Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2021, 06:07   #16
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Marina Berth widths in Mediterranean

Yes in small harbours a few cats totally consume all dock space where twice as many boats would normally fit.

Ugggh
Old 15-07-2021, 08:44   #17

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey DS43

You know, I’m sure that the cost of a birth for a monohull on the outer wall in Kos marina is 1.5 the cost of a regular dock! So in fact if a monohull is forced to dock on the outer wall she will be charged the price of a Cat!
Chalifour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2021, 09:11   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Well, it's just a shame that "real sailors" feel competent to judge other boats' sailing capabilities, without realizing that, in fact, they are speakiing more to their own sailing knowledge and abilities. There certainly ARE sailors, who never sail, charterers who never sail, and sailboats that don't sail well, but they are not limited to multihulls. I used to feel the same way, and then I a) learned the nuances of sailing multihulls, and 2) bought one that I ran in charter. We used to love passing monohulls, even ones longer than us, at 46 feet, even upwind. My favourite charter groups were those where the three husbands (three couples) would draw me aside and say, "As sailors, we were going to charter a monohull, but the ladies wanted a cat," I would just nod and set about my goal of having them say, at the end of the week, "That was a revelation. We never realized how well these could sail." Happened every time. But, of course, they were interested in expanding their horizons and understood the foolishness of generalizing. Cheers!
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2021, 10:29   #19

First, they typically med moor, so the width isn't a big issue for fitting unless the marina is jam packed and they simply haven't got enough space. There are rarely fixed finger piers limiting who can fit. At worst, you may need to adjust dock lines and shore power cords if you don't line up quite right.

Extra cost for a cat is more common in the med vs the US east coast, though it's not universal. We were in Spain for a couple years and didn't get hit with a surcharge on a 10m Catalac.

For the big cats with a 20-25ft beam, a surcharge makes perfect sense when med mooring as you are taking up more space than a similar length monohull.

If you get a narrow cat like a Gemini (14ft beam), it's not really any wider than a monohull. You could try simply giving the boat dimensions when calling for a reservation and not mention that you are a cat (they aren't common in Europe so they won't instantly know what it is by the brand name). We had good luck with that on the US east coast. A couple times they pointed out that we were a cat upon arrival and we asked them what we get extra vs a 14ft beam monohull that they assumed...they always dropped it. No guarantee but had good luck with that approach.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mediterranean