Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2018, 08:37   #31

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40
Re: Minimums certification to skipper Croatia on private yacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barra View Post
lol thats not how it reads at all polux. to me it reads very clearly that it applies to "croatian flag boats and yachts"

anyway its just formalising what ive been saying but as it applies to countries with bilateral agreements ie comply with your flags requiremnts and we will recognise it even for croatian flags.

yes officials can sometimes get antsy if there is no paperwork at all but if like australia you have a licence and its not on that list you will still be fine.

last post for me on this
Barra have you actually sailed in Croatia? Judging by you lack of local knowledge I suspect not.

The rules are simple. To skipper a boat in Croatian waters you MUST have proof of competence. This could be a national skippers certificate or licence, commercial maritime licence or the ICC. I have the RYA Day Skipper and my wife the RYA Yachtmaster Coastal but we also have the ICC as it is INTERNATIONALLY recognised.

This has absolutely nothing to do with national regulations for your flag state or you nation of birth but to do with the Croatian Authorities wanting to ensure skippers of vessels in their waters know what they are doing. There were a spate of fatal accidents involving vessels whose skippers did not know a thing about sailing so they took action. It applies to charter and private vessels alike and we have been "controlled" by the Kapitanjia several times in our 7 years there and they always asked for our qualifications/licences.
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 09:45   #32

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

The RYA Day Skipper theory is enough for Croatia.

There is a document somewhere that shows exactly which qualifications they will accept and from which countries.

As for the ICC. I've spoken to people who've just paid a few hundred euros and done the theory and that's been good enough to get the certificate. Likewise I know of people who've done an RYA Day Skipper without ever having to do the theory.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 16:05   #33

Boat: between boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean Counter View Post
So Barra how do you know you are correct, when there is so much evidence to the contrary? You just make statements with no backup other than an anecdote about when you went on a friends boat over there.
Not quite fair Beanie

2012 France Spain France Italy France
2013 France Spain Italy Montenegro Croatia Italy Croatia Greece
2014 Greece Croatia Italy Greece
2015 Greece Turkey Greece Turkey
2016 Turkey Greece
2017 Greece

My travels in my boat (Australian flag and skipper). Add the hundreds of cruisers ive met in that time and shared their experiences and I reckon ive got a good handle on whats happening in practice clearing in and out typical non EU flag boats in those countries.

Some people are predisposed to worrying overly about certain issues around formalities but for those that want real world experience as it applies on the ground I shared my experiences of no problems over 6 years cruising the med.

This is the norm on a daily basis rather than the very rare horror experience (often brought on by a poor attitude dealing down to officials from the skipper involved Ive found)

Now record straight I really am over this thread.
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 16:23   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by boom23 View Post
So, a 6-pack Captain's License is not accepted in Croatia, or other places in Europe?
I am talking about going there with your private boat.
If you are American, it will be definitely accepted in Spain (law says license must match the skippers nationality/residence) under any flag. I didn't do much research on other countries yet.
Old 02-02-2018, 15:19   #35
cruiser

Do not know for other countries, regarding France, just watch this from 5:56

earlgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 15:41   #36

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
The RYA Day Skipper theory is enough for Croatia.

There is a document somewhere that shows exactly which qualifications they will accept and from which countries.

I think that link has been posted 3 times in this thread.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 05:23   #37

Hi there,

Just cruised from Cyprus to Turkey in my private vessel. No authority asked for my Skippers Quals. I believe that is the same in Croatia, unless you are hiring a bareboat from a charter company. Then as I understand they will ask for your ICC.

Another friend has sailed in Croatia twice in the past 3 years and no one asked.
Silprowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 05:46   #38

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silprowa View Post
Hi there,

Just cruised from Cyprus to Turkey in my private vessel. No authority asked for my Skippers Quals. I believe that is the same in Croatia, unless you are hiring a bareboat from a charter company. Then as I understand they will ask for your ICC.

Another friend has sailed in Croatia twice in the past 3 years and no one asked.
You and your friend were fortunate. I have been sailing in Croatia for 7 years and have been asked for all my documentation 4 times by Harbour Master, Police and Kapitanija.

Croatia is quite clear - all skippers of all vessels in Croatian waters must be able to prove their competence to act as the skipper (person in charge). Regardless of your flag state rules/regulations.
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 05:52   #39

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

I don't know about y'all but I wouldn't want to be sailing around in 200+k euros worth of impoundable boat because I didn't pay 200 euros for my ICC or to get all my papers in order. The odds of being stopped might be lower in places other than Croatia, but they are surely not nil, and I woudn't want to gamble on my boat or even losing days from my trip sorting it out because of a technicality I could have taken care of in an afternoon....
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 06:02   #40
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Minimums certification to skipper Croatia on private yacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
I don't know about y'all but I wouldn't want to be sailing around in 200+k euros worth of impoundable boat because I didn't pay 200 euros for my ICC or to get all my papers in order. The odds of being stopped might be lower in places other than Croatia, but they are surely not nil, and I woudn't want to gamble on my boat or even losing days from my trip sorting it out because of a technicality I could have taken care of in an afternoon....
Words of wisdom.. as opposed to words of nationalist hubris..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 05:18   #41
cruiser

https://cro-sail.xyz/list-skippers-l...valid-croatia/
earlgray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
certification, Croatia, skipper, yacht