Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2013, 06:49   #1

Boat: caroff Albion
Looking for cheap boatyard Faro/La Gomera

Hi planning to leave for portugal later this month. Have a 38ft Caroff Albion, steel 13 tonne monohull. I work as a merchant seamen and have to report back for duty on the 20th of July and then away for at least three months. Looking for a boat yard where i can leave my beloved boat, in or out of the water as long as she is safe, in the Faro area, maybe the Guadiana or even somewhere like La Gomera. I have seen a few on line but would really be grateful for any feedback from people who have used yards in this area. Thanks Guys and Girls. Iain
teapot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:08   #2
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Looking for cheap boatyard Faro/La Gomera

try the yard in portimao or the yard in Lagos, out of the water will most certainly be cheaper, both places have expensive peak season in water rates. Ive never been up the Guadiana, so cant speak with any experience.

In La Gomera, you have the marinas in San Sebastion , but no hard storage, and rates there have got quite high in recent years. The little compond in Santiago can be used but access is mainly for locals , though some yachts do use it and its relatively cheap.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:47   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Looking for cheap boatyard Faro/La Gomera

There's an old fashioned boatyard in Faro... they do lift outs/launches with a crane on Spring tides.. never used them myself but have known some who have.. never heard any complaints.. just take normal precautions and stow everything behind lock and key..
Obviously your draft will affect access.. sorry but have no contact number..
In Portimao you have 3 yards to chose from.. the caged marina yard with good facilities, the private uncaged yard with not so good or the fishing boat yard.. with zero..
Priced accordingly... when you get there anchor up behind the breakwater and ride your dink upriver to the yards... can't miss them on the right bank after the village.. take a walk around then decide...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:47   #4
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Can't speak for Faro but both Portimao (yard behind the fence) & Lagos are good options. Pretty sure Lagos will cost more but has the advantage (or expense ) of a fairly well stocked chandlers onsite, and the guys running the yard are good, will get what you need. Both allow liveaboard. Lagos has a shower, can't remember about Portimao. Both fairly close to train station for train to Faro then cab to airport. Both right next to some of the finest grilled sardines in the known universe
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:48   #5
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Both right next to some of the finest grilled sardines in the known universe
yeah but the little old lady with the fish place near the chandlers in Lagos is gone it seems

dave
Old 11-06-2013, 12:36   #6

Brilliant! Thanks, knew this would be a great forum to get good advice on. I will look into the options you have suggested now. Might just visit La Gomera for a couple of nights and then flee back to Faro, Lagos or Portimao as everyone seems to like these last two. Thanks again, will let you know how i fare. I draw 6'7 so maybe that will restrict me a bit but we will see. Cheers Iain
Old 11-06-2013, 12:45   #7
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by teapot View Post
..Might just visit La Gomera for a couple of nights and then flee back to Faro, Lagos or Portimao as everyone seems to like these last two......

Sure you mean La Gomera? That's in the Canaries, bit of a trek there and back for a couple of nights. Lovely place though
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 23:51   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Charter vessels!

For "out of the water", Bruce's Yard, Faro.

Faro ashore is good value in summer, close to airport. More good information on the region from Lagos Navigator's net also linked from the page above.
jckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 08:55   #9

hey Guys, just to let you know. I didn't make it as far south as planned in the end. Rope wrapped around the prop, shaft really didn't like it. Anyhow had to make a bit of a hasty landfall in the end with no motor. Looked on the chart and ended up heading into Povoa de Varzim. Fairly high up on the west coast of portugal, near Porto. It all worked out really well. The marina is very cheap, i think i'm paying about 150 euros per month (12 metres) on the hard and i think the rate in the water is similar. The staff are brilliant, very relaxed and friendly and the place is pretty secure. A lift out on a travel hoist also worked out to about 150 euros as well. Well recomend this place as a cheap, safe place to leave a boat. Thanks again for all your advice. Next spring wil be heading into the med...so hopefully run into (not literally) some of you guys there

Tags
cheap