Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2006, 16:52   #16

Boat: Gib'Sea, 422, 42 ft, Erato
Send a message via Yahoo to skipperaris Send a message via Skype™ to skipperaris
Smiling

Thank you defjef.
In fact I consider it very important to get my clients to feel comfortable and confident. Today's day sailing crew for example were steering straight and tacking accurately almost from the word go. It is not surprising there were big smiles on their faces. Here is Maria for example in a healthy breeze.

skipperaris

web site
skipperaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 00:14   #17

Hello,

Agreat place to charter a yacht is right here in Corfu, Greece. And I represent a yach charter company and our prices are very inviting.and I must agree with skipperaris best time to set sail is April to October. One good thing is here in the Ionians we don't have winds and you could visit with your yacht many different Islands and the hospitality of the Greeks is the best. It will be unforgettable.One of the Islands you could visit with your yacht is Mathraki best kept secret in the world. And language is not a problem I'm a native New Yorker.
Maggie
http://users.forthnet.gr/ker/iontours
mago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 23:58   #18

COME TO GREECE

Hello I agree with Skipperaris. Next time make Greece your choice of destination and particularly the Ionian Islands it will be an unforgettable time. A good choice would be Corfu, I represent a yacht charter company here and best of all I'm a native New Yorker so english is nota problem.
Maggie
Old 10-08-2006, 00:00   #19

OOPS I'm really sorry I posted twice I don't know how I did that. I'm really sorry. That's what happens when you're knew.
Maggie
Old 20-08-2006, 08:11   #20

Greece or Turkey

For all the reasons already stated especially the friendly people & great atmosphere (Greece which I experienced several times & from what I hear from others on Turkey)

English - not a problem............young people are multi-lingual as are many middle aged people.............some older people in small shops may not be but are still friendly.

Greece sailing area is very large & varied.............so once you decide how long you will charter..............study Moorings / Sunsail / other Charter cos web sites or tourist books to learn about what each area has to offer...............then pick your charter co / base

Fun to enter a new harbor right in the middle of town & relax with a delicious meal in a taverna taking in all the sights & sounds

Great Cruising Guide = http://www.mdnautical.com/imray/ii-gwp.htm

Best time - July & Aug are big vacation months for europeans so it's more crowded.................after 9/15 is better .

Winds - does vary but hey sailors like wind right?

Turkey - very similar except smaller overall area & drier landscape compared to Northern / Western Greece
Chuteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2006, 11:47   #21

Boat: feeling kerie 10:40
Send a message via AIM to uncle_fred Send a message via MSN to uncle_fred Send a message via Yahoo to uncle_fred Send a message via Skype™ to uncle_fred
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagman
If the Balearics is your final choice you may also wish to check out rates with Alboran Charters based from Palma - Mallorca. It's only 20 minutes by cab from the airport.

I've no connections other than stopping over at their marina for the winter but they have a mixture of modern and not so modern 38 - 44 footers and I suspect could be better value than Sunsail. If it were me I'd insist on one of the most modern yachts.

They also operate the franchise for Moorings - but all all those yachts are looking pretty tired.

The guy who owns the company speaks good English - Fernando - www.alboran-charter.com.

Cheers
JOHN
living in mallorca you have somany charter companies the prices are all very different but there are some good companies with good prices if you need any more info be pleased to help you if i can
Old 22-08-2006, 23:46   #22

Greece ! Greece! All the way!!!!
Maggie
http://users.forthnet.gr/ker4/iontours
Old 22-08-2006, 23:48   #23

Sorry

My signature is incorrect
here it is again
I'm still learning!!!
Old 29-08-2006, 01:49   #24

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Balanced View

Quote:
Originally Posted by mago
Greece ! Greece! All the way!!!!
Maggie
http://users.forthnet.gr/ker4/iontours
Greece is lovely - pretty - lots of islands - clean seas. But horrible food and wine (sorry sad but true)!
France / Corsica are lovely - food and wine excellent - but more expensive.
Italy / Sardinia / Siciy are lovely. Food and wine possibly best - but certainly can be crowded and definately not cheap.
Balearica are lovely - more crowded but food and wine good - and more expensive than France.
Turkey is lovely - stunning coastline and IMHO possibly emptiest anchorages of all above - plus food and wine are good - and its alongside Greece for lowest costs.
JOHN
Old 29-08-2006, 03:42   #25

Send a message via Yahoo to skipperaris Send a message via Skype™ to skipperaris
Greek food and wine

Everyone is entitled to their opinion Swagman and I respect yours.
But I cannot help wondering where you ate and drank ...

Although I have heard criticism against my country, the consensus of opinion on Greek food and wine is extremely positive.

I offer food to my clients daily and I only hear praise for local produce.
Greek meat, fish, vegetables and fruit is still 'real'. Tomatoes for example don't just look like tomatoes. They taste like tomatoes!

