Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2021, 20:05   #1

Marina Berth widths in Mediterranean

We are planning to cruise the Med (Summers) for a few years and are toying with the idea of buying a Catamaran this time. Mostly we plan to live on anchor where possible, but some time will be spent in marinas.

Considering a narrower Cat, Prout (5m beam) or a Gemini (4m beam) to avoid extra marina charges. Does anyone have info on the average 11-13m BERTH width in the Med please? Guessing above 6m beam can run into 1 1/2 or 2 x the rate.

Cheers,

Jim
adagionut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2021, 22:55   #2

Re: Marina Berth widths in Mediterranean

For a 12m monohull, you will pay from 28 to 150 EUR per night. For a catamaran, regardless of its width, the surcharge is 50 to 100% more.

The cheapest marinas are in the western part of the Mediterranean and the most expensive in famous and popular places in Spain, Italy, France, and Croatia.

It is usually cheaper in Greece and Turkey.
KaPitek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2021, 00:11   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by adagionut View Post
We are planning to cruise the Med (Summers) for a few years and are toying with the idea of buying a Catamaran this time. Mostly we plan to live on anchor where possible, but some time will be spent in marinas.

Considering a narrower Cat, Prout (5m beam) or a Gemini (4m beam) to avoid extra marina charges. Does anyone have info on the average 11-13m BERTH width in the Med please? Guessing above 6m beam can run into 1 1/2 or 2 x the rate.

Cheers,

Jim
In Croatia, you Pay 50% extra for a catamaran. narrower Cat 4x12 m or 12x12 metre pay some price. Or narrower monohull pays some price from a wider monohull, only lengths when marina charge. 99% marina staff is only manager not possible charge you lover price becouse you are not wide. Owner and corporate direcor board live far from marina and this guy make price list and control marina by remote camera.
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2021, 02:35   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by more View Post
In Croatia, you Pay 50% extra for a catamaran. narrower Cat 4x12 m or 12x12 metre pay some price. Or narrower monohull pays some price from a wider monohull, only lengths when marina charge. 99% marina staff is only manager not possible charge you lover price becouse you are not wide. Owner and corporate direcor board live far from marina and this guy make price list and control marina by remote camera.

In some marinas, the catamaran surcharge is 100% of regular price.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Catamaran surcharge Dubrovnik.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	433.9 KB
ID:	242026  
KaPitek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2021, 05:34   #5

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by adagionut View Post

Cheers,

Jim
I remember a lot of variation in the catamaran multiplier in the Med. I definitely remember at least one marina that charged the same rate for monohulls and catamarans. Most would multiply by 1.5, but some would double the rate. If you're trying to budget, assume 1.5 and you will hopefully be about right.

Also, for those marinas that have finger pontoons, marina berth widths varied greatly. Many don't have finger pontoons, so there really is no way to give an average width. The marinaros just manage to get the boats in close enough to where they need to be to access the dock cleats.

Cheers!

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2021, 08:07   #6
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Marina Berth widths in Mediterranean

Here in lefkas , it’s 75% surcharge for cats this year. The reality is it should be 2x or more as those things are consuming all the docking space. Horrible things.
Old 14-07-2021, 08:17   #7

For information on the cost of berths in Palma de Mallorca contact. recepcion@portdemallorca.com
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2021, 08:53   #8

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Here in lefkas , it’s 75% surcharge for cats this year. The reality is it should be 2x or more as those things are consuming all the docking space. Horrible things.
I am sailing in the Med one of these horrible things for the last 10 years.
As correctly pointed above, the width does not matter, you pay by length, usually plus 50%, sometimes plus 75% and rarely plus 75%.
In Kos marina we paid the surcharge even though they have put as alongside the outer breakwater, where we took exactly same length as the minohulls next to us.
If you plan to be mainly on anchor you have nothing to worry about, but in Turkey and Greece, you should also know how to anchor with the stern secured with a long (60-80m) line to the shore.
If you plan to get med style to a quay in the many small towns, you may find it difficult to find free place if coming late in the afternoon (basically you need almost double space) . In cases of doubt we come around noon, i. e. after people leave in the morning but before the new crowd rushes in.
meirriba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2021, 09:32   #9

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

I would say about 4 metres for a 12 metre boat. Over that you are wider than the dock bollards.
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2021, 09:46   #10

Most docks in the med are not made for space consuming cat’s. Go anchor out and asdume no space for cats at docks. It’s a plague.
hanjohuizing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2021, 16:25   #11

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanjohuizing View Post
Most docks in the med are not made for space consuming cat’s. Go anchor out and asdume no space for cats at docks. It’s a plague.
I’m betting you’d buy one if you won the lottery though !
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2021, 16:31   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
Because....???
Old 14-07-2021, 16:35   #13

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clivevon View Post
Because....???
Because they have become very popular and desirable for many cruisers and sailors. Including me.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2021, 16:41   #14

I chartered a 40 foot catamaran in the Whitsundays once - to take family & Aussie relatives sailing for a week. They insisted on fresh meat & steaks & all. Very comfy - had freezers & everything. Spent the week anchoring out & chasing the battery charge, running the motor in otherwise idyllic places to keep it topped up. Lots of motoring - not much sailing. I complained when we got back about the small foresail so no oomph at all. They said it was too dangerous to give a charterer a big genoa. I told them (again) that I was a Yachtmaster, etc. so they said next time they would give me a full size genoa - I wont be back though. Nice motor boat though. Very comfy - the family enjoyed it. So did I, up to a point - you know, missed that moment when you turn off the engine & SAIL...
Old 14-07-2021, 22:08   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
No I am a real sailor with a real sailing yacht 47 feet, very fast and we live aboard this boat. It is just a matter that there is an ever growing amount of those water SUV's (rental cat's with people that never ever sail) that take all the dock spaces because their guests only use the cat as a hotelbed to sleep and motor as fast as they can from place to place. They come in early evening and expect space which there never is and get irritated that other boats won't let them in...It is an ever-growing irritating factor amongst real sailors with monohull yachts and I won't be surprised that we we see a day in the future that cat's will be forbidden at public docks.
It is ok if they use marina's and pay 150% or 200% of the fee, but the matter of fact is, there aren't that many marinas in the eastern Med.....Greece has a total of some 20 real marina's or so...,
hanjohuizing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mediterranean