Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2019, 12:28   #136

Re: Med cruising and managing Schengen

If you can make the passage try the stretch of coast in Easterm Mediterranean from Marmaris to Kas. No Schengen nonsense, great marinas, vast range of bays and Fjoerds to pick from as well as super sheltered large bays where you can pick lots of anchorages with good holding and easy access to groceries and water. Marmaris, Fethiye, Kas all contain multiple marinas and excellent yacht repairs and services. You could easly winter there moving from bay to bay and not break a sweat.
corsaircpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 22:51   #137

Location: South Africa. currently sailing in the Bahamas and then heading to the Med via Bermuda in May
Boat: Knysna 500SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsaircpt View Post
If you can make the passage try the stretch of coast in Easterm Mediterranean from Marmaris to Kas. No Schengen nonsense, great marinas, vast range of bays and Fjoerds to pick from as well as super sheltered large bays where you can pick lots of anchorages with good holding and easy access to groceries and water. Marmaris, Fethiye, Kas all contain multiple marinas and excellent yacht repairs and services. You could easly winter there moving from bay to bay and not break a sweat.
I could not agree more
Lambretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2019, 16:12   #138

As we picked up our boat in France this summer and are completing our season in and around the Schengen zone, now waiting for our Atlantic crossing in the Canaries, I have tried to summarize what I have learned over the last few months in a blog post:

http://oxalisborealis.com/sailing-in...-90-day-limit/
mdamours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2019, 18:42   #139

Boat: Colvic Victor 50

Brexit. That horrible 6 letter word. I've searched for any Brexit threads, and i haven't found any on this forum.
I don't want to get into the politics of Brexit, but want to seeif anyone that is directly affected by it has been making any plans or has any thoughts on how they might handle it.
Hawkeye118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2019, 20:07   #140
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye118 View Post
Brexit. That horrible 6 letter word. I've searched for any Brexit threads, and i haven't found any on this forum.
I don't want to get into the politics of Brexit, but want to seeif anyone that is directly affected by it has been making any plans or has any thoughts on how they might handle it.

Several forum members in the UK that might chime in on this but if you really want to jump into Brexit with both feet you might check out this forum.

Yachting and Boating World Forums

I do a lot of import/export business in the UK and everyone I deal with think Brexit, if it ever happens, will not be good for the UK in the long run, or short run for that matter.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2019, 10:34   #141

Boat: 48' Alu Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye118 View Post
You could try the Med Sailing Facebook Page. Brexit appears to be a popular subject there.
Seman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 16:57   #142

Boat: Amel 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
The western Med is somewhat more difficult logistically with only Gibraltar and most of Morocco to exit for VAT and Schengen, but it can be done. But after you get to Italy and then the Adriatic and eastward, Schengen and VAT avoidance become very, very easy to deal with.

With all the migrant issues the Schengen countries are presently dealing with, I can't see Croatia or Montenegro being in any hurry to join the party. Especially seeing as how they fought a civil war not long ago, largely centered around the muslim/Serb issue. Lots of churches.... no mosques around here, and I don't see this changing anytime soon.

OP,

Fifteen months isn't nearly enough time. Three to five years is more like it just to get a preview... what's your hurry?
Hi,
Are you still in the Med? I'm reading one of your posts about Schengen. We arrive June 2020, our boat is in Valencia. We are USA. Thinking we'd return early November, so we should skip out September & October, right? Our boat is an Amel 54. We have just sailed her to Ibiza and back this summer, bought her in 2018, we have sailing experiences for the past 6 years, all this to say, we are thinking Gibraltar and Morocco. I don't think we're quite ready to hop clear over to Croatia and Turkey yet, perhaps 2021, but what are your thoughts? Thank you
reynoldsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 06:14   #143

Boat: Lagoon 400

Are the posters here aware of the option (Greek at least) to get a 300 days visa based on economic independence? Moreover, once you get such a visa, it can be a base of a permit to live in Greece for 2 years.
If anyone is interested, I can describe the (cumbersome) process of this visa.
Old 04-11-2019, 06:20   #144

