Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2017, 02:26   #16

Re: need help for sailing to Greece

Dear Sofia ,
For any help contact me via e-mail ilias.tzevelekos@otenet.gr.
I am Greek sailor (not professional !!!) and I will be happy to help you enjoy my Country.
Welcome
ilias14081957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 05:28   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Charter vessels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flysofia99 View Post
our family plan to use our catamaran to visit Greece

<snip>

does anyone know that what kind of documents I need prepare to visit Greece?registration paper? transit log? anything else?
Visit Sailing in Greece | JimB Sail. This is the Greek page of a web site which compares all the sailing regions of Europe. Near the top of the page you'll find links to all the paperwork needed to cruise in Greece.
There are rules for how long boats can stay. Different rules control how long people may stay

Assuming the crew have Malaysia residence/passports, and no right of residence within an EU country, each will have passports stamped on arrival giving personal permission to stay for up to 90 days in any 180 day period anywhere within Schengen zone.

Assuming boat has not been imported into the EU customs zone, the boat will apply for a Transit Log. This gives it permission to stay anywhere within the customs zone for up to 18 months - as long as it's not used for commercial purposes, and only for non-EU residents. It's easy to hand in the transit log to visit a non Customs zone country and get a new transit log when the boat returns - even after a very short visit.

Where to Cruise? The page link above leads to about ten pages comparing the various sailing regions of Greece. Find the quiet regions, and the noisy regions by visiting the other pages. Cruising the mainly southern Islands is a rather windy experience in summer, so not very crowded!

JimB
jckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2017, 08:17   #18

Boat: Corbin Ketch 39ft

I thought I had the answer to Schengen in Greece. One can get a long stay visa renewable for 360 Euro for 2 years, this is not an investment visa but appears to be a valid option. The kicker in Rhodes though apparently the 18 months for the boat while valid only allows the owner 6 months before having to pay import tax. I tried to explain about the visa but customs in Rhodes do not care. Conflicting regulations which I hope to sort out as Greece is a very enjoyable country and I would like to winter over here.
Old 18-08-2017, 08:53   #19

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubilee39 View Post
I thought I had the answer to Schengen in Greece. One can get a long stay visa renewable for 360 Euro for 2 years, this is not an investment visa but appears to be a valid option. The kicker in Rhodes though apparently the 18 months for the boat while valid only allows the owner 6 months before having to pay import tax. I tried to explain about the visa but customs in Rhodes do not care. Conflicting regulations which I hope to sort out as Greece is a very enjoyable country and I would like to winter over here.
AFAIK close to the six month expiry, you can change the identity of the skipper on the transit log (wife?) and have another six month.
meirriba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2017, 01:44   #20

Boat: Catalina 36 MKI

Quote:
You are not your boat
A visum is for a person.
The 18months is for your boat to avoid paying VAT. There is a very simple fix. Check out of Greece with your boat, go to a (EU) country that is not part of the VAT union, check in there for a day or so, check out and save the paperwork, check back into Greece.
Or if you put your boat on the hard you can use that to extend the 18 months.
De.windhoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2017, 03:25   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Charter vessels!

Quote:
A 2 year visa would normally give a person right of residence in the EU. Check the wording of the visa. People with right of residence in the EU (even if it's only for 2 years) may only use boats which have free circulation within the EU customs zone - ie, VAT paid and meeting CE mark standards (EU technical standards).

The point is simple. If you're allowed to live in the EU, you pay EU taxes (including VAT) on vehicles you use in the EU - cars, boats, planes - and horses and carts.

Note, it's the user of the boat who matters, not necessarily the owner.

1 year "visitor" visas (which don't allow "right of residence") are obtainable in some EU countries. Temporary Import for a boat may then apply. Check the wording on the visa!

Allowing 6 months for an EU resident to use a non-VAT paid boat is outside the EU customs zone provisions. In most countries, the maximum period is under 30 days, during which the boat can't be used except to prepare to leave EU waters.

JimB
jckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2017, 03:29   #22

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30

Quote:
If this long stay visa makes you a resident to the custom you will probably have to pay VAT and import duty on your boat. The tax authorities might also get interested if they find out that you are staying longer than 6 months.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Greece, sail, sailing