Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: What places are suitable for outdoor adventure?
costa del sol 2 25.00%
ibiza beach 6 75.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2007, 19:28   #1

Places for cruising

Does anybody here have experience on crusing at Europe, particularly in Spain? What locations are suitable for diving, cruising and other outdoor activity? I have scrolled some sites in Spain, but I still want for other opinion... The choices above {poll} are some of my lists.
kayeiamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2007, 03:13   #2

Boat: Southerly UK 37ft
the best are the Baleric Islands, Mallorca, Minorca and Formantra!

migot1
migot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2007, 05:54   #3

Boat: Olympic 23 "Oddyssea"

i say costa, of course. but that all depends on what you consider "outdoor adventure". ibiza has a certain reputation at night, now doesn't it?
Old 20-08-2007, 06:08   #4

Boat: Van de Stadt 34'
I've skippered a friends annual charter in the Med for the last 9 years, and we always chose the Balearics over coastal Spain - the calas of Ibiza and Eastern Majorca, as well as Southern Menorca offer great variety. Formentera and it's neighbouring (uninhabited) Espalmador are stunning and run many dive schools so I assume diving's good there. On Ibiza be sure to visit Portinatx and Cala San Miguel - very sedate, of course all the action you want is in San Antonio - but for cruising with the variety you seem to want - definelty the Balearics . . .
mickmul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2007, 02:17   #5

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
I'd back up what others have said. For water clarity Formentera is IMHO the best of the Balearics. We spent all summer cruising there in 2004, so have more info and pictures way back in our blog if you want to look.
Hope they may be useful.
Cheers
JOHN
Old 30-08-2007, 05:01   #6

I lived and cruised a bit in the Canaries. There are very different islands offering very interesting experiences ashore. Not the greatest snug harbors by any stretch of the imagination... mostly man made with stone jetties.

It's definitely a place to visit.

jef
sv shiva
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2007, 05:42   #7

Boat: Southerly UK 37ft
...the most interesting places nowadays are the islands in the Med. especialy the Baleric and the gREEK islands . there are 300 islands in Greece...most of them empty, with beautiful coves, full of history , close to each other-only 4 to 5 hours sailing from island to island. in Spain Formantera is my choice. there is a hot spring for free at a walking distance from the bay!
migot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2007, 07:34   #8

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Hi Ho,
Just re-read your orginal question and if it's an anywhere in Europe question for diving, cruising, and varied outdoor stuff - suggest you look harder at Croatia.
Having just spent a month and only just touching a few of their 1,700 islands, I can vouch for water clarity, cleanliness, and an abundance of secured anchorages. Truly far far ahead of waters in Greece, Turkey or Balearics - simply because there is less sand and more islands per sailor (if you understand what I mean).
Cheers
JOHN
Old 08-11-2007, 07:32   #9

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 311
Espalmador was my favourite anchorage, but that was 30 years ago and we could be alone there apart from the busyest season.

I am not sure I want to go back now, as there seem to be so many bareboats in the Balearics these days. I would love to hear if it is still alright out of the main holiday time. Is it still uninhabited?

We once spent a day burning all the plastic and rubbish washed up on the island. Horrible black smoke it made too.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
JamesFrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 08:29   #10

Talking

Yes James, It's still uninhabited, but only if you discount visiting yachts and shore parties - it's quite a popular place for overnighting now. Still worth visiting though - I'm one of those bareboat guys - still rooted to work and kids ed . . someday I'll be there on my own boat though . . for now . . best of both worlds, charter and explore for a week, rest of the year at home in the amazing cruising grounds of west Cork!
Old 08-11-2007, 08:50   #11

Hi mickmul, I do hope you didn't think I was prejudiced about charterers, because that is not the case at all. I was just imagining the sheer volume of boats that seem to be in Balearic marinas now. I can imagine some of the anchorages getting too busy.

We went to another old favourite, Port Man on Port Cros island, quite recently in August. There was constant danger from boats anchored on top of you and we like a decent night's sleep.

I had a favourite place in Ireland too, but not by sea. Waterville on the west coast.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 08-11-2007, 09:04   #12

Boat: Broadblue 385, called Troutbridge
Send a message via Skype™ to Troutbridge
Hoping to get to Cork next year on my way south from the Channel Isles:_well, it makes sense to me
Troutbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 09:09   #13

No probs James, know exactly what you mean! The only Waterville I know is in west Kerry, on the Ring of Kerry, and overlooks the water . . is it the same place? By the way, there's now very good marina facilities at Lawrence's Cove on Bere Island, and at Sherkin island off Baltimore (Ireland not Maryland). Aoid San Atonio in Ibiza - much has changed there since your last cruising times!! Portinatz or Cala San Miguel still great to visit, and Espujols on Formentera if you want to avoid the marina in La Sabina . .
Old 08-11-2007, 10:58   #14

mickmul, yes that is my Waterville, where I spent many happy holidays.

San Antonio was always strange. I took some guests who were good business customers of mine with their small children there. We went ashore for the evening and the Spanish waiter in the bar we chose said 'Now then what you f---ers want to drink then.

I guess he was learning to speak English.

We did enjoy hippy watching in Ibiza town though. One night there was a really strange looking lot in the streets and we later heard it was the night of the transvestites ball.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 09-11-2007, 01:34   #15

In Ibiza town there's a strange looking lot in the streets every night! Great buzz though, very bohemian . . and the eye candy!! . . . Anyway, I think you'll find more overcrowding issues ashore than you will on the water - all the islands except Formentera and Espalmador are crammed with tourists. Off season is obviously way quieter . . . .