Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2014, 12:11   #16

Boat: Oyster 45
Re: Rias of Galicia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
Agreed with all said. The rias themselves are quite protected, but just outside it can be pretty snotty. So just 'cause you have a beautiful sail going inside doesn't mean it will be pleasant outside.

The biggest issue is getting there. Crossing Biscay can be quite challenging so be very patient waiting for a weather window to cross. Perhaps it would be better to coast hop down the French coast - others may comment, I haven't sailed there.

The seafood is excellent, the people are friendly, the waters protected.

Greg
We coast hoped all the way down and loved it. France is another one of those amazing cruising grounds you just have to sail.

Again the blogs/ photos are on our website
Old 10-02-2014, 12:19   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
+A1... its a great coastline with lovely people, the Galicians are distinctly different from the rest of Spain with their own traditions and lifestyles.. I love the area.
My favourite ports are Viveiro on the N coast and Baiona on the West.. but its all great cruising grounds..
Watch out for the sea fogs..
Hey Boaty,

I have heard Galicians referred to as Gallegos. Is that a polite term or something rude that might result in personal injury.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 12:30   #18
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Rias of Galicia

Gallego is the native tongue of the region.. more Portuguese than Catalan..
Franco tried in vain to kill it off for decades.. so I'd doubt they'd be offended by a name of proud defiance..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 12:34   #19

It is also the one place I have been where you can order a beer and they keep bringing you free local food!
Old 10-02-2014, 12:45   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Franco tried in vain to kill it off for decades.. so I'd doubt they'd be offended by a name of proud defiance..
Thanks. Will remember that next time I'm in that neighborhood.
Old 10-02-2014, 13:20   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostrodamus View Post
It is also the one place I have been where you can order a beer and they keep bringing you free local food!
Didn't get free food but some amazing tapas at the local tavernas. One place we stopped must have been the most popular place in town. At least 40-50 people crowding around a counter about 20' long with 4 guys behind it passing out plates and glasses faster that a Las Vegas dealer passing out cards.

The four of us worked our way up to the counter and ordered, 2 beers, 2 red wines, and an assortment of tapas. Got out my wallet but the guy waved me off and said pay when you're done. We finished the first round and went back for a couple more drinks and another 10-12 tapas. Finished that and went back a third time for a few more. The whole time people are coming in and out and shoveling down plates of tapas non stop. The kicker, there's not a pad or pencil to be found behind the counter. No one writing down anything.

So, time to go I again work through the crowd to the counter. wondering how this is going to work. I tell the guy we're done, he looks at me and proceeds to list exactly what we ordered, thought for a second and gave me the total which was of course right on. This guy by himself must have served at least 40-50 people in the hour we were there and everyone of them with a variety of tapas and a couple of drinks. One of the most amazing feats of memory I've ever personally witnessed.
Old 08-03-2014, 17:40   #22

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Yes you are right. Some more detail:

The Portuguese is directly derived from Galego with some Moorish influence from the South. In fact till the XV century the language was still basically the same and it was called Galaico-Portugues.

Galician-Portuguese - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gallegos is the name that they give to themselves, the natives of Galiza. By the way the culture of the Gallicia and Northwest of Portugal has a Celtic matrix. You only need to hear traditional music or look at the gold traditional jewelry to discover that.

Maui Celtic - Galicia, Galician History, A Galician resource on Maui, Hawaii

Gallego today is still very similar to Portuguese. Any Gallego understands Portuguese and any Portuguese understands Gallego.

Regarding the OP:

Don't miss the smaller Rias: Camarinas, Cee, Muros and the Islands of Ons and Cies. Baiona is great too.

A bit more to the South, already in Portugal don't miss Viana do Castelo.

Regarding wine, the right one is the traditional white, Albariño in Galicia, Alvarinho in Portugal, neither the Puplo à Gallega or Pimientos de padron.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 18:08   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post

The Portuguese is directly derived from Galego with some Moorish influence from the South. In fact till the XV century the language was still basically the same and it was called Galaico-Portugues.

Gallegos is the name that they give to themselves, the natives of Galiza. By the way the culture of the Gallicia and Northwest of Portugal has a Celtic matrix. You only need to hear traditional music or look at the gold traditional jewelry to discover that.

Gallego today is still very similar to Portuguese. Any Gallego understands Portuguese and any Portuguese understands Gallego.

Regarding the OP:

Don't miss the smaller Rias: Camarinas, Cee, Muros and the Islands of Ons and Cies. Baiona is great too.

Regarding wine, the right one is the traditional white, Albariño in Galicia, Alvarinho in Portugal, neither the Puplo à Gallega or Pimientos de padron.
Hi Polux,

All very interesting. Thanks for posting this.
Old 08-03-2014, 18:21   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Traveling on Business some years ago, I spent a few days farther east in San Sebastian. I thought it looked like a fine place to visit as well with a protected harbor. We also enjoyed the tapas there and all across the southern Pyrenees. Pamplona was especially a good time. There were open air markets in every little town with foods we'd never seen. I see on the maps that there is also an apparent good harbor just east at Pasaia.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 19:18   #25

Great place too but a completely different culture: Basque country.
The culture is so old that its is not known from where the language comes from.
They have a great maritime tradition.
Old 08-03-2014, 21:56   #26

Quote:

Regarding the OP:

There is also Varzim a little further down. Very very friendly and very cheap to go in the marina. In summer we were paying 8-10 euros with electricity and water for a 45 ft boat.
Old 08-03-2014, 21:59   #27

Quote:
Great place too but a completely different culture: Basque country.
The culture is so old that its is not known from where the language comes from.
They have a great maritime tradition.
Just have a look at the windows of the area which are very specific to the Galecian area.
They used to build their galleons there and modelled the windows on the ones they would put in the rear of the Spanish galleons. You will see them all over the area.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:54   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostrodamus View Post
There is also Varzim a little further down. Very very friendly and very cheap to go in the marina. In summer we were paying 8-10 euros with electricity and water for a 45 ft boat.
Yes, that is a nice marina even if the winter the shelter can be problematic and the town is nice but I was not talking about just nice but about really great

Take a look at Viana do Castelo:

Travel Photos From TrekEarth

If you co further South you have as a more interesting option than Varzim (even if the there is not properly a marina just a pontoon or anchoring on the river and I mean interesting just in what regards the town) you have Vila do Conde:

Vila do Conde Photos From TrekEarth - Photos of Vila do Conde, Portugal

Vila do Conde (and Varzim) have a fast Metro (train) connection to Porto and Porto old river town is classified as a World Heritage site. It was recently voted the best European touristic destination. If you prefer with one more sailing day Porto has now a new marina, on the other river shore (Gaia).

Old 09-03-2014, 14:00   #29

Quote:
Yes, that is a nice marina even if the winter the shelter can be problematic and the town is nice but I was not talking about just nice but about really great

Take a look at Viana do Castelo:

If you co further South you have as a more interesting option than Varzim (even if the there is not properly a marina just a pontoon or anchoring on the river and I mean interesting just in what regards the town) you have Vila do Conde:

Vila do Conde Photos From TrekEarth - Photos of Vila do Conde, Portugal

Vila do Conde (and Varzim) have a fast Metro (train) connection to Porto and Porto old river town is classified as a World Heritage site. It was recently voted the best European touristic destination. If you prefer with one more sailing day Porto has now a new marina, on the other river shore (Gaia).

We took the fast metro in from Varzim to porto. Cheap and quick.
Porto is a stunningly beautiful city but you have to visit the port houses for the free drink. We had to visit several. Purely research of course.