Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2017, 08:20   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Sailing vessels up to 200 tons
Mediterranean to UK via Azores

Hi,

I'm going to be helping bring a cat back from the Med to UK in early September and was thinking that coming via the Azores would avoid the slog ip the coast of Portugal and Spain.

The distance is much greater but with better winds the time might be closer.

So, anyone done this route, any words of wisdom, any thoughts in general?
edsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2017, 08:41   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Mediterranean to UK via Azores

Yeah.. dont bother.. from St Vincent to the Azores its 800 odd miles then 1500 to the SW coast UK..
Go up the Portuguese coast.. most of it will be motor to Baiona and from there you can wait for SW'lies to carry you hpme.
If the Azores High is full you'll use a lor more fuwl than the realatively short PT coast.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2017, 08:44   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

How big a cat? will it go through the Midi Canal?
Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2017, 13:35   #4
Marine Service Provider

It's a 40' Cat, sails well, canals are off the menu.

Have motored up the coasts of Portugal and Spain more times than I care to remember, the time isn't critical, hence the idea of a reach most of the way across to Azores and then pick up the s'westerlies from there into the western approaches.

From the Balearics it's 1000 miles further back to sw uk via Adores but it could be a cracking sail rather than a boring motor..... And the Azores are interesting, any more thoughts?
Old 26-06-2017, 09:13   #5

Boat: Dufour Nautitech435/FP Venezia42/Baltec Visiona 40/Catalac 10m used as a river cruiser

Hi
as Boatman 61 wrote there are a lot of miles to sail if sailing over the Azores. First 780 Miles from Cabo Sao Vicente to Ponta Delgada and after about the double to SW Ireland for there I head normaly for Crookhaven.
I know that in some Guides it is proposed to think about sailing to the Azores, but that I would only do if I had a boat not able to tack. With my catamaran I prefer to wait a Southern wind along the Coast of Portugal, southern Winds are normally not friendly waether but fast sailing downwind. I would take the time to wait for southerly winds and immedeately leaving when they are coming. Sometimes also the Porgugease Norther is not strong so you could sail under engine or using engine and sails depending of direction of the wind. Tacking is a hard job as the Current is not favorable.
Passing Cape Finisterre I would wait for a Southwesterly to head for
Cornwall or further.
Fair winds
James
onavegador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2017, 15:14   #6

Boat: Bill O'Brien 1975 'Amazon' 8m x 4.5m Ketch-Cutter Cruising Cat & Wharram 'Melanesia' 5m Outrigger

How about via the Canaries?
Bobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2017, 16:30   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Mediterranean to UK via Azores

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsailing View Post
It's a 40' Cat, sails well, canals are off the menu.

Have motored up the coasts of Portugal and Spain more times than I care to remember, the time isn't critical, hence the idea of a reach most of the way across to Azores and then pick up the s'westerlies from there into the western approaches.

From the Balearics it's 1000 miles further back to sw uk via Adores but it could be a cracking sail rather than a boring motor..... And the Azores are interesting, any more thoughts?
The Azores are fantastic.. but it all comes down to the High being co-operative else your facing a lot of motoring..
It all comes down to the known versus the gamble..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 00:16   #8

Boat: Bill O'Brien 1975 'Amazon' 8m x 4.5m Ketch-Cutter Cruising Cat & Wharram 'Melanesia' 5m Outrigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
The Azores are fantastic.. but it all comes down to the High being co-operative else your facing a lot of motoring..
It all comes down to the known versus the gamble..
Would that also be the case if via the Canaries rather than the Azores?
Old 27-06-2017, 01:44   #9
Marine Service Provider

You'd only want to head for the Canaries if West bound.

As an ex-delivery skipper, UK-Med-UK was my bread and butter when still working, as was the occasional transat so I knoow the sums and understand the weather.

What I'm really after is hearing about the experiences of others who have done this passage rather than advising me of the best route home.

Delivering boats for a living - no more!
Old 27-06-2017, 02:57   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsailing View Post
You'd only want to head for the Canaries if West bound.

As an ex-delivery skipper, UK-Med-UK was my bread and butter when still working, as was the occasional transat so I knoow the sums and understand the weather.

What I'm really after is hearing about the experiences of others who have done this passage rather than advising me of the best route home.
Thanks for the Canaries tip ... I've opened another thread to hear more about the possibilities for sailing from Scotland to the Med.

Mediterranean from Scotland?
To the Mediterranean from Scotland! - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

Tags
Azores, mediterranean