Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2016, 21:07   #1

Long term lease or charter on yachts in the med

This might be a stupid question but does anyone do long term charter or lease arrangements on yachts in the med? Seems like the only two options are buy a yacht or do short term very expensive charters. But what if you want to cruise from May til Oct in the med without buying a boat are there options out there for this that are affordable? Anyone know?
robbinsfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 23:34   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates
Re: Long term lease or charter on yachts in the med

Interesting question -- why not try contacting some of the charter companies and ask instead of here. One company I would try and where the folks may well work with you is EuroMarine in Dubrovnik Croatia - we had some dealing with these folks on other issues and found them very easy to work with and they do think outside the box.

good luck
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 08:47   #3

We know of one family who chartered for four months this summer (2016) in Greece. IIRC it was through Kirakoulis, but it may have been someone else (we sailed with them back in May/June).

I would imagine that things get problematic when you want to sail to a different country, so if that isn't on the cards (ie. You'll be in Greece only, Craotia only or Turkey only) you shouldn't have a problem.

As far as affordable goes though.... well, what was affordable for that young family for a four month holiday (IIRC it was around EUR 14000) was the price of some other peoples boats!

PT
touchngo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 11:39   #4

Boat: Comet 41s

The owner of the Shipyard were I have the boat bought a used 40? 42? feet Jeanneau Sun Odyssey to do just that. I believe the prices will be better than on the regular charter market.

I don't know details except that he is a very nice guy. He have been working in America for most of his live and still has a sailboat in San Francisco? were he passes some time.

The Shipyard is on the North of Greece, a very nice region with not too much charter boats. Still possible to be alone on an anchorage and the prices on restaurants are lower and the food better than more to the South.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 11:41   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbinsfamily View Post
This might be a stupid question but does anyone do long term charter or lease arrangements on yachts in the med? Seems like the only two options are buy a yacht or do short term very expensive charters. But what if you want to cruise from May til Oct in the med without buying a boat are there options out there for this that are affordable? Anyone know?
Greetings from Southern France, I live 40 Km inland from the Med and have found two sites useful; https://www.clickandboat.com/en and http://www.theglobesailor.com.
Do let me know how you get on and or if you need help.
Rver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter, lease, yacht