In my experience - I often travel round the Med - this is not the case with French and Italian tomatoes, except perhaps the ones you can still find on Sicily and the Aeolian islands, if you look.

And have you ever eaten skaros - a fish found in Greek waters and celebrated since ancient times? The roman emperors would have them brought for their banquets from Crete.

As for the wine, it has been produced since the dawn of history in Greece and there is a tremendous variety of really good wine.

Have you ever drank wine from Crete, Nemea, Paros, Ikaria, Samos, to mention just a few?

It is true that there is also cheap wine which is produced for the kind of tourists who are more interested in getting drunk than in enjoying wine. I would not touch that.

Likewise there are tourist-trap-restaurants that serve what they think tourists like, i.e. Greek food modified for the tourists with wine to match.

From your comments I must conclude you have fallen victim of these.

Next time you are in Greece try going to where the locals eat and drink. You may well change your mind about Greek food and wine.

There is a lot that could be improved in Greece but there is not a lot you could wish for in the quality of food and drink.

Aris

skipperaris

web site
Old 29-08-2006, 05:00   #26

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Hi Guys,

Sorry - did not mean to offend.

You don't need to wonder where we've eaten, its been in all standards of restaurants and paying all levels of prices in all the countries listed over many visits in past and current years.

Greece is a fabulously welcoming country with a huge amount to offer - but I think it is best to focus on what is superb and world class and be honest with the other aspects, rather than try and infer everythink is wonderful and can't be improved.

Cheers
JOHN
Old 29-08-2006, 16:48   #27

Your last posting sounds like damning with faint praise, Swagman.
You say:

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagman
Greece is a fabulously welcoming country with a huge amount to offer - but I think it is best to focus on what is superb and world class and be honest with the other aspects, rather than try and infer everythink is wonderful and can't be improved.
I am all for honesty Swagman and I regret to find your last comment lacking in this quality when you imply that Greek food and wine is less than superb and world class. Greek food and wine has been described by Homer in mouth watering terms and it is still essentially the same. That alone brings it to world class.

In fact it is above that, it is unique.

How else could one explain the fact that in all major cities in the world there is a popular Greek restaurant?

Like I said in my previous post I accept that perhaps your opinion is based on your personal experience if you have not chosen very well where to eat and drink in Greece. There are tourist traps in all tourist countries including Greece.

Alternately I am also prepared to accept that as a personal choice you may prefer fish'n'chips to souvlaki but that does not make souvlaki and whatever else you ate horrible.

Maybe you should just try some real Greek food. Start with a Greek salad and tzatziki.

With yummy greetings,

Aris

skipperaris

web site
Old 30-08-2006, 01:40   #28

Hi Guys,

Again - I repeat my desire was not to be offensive but simply accurate.

You said:
I am all for honesty Swagman and I regret to find your last comment lacking in this quality when you imply that Greek food and wine is less than superb and world class. Greek food and wine has been described by Homer in mouth watering terms and it is still essentially the same. That alone brings it to world class.

I say: Indeed by the standards of the day Homer may have found his food OK. I'm not too sure in his day how good it was in Italy or France or elsewhere. And with respect - maybe he didn't either.

You say: In fact it is above that, it is unique.

How else could one explain the fact that in all major cities in the world there is a popular Greek restaurant?

I say: I believe the national Greek dishes have provided Greek nationals and opportunity to open restaurants providing something different to what was may have been available locally - but that hardly means the quality of what may be served is of a 'world class' standard.

You say: Like I said in my previous post I accept that perhaps your opinion is based on your personal experience if you have not chosen very well where to eat and drink in Greece. There are tourist traps in all tourist countries including Greece.

I say: Please do not accept that - as my views are not only my own. Perhaps read some international food critics - or read some Cruising guides to see what others think also.

You say: Alternately I am also prepared to accept that as a personal choice you may prefer fish'n'chips to souvlaki but that does not make souvlaki and whatever else you ate horrible.

I say: I apologise for using the word horrible - my mistake. But whilst I can enjoy fish and chips just as much as I can enjoy souvlaki, I can also compare the quality of what I eat. IMHO the majority of food products, be they meat, fish or even salads, are not delivered to the same standard in Greece as they can be delivered elsewhere.

You say: Maybe you should just try some real Greek food. Start with a Greek salad and tzatziki.

I say: I have many times. Indeed a 'Greek salad' forms the base of my diet when in Greece and tzatziki and or humus are a favorite. But not everyday, lunch and dinner, for a month.

I suggest we let this go. I doubt if I can convince you of my views, and you definitely can't convince me of yours - and I suspect this is rather boring to other forum users and way off the sailing subjects.

Peace.

JOHN
Old 30-08-2006, 02:37   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
In case anyone was wondering - my mom is a better cook than your mom, and red is a prettier colour than green!

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2006, 03:04   #30

Wise words Gord - you are right on all counts.
JOHN