Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2009, 13:31   #1

Boat: Wauquiez 43 PS
New Rules in Turkey for Black Water Discharge

For those cruising in, or going to the Bodrum to Fethiye areas, there are new rules regarding the discharge of black, grey, and bilge waters as well as new cruising rules for the Gocek bays and coves. Noonsite.com has the latest update from the Turkish Marine Environment Protection Association.
Pumping out of the holding tanks is finally coming to Turkey. However, the numbers of stations are currently limited, but expected to grow. The cost has yet to be finalized, but at Yat Marina in Marmaris, it is rumored to be about $45 (70 TL) per tank. In the Gocek area, where grey water is required to be contained, the tanks could fill up quickly.
While it is not exactly clear what is required, the agent at Yat Marina in Marmaris Turkey said don't go retro-fitting boats until this issue gets sorted out. At present, it is even unclear if you can go offshore and pump your tanks.

These new rules only apply to the cruising area from Bodrum to Fethiye, but expect them to be expanded to other areas in a few years.

n.b. This was bound to happen sooner or later. All those day-trippers and gulets without holding tanks have really screwed up the waters. It's too bad they never heard of "leave a clean wake".

Life isn't a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, proclaiming, "Wow, what a ride!"
gegroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2009, 13:37   #2

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461
The problem was not limited to the boats w/o holding tanks... A group of us chartered a gulet for a week in the Bodrum area and they dumped their holding tanks overboard everytime we were underway.

Sailndive
Sailndive345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2009, 14:05   #3
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Its not just in Turkey but everywhere in the world, folks dump there waste in the local waters
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2009, 15:02   #4

Boat: Jeaneau Sun Oddysey 34.2
Interesting

Explained at:
Noonsite: Turkey: New Rules for Cruising Yachts in the Gocek-Dalaman Area
DaveL1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2009, 06:25   #5

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Seems to be a lot of "holes" in the language as posted on Noonsite - >>>>
Only Black Tanks are required for smaller yachts but the grey water must be put into the black tank, and hence pumped out. Foreign flagged boats however will not be checked by the authorities as to whether they have a tank or not. Turkish flagged boats are checked annually in order to receive their sailing certificate. Upon inspection of a foreign flagged boat, authorities will only ask to see the Blue Card, and will check to see legal waste disposal has been made. If the boat has been sailing for a period of time and there is no discharge recorded, there will be a penalty charged.<<<
and >>> Discharge of waste water is forbidden in this area. Waste water is defined as; black water, bilge water, ballast water, and sludge.<<<
"Grey water" as I define it in the USA is sinks, showers, and water from anything except MSD's (toilets). Grey water is not included in the Turkish definition of "waste water" but is mentioned in other places. They need to define what "grew water" is as it is not included in the "Waste Water" definition.
- - Re-plumbing sinks, showers, etc. into holding tanks is no easy task and involves the addition of valves and hoses and a host of other problems. Since virtually all boats manufactured in the world do not have provisions for diverting what we call "grey water" to a tank - this regulation will pretty much eliminate all recreational vessels from this new "park area." I wonder what the local businesses and marinas have to say about that.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2009, 10:52   #6

Boat: Jeaneau Sun Oddysey 34.2
I assume this new regulation is aimed at the Gulets. I have often sailed through the floating mess of a recently passed Gulet and grey water, soap suds etc. seems to float longer than black waste, often in to an anchorage where we have been swimming. Gulets appear to have no respect where they dump waste.

For me to divert grey water in to my black water tank will be a real hassel!

But as a foreign flagged boat I will not be inspected so as long as I have some pump out records I should be ok.
DaveL1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2009, 16:29   #7

Boat: a sailing boat
Another stupid place where holding tanks are obligatory but pumping-out facilities next to non-existing?
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 23:50   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Another stupid place where holding tanks are obligatory but pumping-out facilities next to non-existing?
Yes, there is another area since beginning of 2009: The Netherlands - theoretically

However the pump stations are rare and nobody is controlling it.
Joefloki is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Turkey