only. Next year, however, we plan start moving westward. According to our cruising style, which implies more swimming and fishing than sailing, Sardinia or Corsica would, distance wise, be suitable places to stop and keep her for winter lay-up. As we have only 4 weeks of sailing every summer, we need to leave her in a marina or in a ship yard which in addition to keep her safe, can also make her ready for the next sailing season (anti fouling painting, annual engine service etc.). We are not looking for a coozy place to spend time since we intend only to leave her and pick her up again the next year, but rather a safe and reliable place.

Do anyone have some good experiences and want to share?
Hi, we have been based in Porto Torres for two seasons. It is not a glamorous place, having quite a bit of industry, but is easily accessible particularly from Alghero airport, but also Olbia. We fly back out Wednesday to complete 5 weeks this summer.

Alternatively Castelsardo is probably the cheapest marina on Sardinia, but does have a waiting list. Isola Rosa marina also reasonably priced, but the as you get over to the North East coast, you move into mega rich territory.

Southern Corsica is easily accessible, and around the Maddalena Islands is definitely worth a visit, although Maddalena town is as expensive as Bonifacio. July was 70 euro per night for a 12m monohull.

Wherever you go am sure you will enjoy.
Twhitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:59   #4

Dear JCKB and Twhitt,

Thanks for Your replays, which I found most useful. I have started Reading at JimBsail, and I will for sure explore the Places and specific marinas that you suggested Twhitt.
I also did a Google Map survey all along the shore of Sardinia looking for travel lifts, and I found no less than 18 marinas or ship yards with travel lifts. Then I did not count places with mobile cranes or fixed cranes.

Anguillen
Anguillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 14:05   #5

Boat: Hanse 540e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anguillen View Post
Dear JCKB and Twhitt,

Thanks for Your replays, which I found most useful. I have started Reading at JimBsail, and I will for sure explore the Places and specific marinas that you suggested Twhitt.
I also did a Google Map survey all along the shore of Sardinia looking for travel lifts, and I found no less than 18 marinas or ship yards with travel lifts. Then I did not count places with mobile cranes or fixed cranes.

Anguillen
North Sardinia / Costa Smeralda marinas, although expensive in summer, have good offer for 10 months berths, from 1.9. to 30.6. Olbia or Portisco, both with on-site or nearby yards.
Old 03-10-2018, 14:27   #6

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

Kenomac is now cruising the Adriatic, but he laid up his old boat in Sardinia somewhere around Olbia for several years. If you are interested send him a pm.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2018, 12:51   #7

Boat: Bavaria 350, plus 5 boats for sailing school, and a Racing Laser
Send a message via Skype™ to bosco

Hi xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sardinia is great, l recomend Cagliari, 2 excellent marinas, also Arbatax, with a good marina. All 3 marinas are safe, berthing wet or dry,

Give me a yell on www. bosco@boscoyacht.ch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jckb View Post
About 8 years ago I explored both Sardinia and Corsica over a 6 month period, and spent two winters in Sardinia. I wrote up the season's results on JimBsail.info: Cruising guide for Corsica, and Cruising Guide for Sardinia.

Since then, web site readers have kept me up to date!

JimB
bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2018, 14:43   #8

Ironically, Bonifacio has great deals over the winter. One of the cheapest places in the area as there are very few permanent berth holders and it makes its money in summer from visitors.
Naughty Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2018, 14:53   #9

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Carloforte (west Sardinia) is nice, but transport is limited, though there are constant ferries to the mainland.

Propriano (Corsica) seemed ok for a basic Municipal marina, and a bit closer to Ajaccio for flights.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2018, 14:59   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Safe and reliable winter lay-up on Sardinia or Corsica?

Have a word with Kenomac.. he was based there for a few winters while he went Stateside.
Seemed very happy with where he stored the boat.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
Corsica