Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2018, 08:20   #1

Boat: Morgan, center cockpit sloop, 44 - Enough
Propane adapter for Europe

I have seen an Internet article on a private web site for S/V Whoosh where a 2003 update mention some “stumbling” over an adapter on EBay to fill US propane tanks from Autogaz fill stations for cars.

Does anyone have any information about this or on filling US propane tanks in Ireland?
SV Enough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 14:46   #2

Re: Propane adapter for Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Enough View Post
I have seen an Internet article on a private web site for S/V Whoosh where a 2003 update mention some “stumbling” over an adapter on EBay to fill US propane tanks from Autogaz fill stations for cars.

Does anyone have any information about this or on filling US propane tanks in Ireland?
The article is "2009 Update: Here's information on another way to refill North American LPG tanks in England, sent to us from folks currently visiting Britain aboard a USA sailboat. Since LPG on their boat is used by both the stove and the refrigerator, they go through a LOT of LPG...and they preferred not to use British LPG tanks as filling could become a part-time job.

"Eventually we stumbled across a pretty nifty adaptor, and we can now fill our propane tank at any Auto-gas filling pump (most towns of any size seem to have at least one petrol station with an AutoGas dispenser. It is easy and cheap too. We got the adaptor from an EBAY provider - and it connects to our US POL tank fitting - leaving a free UK AutoGas fitting to load up with at the pump.

Unfortunately the Autogas fitting is NOT standard throughout Europe, but we will simply get another adaptor when we move the boat to France. Another possible downside is that the fill may not be 100% propane but a mix of propane/butane - I've been unable to find any real facts here.

As LPG powered cars are becoming more common, the filling stations too will be easier to find.

Thanks again for the most helpful web site.

Maryanne
SV Footprint"
Old 04-01-2018, 15:55   #3

I just came across this http://www.lpgadapter.com/pol-acme-f...ates-australia
Old 04-01-2018, 18:39   #4

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah

Jack or Patricia (from Whoosh) might see this thread and be able to provide info on the adapter mentioned in the article. However, I believe they were back in the USA getting ready to cross the Pacific when they made that update. So they likely have no further info on the adapter other than what was provided in the email they received and published on the website.
In Portugal and Spain I could get my NA tanks filled at the Autogaz stations, but only if I went through a marine service provider (Marina, boatyard, etc.). As far as I could tell the Autogaz pumps were compatible with my POL fitted tanks, but I could not get the stations to fill my tanks except through a local marine business. For most of the time In Portugal and Spain I used the Trident adapters for CampingGaz bottles (available at all marinas) described in Jack's article. Of course that info is not of much help for your question about cruising in Ireland.

John
jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 19:30   #5

Boat: Able 50

Every gas station propane pump in Europe will only have one of four valves so your worst result is buying four adapters. They are easy to get because RV people use them too.

Gas stations fill at a higher pressure than is safe for your boat's propane tank so you must know your volumes. Don't put any more than 15 liters into a 20 lb US tank or 7.5 liters into a 10 lb tank.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 20:52   #6

Boat: Amel 50

THANK YOU for the info!

I ordered a set for my future Euro propane tanks.

Euro W LHT 21.8 to ACME, Dish, Spain, Bayonet LPG Propane Bottle filling adapter - LPG gas propane filling adapter for autogas stations
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 00:23   #7

Boat: Able 50

Just making sure that you understand that the base tank for this kit has to be Euro not US or Australian.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 00:56   #8

Boat: Amel 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
Just making sure that you understand that the base tank for this kit has to be Euro not US or Australian.
I believe I have the right kit. I'm getting a European boat with European tanks. Thanks for pointing it out.
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 01:18   #9

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

There are special tanks that are allowed to be re-filled by the regular user at gas stations using the right adapters. They have a internal fill-stop valve that prevents over-filling above 80% and must be filled upright.

Filling of regular gas bottles / tanks on fuel stations using adapters is illegal / prohibited by law. Filling those must be done on a scale to prevent over-filling and by an professional, otherwise this container can blow the security vent and cause explosions / serious injuries and no insurance company will pay for the mess. They are usually exchanged at the stores, you return the empty bottle and get a new full one. That ensures, the bottles are checked and properly filled by the professionals only.

So just don't do this!

