Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2018, 12:59   #16

Boat: Sun Odyssey 37
Re: Leaving Uk for the Med in Aug/Sep?

This is a brilliant thread, with loads of important advice. I’ve read a few threads in here and am so relieved that the brilliant, friendly cruising community we’d heard about is alive and well.

So far you’ve helped me choose solar panels, get advice on weeping through skinmfittings and choose a place to over winter.

Thank you ����
Tradgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 13:15   #17

Boat: Heavenly Twins 26

I Dave,

We did a similar trip last year but left in May and still only just got to Portimao in time for some warm weather! Our boat is a slow old overladen HT though - I'm sure yours is faster. Have you thought about slowly cruising down to somewhere in Brittany or N Spain and leaving the boat there for the winter, then picking it back up in Spring? Would allow for a more relaxed cruise maybe?

There's some videos on our youtube channel about the places we stopped at if you're interested:

www.youtube.com/sailingkittiwake

Cheers

Ryan and Elena
SV Kittiwake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 14:43   #18

Boat: Bill O'Brien 1975 'Amazon' 8m x 4.5m Ketch-Cutter Cruising Cat & Wharram 'Melanesia' 5m Outrigger
Smile Re: Leaving Uk for the Med in Aug/Sep?

The above posts have also been useful to me. I may be in a similar situation later this year. I hope to leave earlier but will have further to go! We hope to travel down from Scotland in an old cruising catamaran. Thanks for all the inputs - much appreciated.
Bobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 11:55   #19

Boat: Moody 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Kittiwake View Post
I Dave,

We did a similar trip last year but left in May and still only just got to Portimao in time for some warm weather! Our boat is a slow old overladen HT though - I'm sure yours is faster. Have you thought about slowly cruising down to somewhere in Brittany or N Spain and leaving the boat there for the winter, then picking it back up in Spring? Would allow for a more relaxed cruise maybe?

There's some videos on our youtube channel about the places we stopped at if you're interested:

www.youtube.com/sailingkittiwake

Cheers

Ryan and Elena
Cheers you pair and been following your youtube channel!
davethedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 12:34   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Indeed the Gulf of Morbihan and the off lying islands are just fabulous. We loved La Turballe and Le Croisic. Piriac a challenge when we got the tides wrong and arrived to find a weir to get in, worth the wait. This is just 25m of coast to do the whole lot you will need a complete summer.
The Bay of Biscay is not a bit less wonderful than the Med, and is more wonderful in some ways. Take your time and enjoy the journey. Then you've got the rias of Galicia waiting for you. It's true as someone said that the Portugese coast is, well, not to mince words, dangerous in the winter time. But just don't transit it out of season and you'll be fine. A nice long fall cruise through North and South Brittany and Biscay towards the Rias, overwinter in someplace like La Coruna, then onward in the spring -- life could suck a whole lot more than that.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 02:48   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 37' Oyster Heritage

From The Solent, I'd make my UK departure from Start Point. Time you arrival at the Chenal du Four appropriately. Wait in the Rade de Brest for your Biscay weather window;

Camaret is a good jumping off point. For Biscay all you need is a decent 3 day forecast. Forget all that baloney about having to head miles out into the Atlantic before heading south. Forecasts are much improved from Nelson's day.

Ares, just across the bay from La Coruna is a good arrival spot. Sheltered sandy bay with enough room to anchor a battle fleet, just round up and drop the hook.

Enjoy the Rias.
Old 09-03-2018, 03:23   #22
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Leaving Uk for the Med in Aug/Sep?

Never do head 'way out to sea'.. even my December crossing was Brixham to Ushant, then straight S down to Viviero.. much prefer it to the La Coruna area..
A small town with a well sheltered cheap marina more or less in the town or, if you prefer, an anchorage a mile downstream just W of the river mouth..
But then.. I'm not a Francophile..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2018, 05:53   #23

This is a late reply to all to my much earlier post about leaving UK for Portugal in Aug./Sept. Every single post helpful and interesting ! What a fantastic medium
this is - but it does need a certain discipline, which I have yet to learn.
My "Inca" is a small boat, Sadler 29, not very fast...
Still working on building my own transom hung ruder trim tab self steering,
but this may not be the most appropriate place ?
Thanks all for your posts, which I am only now digesting, being an ultra-slow
coach ! Klaus-Marco
Klaus-Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2018, 06:32   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus-Marco View Post
This is a late reply to all to my much earlier post about leaving UK for Portugal in Aug./Sept. Every single post helpful and interesting ! What a fantastic medium
this is - but it does need a certain discipline, which I have yet to learn.
My "Inca" is a small boat, Sadler 29, not very fast...
Still working on building my own transom hung ruder trim tab self steering,
but this may not be the most appropriate place ?
Thanks all for your posts, which I am only now digesting, being an ultra-slow
coach ! Klaus-Marco
30 years ago 30ft was an ordinary size for yachts crossing the Atlantic and the view from from the cockpit is the same view you get from a 50ft catamaran.

Nothing stopping you posting up a thread asking for help and then pictures working your way through building a wind vane.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote