Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2015, 23:41   #16

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)
Re: Leaving the Azores - headed to Gibraltar

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve77 View Post
Our options are Portugal, or a country outside of Schengen. Thus, the Canaries, Madeira, Cape Verde, Spain, etc. are not possibilities.
Have you considered UK? It's not that far from northern Portugal..
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2015, 00:59   #17

Boat: Dufour 40

Do not rush to Gibraltar! You can enjoy Algarve coast, anchoring north of Portimăo breakwater or inside the Ria Formosa Natural Park (best spot Ilha da Culatra) or using one of the marinas Lagos / Portimăo / Albufeira / Vilamoura always with some berth places available in the Autumn/Winter. Markets are always close by.

Prices are cheaper in Portugal / Spain than in Gibraltar. But if possible stock up on the Azores beef and cheese, they are unique. Sailing from Algarve to Gibraltar I would wait for calm winds or never easterly winds, any easterly wind in Alboran Sea means at least the double outside the Strait. Check the tides table, try to do the passage from Trafalgar Cape to Gibraltar with an east going tide (2 or 3 extra knots).
Conquilha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2015, 10:30   #18

Boat: Comet 41s

Maybe at 22 you will have a window if you sail down to Madeira to get free of the depression that will pass at 28. Then it will be better weather from there to Gibraltar.

But as it was said it is not risk free and you have to assume that the depression at 28 will not reach more south and more quickly than what is previewed. Safety in this case depends on the average speed your boat can make with good sailing conditions and more than enough wind.

Maybe this is the free weather report that gives a more clear look in what regards a passage time and weather conditions:

https://www.windyty.com/?2015-10-28-06,44.434,-29.531,4
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2015, 00:04   #19

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

Is staying where you are an option!?

Do consider! The time spent on hauling should be communicated, and not accounted for, if relevant visa-wise
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2015, 02:07   #20

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Maybe at 22 you will have a window if you sail down to Madeira to get free of the depression that will pass at 28. Then it will be better weather from there to Gibraltar.

But as it was said it is not risk free and you have to assume that the depression at 28 will not reach more south and more quickly than what is previewed. Safety in this case depends on the average speed your boat can make with good sailing conditions and more than enough wind.

Maybe this is the free weather report that gives a more clear look in what regards a passage time and weather conditions:

https://www.windyty.com/?2015-10-28-06,44.434,-29.531,4
Thanks. I like Windyty, it's like MTV for sailors. We will be keeping a close eye on the system that's sitting between us and Gibraltar. Maybe it will cooperate and go away.

As far as sailing speed, Orontes II has long legs and wide hips. I tell everyone she's a very comfortable ride. Given good conditions, we can sail between 7 and 8 knots even with a single reef in the main and genoa. Depending on sea state and point of sail, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThunderbird View Post
Is staying where you are an option!?

Do consider! The time spent on hauling should be communicated, and not accounted for, if relevant visa-wise
Well, it is an option. If we can't find a window to get to the continent, then we will look at staying in the Azores. Although we may move to Ponta Delgada just for a change in scenery. As far as visa time, we will need to talk to SEF (Portuguese immigration).

We will try to keep our options open. If we can safely make it to Gibraltar, we will give it a go.

Thanks, everyone!

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2015, 02:22   #21

Boat: L 450

Dear Steve,

canaries are Schengen

And it is much more nicer in the winter then Spain

Marcus
Darksyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2015, 05:39   #22

Boat: a sailing boat

Ponta Delgada is a good spot. A bit bumpy in rough weather but can be managed with appropriate fendering and springing ;-) Staff and authorities are supernice there (I guess this is their standard in the Azores). The same applies to locals who by my measure must be the nicest Portuguese to inhabit this planet. Their town is nice, clean, small but interesting, well stocked with goodies: they have great fresh produce market, excellent cafes, etc. Trekking is great: lakes and villages in volcano craters, mountain water aquaducts, etc. And off course a yachtclub and a boatyard too.

Do NOT miss two things while sitting out the adverse weather: Malvasia based white Port and Setubal area dry Moscatels.

Bueno, if I got stuck in Ponta Delgada I could actually feel quite happy ...

PS Not much new on the wx front: that nasty system still forecast to turn round and head back for the Canaries, blocking your way to the continent.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 03:01   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

any feedback on winter berths in Gibraltar,my contact tells me they are full up for the winter
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 06:12   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
any feedback on winter berths in Gibraltar,my contact tells me they are full up for the winter
Atoll,

Just checked e-mail, and I have responses from Queensway Quay and Ocean Village, both of whom said they are full up. They both said to continue to check with them to see if anything changes.