Here is one of this: Safefill | De veiligste gasfles or this : https://www.ebay.de/i/222561149551

Also keep in mind, that the blue campinggaz bottels are BUTANE only and under no circumstances shall be filled with PROPANE.
Butane has a higher density, higher evaporation temperature and a much lower pressure, this bottles are not made for the higher propane pressure. They are also only exchanged empty for full and not refilled anywhere at a propane filling station.
CatNewBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 01:30   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

When you say European tanks do you have a picture of them? Are you aware that most butane (blue) and propane (red) tanks are "rented" rather than owned. In other words you take the empty tank along and swop it for a full tank. There are thousands or retailers in the UK that offer this service normally near their customers like camp sites, marinas and boatyards.

Below is a map of LPG Petrol stations in the Solent area. Whilst there are a few, you will need a taxi to reach them and the driver may not be too keen to transport your gas cylinders, full or empty plus the petrol station may have "kittens" if they see you filling portable gas cylinders. Most only allow you to fill 5L petrol tanks rather than larger more common 20L tanks for example. There used to be LPG filling stations in the UK when Honda produced LPG conversions for their outboard engines, they have all gone due to lack of demand.

Post a picture of the tanks and we can let you know what the score is. Camping Gaz and Calor have the market tied up in the UK. Camping Gaz (blue) the most common across Europe.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LPG.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	161589  
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 01:46   #11

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
When you say European tanks do you have a picture of them? Are you aware that most butane pr propane tanks are "rented" rather than owned. In other words you take the empty tank along and swop it for a full tank. There are thousands or retailers in the UK that offer this service normally near their customers like camp sites, marinas and boatyards.

Below is a map of LPG stations in the Solent area. Whilst there are a few, you will need a taxi to reach them and the driver may not be too keen to transport your gas cylinders, full or empty plus the petrol station may have "kittens" if they see you filling portable gas cylinders. Most only allow you to fill 5L petrol tanks rather than larger more common 20L tanks for example. There used to be LPG filling stations in the UK when Honda produced LPG conversions for their outboard engines, they have all gone due to lack of demand.

Post a picture of the tanks and we can let you know what the score is.

Pete
Unfortunately there is no such thing "European tank".

Each country in Europe has it's own regulations. in Germany there are 3 types of tanks available.

There are GREY tanks, they are owned by the user. you buy one full, and it is yours. To re-fill you exchange it empty for full and pay every time a "checking fee" of one Euro when exchanging. So technically the bottle is yours, but physically you get another checked refilled bottle of the same type. A specialty are the grey aluminum bottles, they are also owners bottles. There usually are 5kg and 11kg bottles available, also some smaller 3kg. NO REFUND, it's yours, cannot be returned.

The second type are rented bottles. In Germany they are red (Tyczka) or green (from various companies) also in several sizes 5kg, 8kg, 11kg, 33kg... You return the bottle and get a re-filled one, NO checking fee, because the owner has to make sure they are checked, and you get your deposit back when returning without exchange. Some renting companies require the invoice as proof of ownership before refund.

The 3rd is CampingGaz Butane, its available at many stores, its a owners bottle, you can exhange empty for full, but no refund for empty.

And of course there are also the small one-way containers.

Butane:

CatNewBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 01:55   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
Unfortunately there is no such thing "European tank".
Yes I know that, which is why I asked for a picture so we can see what make of tanks are on the boat. Hopefully they are Camping Gaz rather than some obscure make.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 03:30   #13

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Camping Gaz is the only one that you can get anywhere, but they are expensive. Consider that it costs around €10 to fill a 2.75kg Camping Gaz bottle, where as in Spain a 13kg Repsol bottle replacement (you swap them out) costs €16.

In some countries even you present your bottle with a working adapter they will not fill it.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 03:54   #14
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Yes I know that, which is why I asked for a picture so we can see what make of tanks are on the boat. Hopefully they are Camping Gaz rather than some obscure make.

Pete
Last time I was in the Canaries even different islands used different bottles!

Now I have a set of these - If you can't find anyone to fill your bottle then borrow a local one and decant from it into your own. Paid for itself in a month or so in London where the only gas available locally was camping gaz at over 20 quid a go!

Yet to meet anyone who uses autogas.

https://www.socal.co.uk/toolbox/gasb...aptor-kit.html
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 03:57   #15

Boat: Custom 55

I'm not sure about Ireland, but in England the orange Calorgas propane bottles swapped out perfectly with our American bottles. That was a nice surprise! I think I remember seeing them in Ireland too.

We still haven't figured out what we'll do now that we're further south.

But, if the orange bottles are available in Ireland, grab one and give it a try...

Tags
Europe, propane, rope