Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2018, 14:48   #16

Boat: between boats
Re: Minimums certification to skipper Croatia on private yacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by LACHLANC View Post
FYI - with the new Greek DEKPA / Transit Log introduction 6-12 months ago most if not all people were required to show ICC or equivalent and many if not most were required to show a MROCP (i.e. VHF licence).
Here we go again. I have many friends cruising Greece last year including myself. None were asked to show ICC or equivalent.

Some even went to the expense of getting this qualification which in Australia is very expensive at around $1000 and 2 days due to this kind of scaremongering last year.

They were pretty upset that they then didn't need it ( they learnt nothing in the course they said) and they even tried to show it. It was ignored.

Your flags national requirement is sufficient.
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2018, 15:46   #17

Boat: Comet 41s

The licence you need deepend on your nationality. Download the PDF and you will have the full list: List of skipper's licenses valid in Croatia. - Orvas Yachting
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2018, 16:04   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
The licence you need deepend on your nationality. Download the PDF and you will have the full list: List of skipper's licenses valid in Croatia. - Orvas Yachting
Hey polux this list is for those wanting to charter a croation flag boat. For own flag you just need whatever your countries requirement is.

Chartering is a whole other bunch of hoops ( and so it should be)
Old 31-01-2018, 16:50   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barra View Post
For own flag you just need whatever your countries requirement is.
Your country or the flag state? Big difference sometimes! I got familiar with the spanish regulation, they ask for the same certificate as the skippers country of nationality or residence. How is it in Croatia?
Old 31-01-2018, 17:04   #20

Noonsite says Croation authorities expect to see an ICC

Croatia —
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2018, 17:06   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTom View Post
Your country or the flag state? Big difference sometimes! I got familiar with the spanish regulation, they ask for the same certificate as the skippers country of nationality or residence. How is it in Croatia?
for most private owned yachts per the op thats the same thing but to be clear then the skippers qualifications of the flag country is what they should be after. In practice like you see in spain common sense prevails and they accept either.

My nationality and flag are the same so i cant help you with what croatia will do in your case but i suspect it will be fine.

eg they are actually being more flexible for the charterers by clearly in writing allowing home country qualifications for croatian flagged boats as per poluxs list (though it is at a higher level of qualification than those home countries in many cases but like i said thats probably as it should be for charterers and is the case everywhere that i know of at least)
Old 31-01-2018, 17:11   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean Counter View Post
Noonsite says Croation authorities expect to see an ICC

Croatia —
yep this is the scaremongering im referring to - it has people forking out big $ sometimes in fear of this rubbish.

refer to poluxs post even for charterers they dont need ICC

noonsite should have a big "sponsored" banner up
Old 31-01-2018, 17:46   #23

Quote:
Hey polux this list is for those wanting to charter a croation flag boat. For own flag you just need whatever your countries requirement is.

Chartering is a whole other bunch of hoops ( and so it should be)
Basically you are right and that it is what that list is about, that's a government list regarding the licences that are accepted on Croatia regarding nationalities (the ones that are used on the sailor's country).

The fact that it is your own boat or a charter boat is irrelevant: you have to have a licence that is accepted by the Croatia government and that's the list.

"In accordance with Article 4 Paragraph 3 of The Ordinance on Boats and Yachts (Official Gazette No. 27/05, 57/06, 80/07, 3/08 and 18/09) certificates issued by the competent authorities of other states
that have concluded bilateral Memorandum of Understanding with Croatian Administration are recognized for operating Croatian flag boats and yachts as in the table below"

As you can see those licences are not only needed for Croatian flag boats (charters included) but to all yachts on Croatian waters.

With an exception: on countrie where licences are not needed they establish their own requirements. For instance for UK:

International Certificate for Operator of Pleasure Craft, Day Skipper Shorebased Certificate, Day Skipper practical course completion certificate (tidal or non –tidal), Coastal Skipper/Yachtmaster Offshore Shorebased Certificate, Yachtmaster Ocean Shorebased Certificate, Powerboat Level 2, Advanced Powerboat Certificate of Competence.

There is also a list for Canada and USA.
Old 31-01-2018, 18:11   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Basically you are right and that it is what that list is about, that's a government list regarding the licences that are accepted on Croatia regarding nationalities (the ones that are used on the sailor's country).

The fact that it is your own boat or a charter boat is irrelevant: you have to have a licence that is accepted by the Croatia government and that's the list.

"In accordance with Article 4 Paragraph 3 of The Ordinance on Boats and Yachts (Official Gazette No. 27/05, 57/06, 80/07, 3/08 and 18/09) certificates issued by the competent authorities of other states
that have concluded bilateral Memorandum of Understanding with Croatian Administration are recognized for operating Croatian flag boats and yachts as in the table below"

As you can see those licences are not only needed for Croatian flag boats (charters included) but to all yachts on Croatian waters.