Gibraltar is definitely our first choice. Second is some place in Morocco, probably Smir. I've never been there, but our RCC book says good things about it.

Any experience at Smir or other Moroccan ports?

For other posters, remember, our big constraints are Schengen, so Ceuta is not an option.

Thanks!

Steve
Old 19-10-2015, 06:39   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve77 View Post
Atoll,

Just checked e-mail, and I have responses from Queensway Quay and Ocean Village, both of whom said they are full up. They both said to continue to check with them to see if anything changes.

Gibraltar is definitely our first choice. Second is some place in Morocco, probably Smir. I've never been there, but our RCC book says good things about it.

Any experience at Smir or other Moroccan ports?

For other posters, remember, our big constraints are Schengen, so Ceuta is not an option.

Thanks!

Steve
I haven't been to smir,but I have heard it is modern and okay for what you need wintering over.

Agadir is also okay,great weather over the winter and fairly modern marina with a nice town and cheap flights to uk.

tangier is also okay as a stop but you will have to tie alongside a fishing boat,and use your dinghy to get to the yacht club where there are showers and bar restaurant.

safi is a dump,but okay for a stop over,and can be entered in any weather.

essouira is also a dump,and can be tricky to enter,but nice tourist town.

Casablanca has a nice marina,but can be tricky entering the river with onshore winds and swell.

morocco is cheap for living with good markets,friendly people,and good transport system if you want to travel inland,most places you can find a pensione for 10-15 euro a night.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 07:05   #26

Boat: Comet 41s

There is a very good marina in Montenegro (Adriatic ) but that is some distance away on the med. There is also one in Albania, about the same distance, that has an Italian management.

Home page
Porto Montenegro - Superyacht Marina - Luxury Residences - Europe - Mediterranean - Tivat - Kotor

Regarding Montenegro besides the expensive one you have also this one:
Port of Kotor

I visited the marina even if I had not been there with the boat (staid at anchor). No doubt the place is very well sheltered even if it don' seem to have much place on the hard. The city is just magnificent and it would be a great place to pass the winter.

Port of Kotor
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 06:55   #27

Just wanted to provide an update.

We are finally back in the water and tied up in the marina in Angra, Terceira. We have a slip reserved in Gibraltar at Queensway Quay on Nov 23. So that's the good news.

The weather is pretty rough for the next week. I think we are going to sit right where we are and see how things develop. The boat is rocking and rolling, but we are thrilled not to be up in the air on jack stands.

The earliest I can see for a weather window is next Sunday, Nov 1. With luck, and some motoring, that window could get us all the way to Gibraltar. Otherwise, we could stop somewhere in southern Portugal.

Cheers!

Steve
Old 26-10-2015, 06:38   #28

Boat: a sailing boat

Ooops. You are still there? I thought you left in the latest window ...

Statistically, the windows will be getting narrower now. Beware. If you depart and get becalmed, keep the medal on the pedal and power away from any incoming one.

If the faster track takes you to Madeira first, this may be an option to consider. Often less time is required to push to Madeira then sail on in the next window.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2015, 08:58   #29

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
There is a very good marina in Montenegro (Adriatic ) but that is some distance away on the med. There is also one in Albania, about the same distance, that has an Italian management.

Home page
Porto Montenegro - Superyacht Marina - Luxury Residences - Europe - Mediterranean - Tivat - Kotor

Regarding Montenegro besides the expensive one you have also this one:
Port of Kotor

I visited the marina even if I had not been there with the boat (staid at anchor). No doubt the place is very well sheltered even if it don' seem to have much place on the hard. The city is just magnificent and it would be a great place to pass the winter.

Port of Kotor

We have been into Orikum twice and love it and Albania but I would not winter over there. It is really subject to southerly winds and get a bit rolly and cold when the winds really blow. Talked to some locals about it when we were there and they even said no on the winter over. It is also a bit from town.

Montenegro is nice but really expensive.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2015, 11:16   #30

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

Wintering: to find a nice, cheap, well protected harbour where to spend leisure time either ashore or for daily hopping around under sail.

Morocco, Canaries, Portugal, south of Spain all seem very apt.

I have considered Sicily too

I didn't realize the Azores being so troublesome in wintertime.... a little surprise to me.

Forgive the stupid question, Steve, why not heading south to Canaries?

Maybe it gets impossible to tack to Gibraltar, from there.... but not to Morocco....
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Azores, Gibraltar, head