Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2018, 12:05   #1

‘Must See’ spots in the Meditterean

Hello, I’m looking for some advise, tips, suggestions for a Mediterranean cruise I’ll be making next summer with my girlfriend.

In Spring 19 I’ll be leaving for Ibiza from Falmouth on an Maxi 1100 as soon as we get the weather window, probably May. After a fairly direct sail to Ibiza, my crew will jump off Leaving just the two of us. We intend on spending 6 weeks in the Balearics after which we must leave the boat until the beginning of July when we’ll continue sailing to arrive in Turkey for October where we’ll stay until the season ends. Most of Italy, Croatia & Albania we won’t see due to time constraints.

It’s a big area so any ‘Must See’ places would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. Guy
GdeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2018, 10:54   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018
Re: ‘Must See’ spots in the Meditterean

If you get the advise from 10 different people, you would probably get 10 different opinions. Everyone has his/her own taste and expectations. My favorite spots;
-Carloforte in Sardegna
-Gorzo and La Valetta in Malta
-Ionian side of Greece
-Hania , Rethminos in Crete (Iraklio is terrible, definately to be skipped)
-And you should obviously spare some time fpr TurkeyTurkey; anywhere from Bodrum to Fethiye.

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2018, 12:55   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Gib for a weekend on route and we thought Barcelona very pretty with posh marina in the center. Top end of Sardinia is a huge nature reserve, went diving rather than sailing so may be rules for anchoring etc. Malta for the history.

July and August will be hot, the high season, expensive and hot again. Athens at the beginning of July was too hot for us.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2018, 12:59   #4

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

Syracuse in Sicily. A must visit!
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2018, 14:23   #5

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailormed View Post
Taoamina is similar and the waters around are nicer. A decent choice if you are going through Messina.

Someone else mentioned Carloforte. It is a nice place, but I wouldn't say it's somewhere to make a detour to visit, though I preferred it to northern Sardinia.

Malta is a good call between the main island, Carmino, and Gozo. Some lovey anchoring spots.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2018, 07:59   #6

Boat: Jenneau 45.2
Thumbs up Re: ‘Must See’ spots in the Meditterean

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailormed View Post
I will second that.
Jenneau Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2018, 08:12   #7

Boat: Jenneau 45.2

I did this exact same trip several years ago and took two years to reach Greece where am still berthed.
There are so many places it is a shame to sail past them. We left Falmouth late April/earlyMay and were very pleased to get into La Coruna after Biscay.
The Spanish Rea’s were well worth visiting.
After that we were able to day sail approx 60nm per day down the Portuguese coast, but beware of “Forrest’s of lobster pots.
Gib is a nautical cross roads and worth stopping for a couple of days to refuel and stock up.
We wintered in and loved Minorca. Not to impressed with the rest of the Ballericks.
Sardinia, Corsica and Sicily well worth visiting, but can be expensive to moor up.
If you have a uk boat make sure you have plenty of anchor chain. 80–100 meter and a good winch.
Good luck and enjoy.
Jenneau Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2018, 21:52   #8
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

The west coasts of Ibiza and Mallorca
Cassis France
Valletta
Rhodes
Montenegro
Marmaris
Korcula
Corsica
Elba

All of Greece.
Old 14-12-2018, 22:20   #9

Anchor in the bay on the south end of Little Paros and dine at Captain Pepino's.
jmorrison146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2018, 22:54   #10
cruiser

Missing Italy and Croatia, you’ll be missing some of the best places.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2018, 01:19   #11

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Many of the ideas I have (doing a similar trip this season) have been mentioned or are obvious enough. A few I had having lived and traveled for a year around the med in my 1977 VW bus a few years back:

1) Israel. I'm no supporter of their policies in general, but if you're all the way in that direction it seems like a great place to visit, especially during colder months. We're gonna have a look for sure.

2) Cyprus. Spent a lot of time here in the VW, and it was amazing. Not south, but north (turkish) cyprus was the best. Girne is gorgeous, and the karpas peninsula is outta this world.... just gotta see about finding places to anchor, but i hear they built a big new marina nearby Dipkarpas, we'll definitely be sloping around there later this year

3) Kotor Bay, Montenegro. Another place I spent collectively almost a year (tho I lived nearby, so it was over a few trips). Just. Amazing. Anchoring off the old town of Kotor is one of my dreams....

4) Istanbul itself. Don't know about the cruising, but boy do I love that town. Worth a few nights in the marina for sure.

5) Palma, Mallorca, the city. Been here a few times in winter (am typing this from there now on the boat) and the prices are great. Come summer, I hear it's a shitshow. But for the off season, the city is one of those places you'll want to buy a house immediately. There's a great refit guy on the island as well, especially for Amels (the reason I've been here for a month). Yacht Concept Mallorca. If you need anything done around these parts, Peter will take care of you.

Ok that's all from me.... happy sailing!
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2018, 12:33   #12

Boat: Catalina 36 MKI

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
If you get the advise from 10 different people, you would probably get 10 different opinions. Everyone has his/her own taste and expectations. My favorite spots;

-And you should obviously spare some time fpr TurkeyTurkey; anywhere from Bodrum to Fethiye.

Cheers
Yeloya
Don't forget Kekova-Kas/Kastelorizo (Meis) .
De.windhoos is offline   Reply With Quote