Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2019, 03:43   #1
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018
New taxes in Greece

Every year Greece announce some new taxes for foreign flag boats but so far non of them have ever been applied. This time it looks like they are serious.. Attached is the announcement that we received from our chamber of maritime commerce.
FYI

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Yunan adaları.jpg
Views:	1075
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	188316  
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2019, 05:05   #2

Re: New taxes in Greece

I read about it on Noonsite: https://www.noonsite.com/Countries/G...s-and-counting
AlfaGTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2019, 14:56   #3
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Seems more than reasonable.

I bet costs them more to administer than they collect.

But jobs for the boys I suppose
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2019, 02:22   #4

Boat: Jenneau 45.2

I return to Greece this Fri 23/03 and dreading going to the port police.☹️

If the Greek authorities had any commercial sense they could easily collect their much needed revenue in a better way.

Greek waters are full of boats that are FULL OF PEOPLE.

Charging a boat with two people on board a large amount of money whilst yachts and catamarans are cruising around with 8/12 people on board is a nonsense.

A web site for registration per person for a one or twelve month period could easily be set up. Owners and charter companies should then be responsible to ensure the “Cruissing Tax” has been paid.

Far more income raised and at less expense to all.
Jenneau Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2019, 02:32   #5
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

More here >

Greek Cruising Tax update from the CA - Page 42
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2019, 10:23   #6

Boat: Pearson 10M

the tax can be paid online.
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2019, 10:31   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

In fact it is said that the best choice would be to leave the Med as soon as possible.
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2019, 10:40   #8

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyrj33 View Post
the tax can be paid online.
Actually as it stands right now no it can't. The process looks like it will be a clusterxxxx with several trips between Port Police and Banks with handwritten receipts and documentation.

If it were an online system it wouldn't be so bad but unless you are in country before 12th April expect a fine for late payment. Although I suspect the majority of the PP will "strike" and not administer the system fully.

The UK Cruising Association along with several other national sailing organisations (notably the Germans) are still campaigning to the Greek Authorities for a sensible and fair approach to the issue, not least of which the massive jump in fess due from 11.99m to 12.01m. I fully expect it to be a legality from April but I also suspect there will be a great deal of confusion, leeway and rule bending in the first year at least.

I for one have zero problem with a sovereign state applying any such fees or taxation to provide financial support to their economy and infrastructure. It's not the cruising tax I have an issue with but the manner in which it is being applied, calculated and collected.

Efcharistos

Keiron
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2019, 15:58   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas_1611 View Post
Actually as it stands right now no it can't. The process looks like it will be a clusterxxxx with several trips between Port Police and Banks with handwritten receipts and documentation.

If it were an online system it wouldn't be so bad but unless you are in country before 12th April expect a fine for late payment. Although I suspect the majority of the PP will "strike" and not administer the system fully.

The UK Cruising Association along with several other national sailing organisations (notably the Germans) are still campaigning to the Greek Authorities for a sensible and fair approach to the issue, not least of which the massive jump in fess due from 11.99m to 12.01m. I fully expect it to be a legality from April but I also suspect there will be a great deal of confusion, leeway and rule bending in the first year at least.

I for one have zero problem with a sovereign state applying any such fees or taxation to provide financial support to their economy and infrastructure. It's not the cruising tax I have an issue with but the manner in which it is being applied, calculated and collected.

Efcharistos

Keiron
it would be far better organised if the tax was just collected direct in germany as a portion of their EU debt repayment and cut out the middleman
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2019, 16:09   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
it would be far better organised if the tax was just collected direct in germany as a portion of their EU debt repayment and cut out the middleman
I think that the tax was collected in Germany, in advance when (I think it was about 1953) Greece forgave Germany the war restoration payments that had been agreed!
MikeDofFreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2019, 20:05   #11
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

and he shoots. . . and SCORES!!

ding ding ding!
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2019, 20:10   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeDofFreo View Post
I think that the tax was collected in Germany, in advance when (I think it was about 1953) Greece forgave Germany the war restoration payments that had been agreed!
no that was the repayment to greece by the germans for reparations incurred during the 2nd world war which was never totally paid back with a shortfall of about 290 billion euros.

namely when the german army occupied greece,destroyed the country,and persuaded the greek government to loan their entire gold reserve of about 100 billion euros at the time, at 0% interest to the german state as a payment for services rendered by the german occupation forces in 1942.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II_reparations

current greek debt to the eu is about 389 billion euros mostly held by german banks
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_...nt-debt_crisis
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2019, 22:12   #13

Typical Greek implementation of a tax.

You can get a 10% discount if you pay for the year in advance, as long as you pay by January. But the tax went into effect on April 2.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2019, 06:10   #14

Boat: Feltz Scorpion II 12m bermudia rig pilothouse

Hi everyone

Having never had to pay for a cruising permit can someone clarify some scenarios for me?
So if you dont plan to stop in Greece but are just passing through, does this mean you now have to pull into a major Greek port to pay for a month, even if you would only have been passing through their waters for a few hours?

Also if you stray into their territorial waters without noticing but they pick it up because of your AIS transponder could you find a huge fine coming through your letterbox some time afterwards?

Thanks In Advance

Dave
davefrediam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2019, 06:26   #15
cruiser

Don't know what to say.
Usually I do not comment things like this one because every country has right to do what they think it is good or appropriate for them and their well being..

If you do not like that do not go there, stay in your home waters and enjoy freedom of free lunch. let Greece (or Croatia, or Turkey or Italy or Albania or whatever) drown in their own crap.
Gruz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Greece, taxes