It is my understanding that SA passport is fine and British does not need it until Brexit occurs...
To the procedure:
You apply for a meeting at your local Greek consulate (we got an appointment dated 3 months after first application email
The visa is based on each applicant personal financial independence, i.e. you prove to the Greeks that you will not need any support from them during your (extended) stay.
To prove it you are will be asked to bring one or all of the following (depending on the particular consular officer you deal with:
1. Letter from your bank, certifying that each applicant has steady monthly income
of at least Ä2,000 (or steady annual income
2. Your bank statements of last 3 month, showing the info a.m.
3. Salary or pension slips showing the above.
This is the basic requirement (it may be replaced by investment in property - I did not check this option).
1. Application form (in English) + photo
or travel insurance
policy of year duration (to ensure that you will have cover for health
issues during your stay).
3. Passport (which will remain in the consulate until visa is granted. In Tel-Aviv it took one week).
certificate, stating that you do not carry contagious diseases (there is a form for this).
5. Police certificate that you have no criminal record
6. Some proof of accommodation - we presented our marina contract
. (I do not know what will be the response to someone that has no permanent base in Greece
- just cruising around for the whole year)
7. Fee of Ä 180, in local currency.
8. Personal interview by the visa officer.
W were advised by the consulate, at the start, to use help of Greek law office. However we went alone, with some help of a nice Greek lady who is sailing agent and is well versed in the process.
After the above described Via Dolorosa, we got a visa for 300 days. It was explained to us that we are entitled to apply to Greek ministry for a residence permit
(which is not the visa) initially for a year, and when this permit
expires it may be renewed for another 2 years. This incurs separate fees
. I am not sure of the cost.