Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: What do you thinl?
You are crazy 0 0%
Think again 0 0%
You can do that with some extra care 0 0%
Good plan 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2019, 07:04   #1

New boat, questions about delivery

It might happen that I buy my first serious boat in southern Turkey. I am looking into a Belize 43 cat right now. In this case I will have to bring it to Croatia, probably in the beginning of the next year.
I am inclined towards an itinerary through the greek islands, always within one day of sailing to the nearest shelter.
However there are parts of the journey which are more than 12 miles from the shore.
I have a 12 mile boating licence and a GMDSS long range certificate.
My understanding is that authorities actually look only at the radio certificate, so I can make those passages legally. Is this understanding correct? If yes, should the boat actually equipped with long range radio?
As you might have figured out, I am not very experienced (yet!). I have a very few hundred miles on sea, and I count as an okay skipper on lake. (My experience does include force 10 winds, but in a small monohull on lake, as crew.) I understand that the end of winter-beginning of spring is not the ideal time on the Mediterranean, but I think that if I wait for preferable weather between legs and not push any deadlines, I can do this well within my abilities with such a capable boat, even while I do not know her intimately.
What do you think about this assessment, and what should I take care of?
(Of course I do not plan to do it by myself; I plan to sail with others who preferably more experienced than me, but probably I will end up with friends who have the same magnitude of experience like me. I am thinking through my options right now.)
Another question: The boat is non-EU right now, and if I buy it, I would like to register it in an EU country. Which country would you choose? Are there any extra paperwork related to it either at checkout at Marmaris or checkin at Rhodos?
magwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 08:47   #2

Re: New boat, questions about delivery

If you want to bring it up yourself, the best is to collect some hands-on experience in Turkey, which is a great cruising area. Depending where you are from, you don't have much choice from EU flags (unless you start a company).
If you have an icc, you can sail anywhere in the Med.

VAT is an interesting topic, if you are EU tax resident (not necessarily citizen) you are liable to pay VAT immediately upon entry...
Old 09-07-2019, 13:35   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018
Re: New boat, questions about delivery

If you are buying a Belize from or around Marmaris, I probably know the boat and her story..
Send me a PM, I will help you out fro all the formalities and the way to go.

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, delivery