With an exception: on countrie where licences are not needed they establish their own requirements. For instance for UK:

International Certificate for Operator of Pleasure Craft, Day Skipper Shorebased Certificate, Day Skipper practical course completion certificate (tidal or non –tidal), Coastal Skipper/Yachtmaster Offshore Shorebased Certificate, Yachtmaster Ocean Shorebased Certificate, Powerboat Level 2, Advanced Powerboat Certificate of Competence.

There is also a list for Canada and USA.

lol thats not how it reads at all polux. to me it reads very clearly that it applies to "croatian flag boats and yachts"

anyway its just formalising what ive been saying but as it applies to countries with bilateral agreements ie comply with your flags requiremnts and we will recognise it even for croatian flags.

yes officials can sometimes get antsy if there is no paperwork at all but if like australia you have a licence and its not on that list you will still be fine.

last post for me on this
Old 31-01-2018, 18:25   #25

Quote:
lol thats not how it reads at all polux. to me it reads very clearly that it applies to "croatian flag boats and yachts"

anyway its just formalising what ive been saying but as it applies to countries with bilateral agreements ie comply with your flags requiremnts and we will recognise it even for croatian flags.

yes officials can sometimes get antsy if there is no paperwork at all but if like australia you have a licence and its not on that list you will still be fine.

last post for me on this
That is a translation, but on the official Croatian document that list is referred as "Recognized certificates for operating boats and yachts, yachts used for private purposes up to 30 GT,. - bareboat chartered yachts up to 30 GT, in internal waters and territorial sea of the Republic of Croatia and waters accessible from the sea, under the condition of holding an appropriate national or foreign radio licence if there is a radio-telephone VHF station or a GMDSS-VHF "

I have sailed there for three times and I saw them checking if my licence (a Portuguese one) was on that list.

For the ones that don't have any licence they have to take a basic Croatian licence. That is not complicated and can be made on the spot. On some other thread somebody (that was obliged to do that) explains with detail the situation. It was not only him but several other skippers that had to take that course (on the same ocasion).
Old 31-01-2018, 18:36   #26

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30

Quote:
FYI - with the new Greek DEKPA / Transit Log introduction 6-12 months ago most if not all people were required to show ICC or equivalent and many if not most were required to show a MROCP (i.e. VHF licence).
We were asked to leave my qualification with the agent when she applied for the new DEKPA, was also checked later when we were checked by port police. My swedish qualifications was accepted in both cases. No mention of radio license.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2018, 23:20   #27

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473

Quote:
Here we go again. I have many friends cruising Greece last year including myself. None were asked to show ICC or equivalent.

Some even went to the expense of getting this qualification which in Australia is very expensive at around $1000 and 2 days due to this kind of scaremongering last year.

They were pretty upset that they then didn't need it ( they learnt nothing in the course they said) and they even tried to show it. It was ignored.

Your flags national requirement is sufficient.
There's a big difference between being legally required to have something and getting away without having that item.

Greek Port Police operate as regions and some will be up with legal requirements, some will apply rules from a few years ago and some apply their own rules.

The new DEKPA regulations were widely publicised (e.g.
New regulations affecting all boat users in Greece finalised - Practical Boat Owner ) and Port Police usually implemented the new regulations.

The fact your friends weren't asked for it is a bit like going to the time & expense of getting a motor vehicle licence when someone else gets away with driving a car without a licence.
LACHLANC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 07:22   #28

Quote:
There's a big difference between being legally required to have something and getting away without having that item.

Greek Port Police operate as regions and some will be up with legal requirements, some will apply rules from a few years ago and some apply their own rules.

The new DEKPA regulations were widely publicised (e.g.
New regulations affecting all boat users in Greece finalised - Practical Boat Owner ) and Port Police usually implemented the new regulations.

The fact your friends weren't asked for it is a bit like going to the time & expense of getting a motor vehicle licence when someone else gets away with driving a car without a licence.
Getting an icc for Greece when you don't need one is like wearing a tin foil hat in case the aliens are brainwashing you.

Then getting on C.F. and telling us "most if not all" have been asked to provide an icc is like trying to get everyone else to wear a tin foil hat as well so you don't look so stupid.

See we can all do analogies.

Really my last post with this!
Old 01-02-2018, 07:58   #29

Boat: Amel 50

So, a 6-pack Captain's License is not accepted in Croatia, or other places in Europe?
I am talking about going there with your private boat.
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 08:23   #30

Quote:
yep this is the scaremongering im referring to - it has people forking out big $ sometimes in fear of this rubbish.

refer to poluxs post even for charterers they dont need ICC

noonsite should have a big "sponsored" banner up
So Barra how do you know you are correct, when there is so much evidence to the contrary? You just make statements with no backup other than an anecdote about when you went on a friends boat over there.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
certification, Croatia, skipper, yacht