Location: South Africa. currently sailing in the Bahamas and then heading to the Med via Bermuda in May
Boat: Knysna 500SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by meirriba View Post
Are the posters here aware of the option (Greek at least) to get a 300 days visa based on economic independence? Moreover, once you get such a visa, it can be a base of a permit to live in Greece for 2 years.
I would be interested to hear about this ...... Does it matter what passport you apply for this permit on. I would be on a South African passport and the admiral on a British?
Lambretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 09:30   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambretta View Post
I would be interested to hear about this ...... Does it matter what passport you apply for this permit on. I would be on a South African passport and the admiral on a British?
It is my understanding that SA passport is fine and British does not need it until Brexit occurs...
To the procedure:
You apply for a meeting at your local Greek consulate (we got an appointment dated 3 months after first application email...).

The visa is based on each applicant personal financial independence, i.e. you prove to the Greeks that you will not need any support from them during your (extended) stay.
To prove it you are will be asked to bring one or all of the following (depending on the particular consular officer you deal with:
1. Letter from your bank, certifying that each applicant has steady monthly income of at least €2,000 (or steady annual income over €24,000).
2. Your bank statements of last 3 month, showing the info a.m.
3. Salary or pension slips showing the above.

This is the basic requirement (it may be replaced by investment in property - I did not check this option).
Next:
1. Application form (in English) + photo of applicant.
2. Health or travel insurance policy of year duration (to ensure that you will have cover for health issues during your stay).
3. Passport (which will remain in the consulate until visa is granted. In Tel-Aviv it took one week).
4. Medical certificate, stating that you do not carry contagious diseases (there is a form for this).
5. Police certificate that you have no criminal record.
6. Some proof of accommodation - we presented our marina contract. (I do not know what will be the response to someone that has no permanent base in Greece - just cruising around for the whole year)
7. Fee of € 180, in local currency.
8. Personal interview by the visa officer.

W were advised by the consulate, at the start, to use help of Greek law office. However we went alone, with some help of a nice Greek lady who is sailing agent and is well versed in the process.

After the above described Via Dolorosa, we got a visa for 300 days. It was explained to us that we are entitled to apply to Greek ministry for a residence permit (which is not the visa) initially for a year, and when this permit expires it may be renewed for another 2 years. This incurs separate fees. I am not sure of the cost.
Old 04-11-2019, 14:48   #146

Boat: Lagoon 400 S2

Very interesting. Thanks for describing the process. A note of caution...staying in Greece more than half of a year will trigger vat on a non vat paid boat as you will become a tax resident. No idea how this is enforced and would love to hear evidence to the contrary...
Dtm67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 01:06   #147

Boat: Privilege 435 Catamaran

If the 300day visa for Greece is correct, then it applies also for other Schengen countries. Additionally the EU tax regulation concerning VAT kicks in.

It might be good to check the VAT regulation before applying for 300 day visa.
p435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 01:21   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by p435 View Post
If the 300day visa for Greece is correct, then it applies also for other Schengen countries. Additionally the EU tax regulation concerning VAT kicks in.

It might be good to check the VAT regulation before applying for 300 day visa.
This will something to consider and find out - our boat is registered to a corporation so ther connecton between the boat and skipper for VAT is not automatic.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:19   #149

Location: house is in melbourne australia and Muscade currently in Med.
Boat: fontaine pajot Marquises 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by meirriba View Post
Also interested.
karabil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 08:32   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtm67 View Post
Very interesting. Thanks for describing the process. A note of caution...staying in Greece more than half of a year will trigger vat on a non vat paid boat as you will become a tax resident. No idea how this is enforced and would love to hear evidence to the contrary...
Possibly a bigger deal...are you considered a resident and subject to income or other taxes?
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising