Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2012, 00:27   #76

Boat: Oyster 435 - Miyagi Moon
Send a message via Skype™ to miyagimoon
Re: Karpas Gate Marina, Northern Cyprus - The Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randal Johnson View Post
Electricity is expensive to produce in N Cyprus.
We are staying in a villa the other side of Girne. The unit cost of electricity is 0.30Tl. The marina is charging 0.35Euro. You do the math!
miyagimoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:17   #77

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

Quote:
Originally Posted by miyagimoon View Post
We are staying in a villa the other side of Girne. The unit cost of electricity is 0.30Tl. The marina is charging 0.35Euro. You do the math!
Does the villa have a stand-by generator offering you emergency power if the grid goes down?

All through Greece we paid .30 Euro per kwh. At .35 Euro KGM is the second-highest we have ever paid for electricity. St. Thomas USVI takes the prize as the most expensive electricity anywhere. Shore power at the marina in Red Hook Bay at St. Thomas cost us $85 USD for one 20-hour period back in 2006, operating air-conditioning but no other high-consumption gadgets.

Aren't you glad the berthing was free this winter.

Judy
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:56   #78

BTW, it is so clear today that we can clearly see the mountains of Turkey some 45NM to the north. Cool.

Judy
Old 03-03-2012, 04:32   #79

Boat: 36' solaris sunrise catamaran
Question Re: Karpas Gate Marina, Northern Cyprus - The Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by beneteau-500 View Post
Bill i have only spent 3 days there this yr on feb 3 to 6 prior to this i was not connected to the power so this is a high bill i think there is a prob with the pedestal as before xmas the staff come over to see why the meter was spinning at 1000 mph and i wasn't even connected to the mains ,so bill can you pull my plug out of the pedestal for me please, thank you
It would appear that you may be paying for someone else's electricity??
rivonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:47   #80

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500

And also pete i think we have a karpaz spy on here reading all the karpaz threads as i received a strange email about my 170 odd elec bill this person on here has never posted any threads on here and has been a member for awhile
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:52   #81

Boat: 36' solaris sunrise catamaran

There is no doubt about that, As I have had answers given to me by certain people in Karpaz about items on the C/F.
rivonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:07   #82

Of course they are on the forum. It's free to anyone and why shouldn't they monitor it. At least that way they get to see how people feel and may learn something about their marina and themselves.

They are also on the YBW forum and many others.

Dale,

Why don't you PM us all with details.

Same with you Peter.

When I first arrived Denis (the harbour master) told me they monitor the internet.
Old 03-03-2012, 20:48   #83

Boat: Selene 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by svBeBe View Post
I should point out that in the Eastern Med we have only visited 4 marinas: Zea, Agios Nikolaos, Yat Marin and Karpaz...so my opinion is based on limited information. I continue to believe that there is little comparison between Karpaz and Yat Marin. If a person likes Yat Marin, I am fairly certain that they would not like Karpaz. Neither Marina is perfect for everyone. All things considered, we prefer Karpaz over Yat Marin...we have experienced both. The next time we are in Marmaris we plan to try Netsel.

Bill
Bill,

Can you expand on a couple of your quotes (offline if you prefer):

"If a person likes Yat Marin, I am fairly certain that they would not like Karpaz"

"The next time we are in Marmaris we plan to try Netsel"

We are headed for Marmaris later this year and hope to winter there so looking for any feedback we can get.

Brownie
Buena Vista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:30   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buena Vista View Post
Bill,

Can you expand on a couple of your quotes (offline if you prefer):

"If a person likes Yat Marin, I am fairly certain that they would not like Karpaz"

"The next time we are in Marmaris we plan to try Netsel"

We are headed for Marmaris later this year and hope to winter there so looking for any feedback we can get.

Brownie
Response provided by PM
Old 04-03-2012, 02:59   #85

Boat: Gib sea 43

what about greek cyprus , are there any decent marinas there? for a short term visit?

If the pen is mightier than the sword, then my keyboard must be a nuclear missile!
stevensuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:04   #86

Quote:
I should point out that in the Eastern Med we have only visited 4 marinas: Zea, Agios Nikolaos, Yat Marin and Karpaz...so my opinion is based on limited information. I continue to believe that there is little comparison between Karpaz and Yat Marin. If a person likes Yat Marin, I am fairly certain that they would not like Karpaz. Neither Marina is perfect for everyone. All things considered, we prefer Karpaz over Yat Marin...we have experienced both. The next time we are in Marmaris we plan to try Netsel.
The above may seem somewhat vague, and I probably should not have made it because you could take it either way. Also, I have always believed that when making a statement in public, a person should not publicly disparage a person or entity.

Judy and I happen to be totally satisfied with Karpaz Gate Marina because it met our expectations. We did not feel the same way about Yat Marin. This is our opinion, however, I assume that there are some people that feel differently.

Bill
Old 04-03-2012, 04:54   #87

Location: December 2014 Back in Marmaris Turkey getting Dora Mac ready to put back on the market.
Boat: Diesel Duck 462 M/V Dora Mac

Quote:
The above may seem somewhat vague, and I probably should not have made it because you could take it either way. Also, I have always believed that when making a statement in public, a person should not publicly disparage a person or entity.

Judy and I happen to be totally satisfied with Karpaz Gate Marina because it met our expectations. We did not feel the same way about Yat Marin. This is our opinion, however, I assume that there are some people that feel differently.

Bill
We too had some issues with Yacht Marine, one being they went up on their slip fees overnight without any warning. However we did love Marmaris and plan to go back there. We will check out Netsels as it is actually adjacent to the town and Yacht Marine is about 6 kilometers out. Also I believe Netsels includes electricity and water so the price difference for slip fees are not that much different. Yacht Marine did have a great restaurant and we may end up there again. One advantage of Yacht Marine was on a one year contract you could actually leave for four months and come back so the contract was 12 months within a 16 month period which suited someone who wanted to cruise the islands for the summer. The staff at Karpaz are certainly more helpful.
Randal Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:59   #88
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensuf View Post
what about greek cyprus , are there any decent marinas there? for a short term visit?

latci,paphos,limmasol,larnaca,aya napa all have marinas,

though not sure if this is still true,but you would be fined and asked to leave immediately if the vessel had previously been in the north,perhaps someone could comment on the current situation.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:21   #89

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500

yes its a NO NO if you have entered the nth and then try to go to the south as for marinas in the south the one at larnaca had to partly close down due to the state of the pontoons etc collapsing some 250 yachts where ask to leave i think last september but i belive the old fishing port down from the larnaca marina is being developed and may be open by now but other than that i do believe that all the marinas in the south are full , and i think another 12 to 18 months the team at karpaz will have sorted the bugs out and will improve on things at karpaz i am taking out a 12 month berthing contract which will cost me 1900 euros , i find karpaz suits me for what i want the only thing from my point of veiw is that they must start to stock up on yacht equipment spares etc now ,
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:36   #90

Below is a copy of what someone posted on the YBW Forum it may help in respect to Cyprus Marina's / Harbours:

We went all the way around last autumn and wrote a report on each of the ports we visited. So FYI.......

Review of the Ports and Marinas in Cyprus – September/October 2011

South Cyprus

Latchi
Port of Entry with port and customs in the port.
Very limited space. We tied up alongside the last yacht on a pontoon, so were in an ‘unofficial’ mooring. In bad weather it would have been difficult. The marina manager however was very helpful although not always easy to find. The charge was a minimum of €45, but this covered 3 nights (and seemed a bit elastic) and covered the port of Paphos as well. Water and electricity are available.
There are several bars and restaurants, hire car and a mini market, but little else.

Rating 4/10

Paphos
Very limited space; Quote from the harbour master ‘ this is only a fishing port really’ The pontoons are very lightweight and wouldn’t be suitable for heavier vessels in anything like medium or bad weather. We tied up alongside a wreck by the fueling quay (by tanker on demand) and it was difficult getting ashore. Very load music from the bars until 4 a.m. The marina manager again was very helpful but ‘stressed’.
The charge had been included with the Latchi fees, so we ended up paying nothing although we stayed three nights. No electricity, but water can be obtained.
Whatever you do, don’t use your own anchor – it will foul and can be very difficult to recover.
There are many bars and restaurants, hire car and a supermarket etc.
The Roman ruins, are expansive but not really very good unless you’ve not seen this type of thing before.
Rating 2/10

Limassol (St Raphael)
Unwelcoming and almost impossible to get a place, if you can very expensive. (A catamaran acquaintance 14Metre, was reputedly asked for €150) needless to say we couldn’t obtain a berth , not even for one hour; so cannot report further.
Rating X/10

Zyvi
A small port to the east of St Rapael. Unwelcoming and is administered by the local fishermen who don’t want yachts. (Information passed on to us, we have no direct experience).
Rating X/10

Larnaka
Very limited space and visitors are put on the sea wall in the outer harbour, which is liable to a heavy swell that has been known to damage yachts. Yachts lie to there own anchor (which can and do become fouled) to the wall. There is water and electricity available over the wall into the boatyard, which is included in the fee.
The staff know that they are short of space but are friendly and helpful and do what they can.
The charge is about €20/night for a 14M boat.
Rating 6/10

(Far)Magusta
Port of Entry with port and customs in the main port area – can be a long walk.
There is a wooden quay at the end of the harbour occupied with local boats, you may ‘squeeze’ a place, else you need to anchor off and dinghy in.
Interesting small town with most facilities.
We were not charged whilst clearing customs. No electricity, but expect that water can be obtained.
If checking out of working hours a 50$ fees is requested.
Rating 3/10

Karpaz Gate.
Not a port of entry or customs and heavy penalties for vessels that try.
A new marina offering good rates on 12 months contracts. Otherwise very expensive for boats on passage (€62/night for 14M boat – no concessions and no weekly or monthly rates.
At the time of writing there is no electricity or water on the pontoons due to ‘rebuilding’ work, but both are available on the sea wall, which gets salt spray in bad weather. Weak Wi-Fi internet.
One restaurant on site that can supply basics, no chandler. Local village for supplies approx 5KM with the occasional bus. Otherwise it’s by Taxi .
300 ton travel lift but the hard standing is not yet ready (2011)
Rating 4/10

Girne (Kyrenia). Delta Marine
Port of entry in the adjoining ferry terminal.
A small friendly marina that gets full in the season, but the staff will always try to help – best to call ahead.
Friendly and helpful staff who understand yachts.
Interesting historical city with all facilities. Supermarket 1Km (walk up to the roundabout and turn left). Try the local restaurant ‘Peanuts’ down at the seafront next to the amphitheatre.
Weak Wi-Fi internet due to be improved.
Showers and toilet block due to be rebuilt for 2012.
Rates vary dependent upon season but work on about €50/night
If checking out of working hours a 50$ fee is requested.
Rating 6/10

Tags
Cyprus