Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2016, 10:12   #1

Provisioning in Finland

Hi:

I am US-based but taking delivery of a sail boat in Finland in the spring. I need to provision a "boat load" of stuff including safety equipment (life raft, etc.), galley supplies (pots, pans, dishes, etc.), and soft goods (sheets and towels). Can any of you sailors in the EU suggest suppliers in these categories? I would want to buy online and ship directly to the marina in Finland. I have a customs agent and since I will be sailing to the US, expect everything will be VAT exempt.

Thanks

Dave
Daverome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 10:51   #2

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)
Re: Provisioning in Finland

provisioning
In english: LILJEFORS
Ab ME Group Oy Ltd – Company
Boat stuff..
Venetarvikkeet verkosta | MaritimShops - Helsinki
A German shop I think is cheaper..
https://www.svb24.com/

BR Teddy
TeddyDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 11:46   #3

Quote:
I need to provision a "boat load" of stuff including safety equipment (life raft, etc.), galley supplies (pots, pans, dishes, etc.), and soft goods (sheets and towels) .... I have a customs agent and since I will be sailing to the US, expect everything will be VAT exempt.
Check with your customs agent but you won't get the items shipped without VAT paid (unless 'the receiver in Finland' is a company with a valid VAT number), maybe there is a way to claim it back 'on the moveable things' (but I doubt).

Carsten
CarstenWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 11:50   #4

I have a "receiver" in Finland that works with the boat builder. I just sent an SSB radio for installation, so we shall see if it all works as explained. That is small potatoes compared to sails which get shipped early next year.
Old 02-11-2016, 13:45   #5

https://www.vero.fi/en-US
Tax legislation and stuff in Finland about exports etc..

BR Teddy
Old 02-11-2016, 21:18   #6

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

Hi Dave, welcome to the forum.
With a 24% Value Added Tax (ALV - arvonlisävero) I would plan to minimize that burden. Are you buying a new or used boat? If new I think the yard should be able to manage all the tax issues for you but it sounds like you are getting a pre-owned boat? Where in Finland is your marina? Has your customs agent adviced you that you can indeed get your supplies VAT exempt? As you may have noticed from my name I'm of finnish origin, just not in there now, but I may be able to help you somewhat with some info if you tell us more.
best regards,
Erik
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 23:02   #7

Eric:

Is a new Swan 54. They have a receiver agent, so I think I need suppliers who can provide all the stuff I'll need by June 1.

Dave
Old 03-11-2016, 00:36   #8

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

I suggest the yard/boat maker may directly install and putchase on your (owner's) account free of VAT, given that the boat is due to export to a non-EU country.
I mean fixed gear.
For movable/disposable/personal objects it is surely harder. Everything should be listed, inspected, and managed through an export agent (yard can help you better than anyone here, i deem).

Yes, vat is the winter of our discontent, here... pervasive indirect taxation applied even to import from non-EU areas (oil first!... where is the added value there??). Miserable!
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 01:11   #9

Boat: Sandibar 35

Pleasure boating is a big industry in Finland and I would assume you will be able to get most of the stuff you need here, without ordering from abroad, making it easier to handle VAT issues. Maritim, which was mentioned in an earlier post is one of the biggest local operators and I'm sure they would be cooperative with outfitting a Swan 54. They can also probably work out tax issues directly with your agent/yard here, like Erik suggested. The e-shop is not very user friendly and prices are negotiable - I would just send them a list of what's needed for a quotation.

German SVB has great service and a much more attractive online presence in my experience, but that experience absolutely does not include provisioning a new Swan . I'd assume there is also an added level of complication to the VAT issue compared to a local.
Sandibar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 02:25   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Dave.
Congrats on your new boat!

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 08:00   #11

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

Dave,
congratulations on your new Swan, great choice!
Good advice above, but let me add a few thoughts.

First, I would ask your Nautor contact person if they can do for you what you are after. They have demanding clients from all over the world with unusual requests and wishes and are experienced in doing what they do and making the customers happy.

If for some reason you wish to explore other alternatives I think the Maritim advice above is a good one for the yacht gear, they are over 100 years old company and I recall the customer service is not too bad. Maybe not the cheapest option but I would value the time saved and the assurance that your business will be dealt smoothly over some minor monetary savings.

Regarding the galley supplies and soft goods I would check out the Stockmann department store in the Helsinki city center. Stockmann is known for premier quality products and good service and the company has been in business for over 150 years. They have online sales also but I'm not sure if you'd have to talk with them direct to get tax-free purchases. I attach a few links. If you are interested in high end designer crockery products then there are some small but pricey shops 3 minutes walk away on the Pohjoisesplanadi street. But Stockmann should be quite ok also. If you have the opportunity to visit Helsinki I would check these ones out spend a day or two shopping and sightseeing in Helsinki

Somehow I feel that you may not be so interested in the local Wallmarts for shopping for you new Swan, so I'm not including any suggestions about those ones..

I used to live about 20 minutes drive away from Nautor in Jacobstad-Pietarsaari. Only few medium level department stores in that part of the country. Sure you can get basic cups and plates but not so fit for a new Swan..

Visit Helsinki : City of Helsinki’s official website for tourism and travel information |

Stockmann Department store | Visit Helsinki : City of Helsinki’s official website for tourism and travel information

https://stockmann.com/fi/CustomerSer...ockmannInBrief

Any questions please feel free to ask.

Best regards,

Erik
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 12:19   #12

Thanks for all the advice. Yes, Swan will buy anything; however, it is nice to pick out some items on your own. Since I have to travel through Helsinki, I may avail myself of that area to pick up soft goods, galley materials, etc.

Dave
Old 04-11-2016, 12:24   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikFinn View Post
They have online sales also but I'm not sure if you'd have to talk with them direct to get tax-free purchases..
https://stockmann.com/docs/pub/10202...f/TaxFree.html

Tags
Finland, provisioning