Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2010, 06:18   #1

Itinerary for Greek Islands - Help ?

So I have started to do some research on where we should go for our one week trip in June with a captain and a cook. And would like some suggestions from people that have done it before. What we are looking for is beautiful beaches and secluded bays(might be a tall order?) and just to relax for the week and eat well. We want to do some snorkeling, one of us in the party really enjoys that so we want to try to find some great places to snorkel. And would rather be away from the tourists spots. Also I personally would like to learn the basics on how to sail if the wind allows it. I think we would probably like to end up somewheres after the week where we could spend a couple days checking out a town or village. Again this is only a very vague plan so any suggestions would be welcome. Any information that would be great. At least point me in the right direction as it seems there is an endless amount of information out there.
nbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2010, 08:04   #2

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Hi Guys,
You'll find it hard to seek out the best spots plus avoid the tourists as most of those are looking for what you want too.
Can I suggest you'll not go wrong in whatever area of the Greek Islands you choose to sail - so step one could be to pick a group of islands that you like the sound of / close to airport of arrival etc - and then ask again.
I am sure between the site users there are more than a few who have experienced some of the islands but very few who have experienced them all.
Cheers
JOHN
Old 03-06-2010, 17:42   #3

After doing some reaserch I think I am leaning towards the Cyclades and the Dodecanese. Does this seem like the areas where I should be looking for what we want to do. It doesn't matter if we have to meet the boat somewheres else then Athens. What do you think?
Old 04-06-2010, 11:12   #4

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
FWIW pick one and spend more time chilling and less time sailing.
We've sailed both groups - spent more time Turkey side when in Dodecanese but liked Rhodes.
Really enjoyed Cyclades. Ios. Milos. Naxos. Easy to loose a good week just sliding between these places.
Use Google earth to see pictures / places and enjoy!
JOHN
Old 05-06-2010, 14:39   #5

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500
the cyclades are great but if sailing from athens allow ten days if starting of in the cyclades then you can catch a slow or fast ferry to any Island remember alimos to naxos is 110 nm
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 16:59   #6

Boat: Chris White A47 Mastfoil
You could consider a one way trip and end up in one of 5 different locations including Syros which is in the middle of the Cyclades. The prevailing winds are from the north so if you do decide to go down island it can be a beat getting back. Don't get too hung up with a return charge as you might find that fuel might be a big part of the cost if you were to have to motor back into the wind. However I have no idea what a one way charge is. Sailing with the wind at 15 - 25 knots is a beautiful thing and is fine with a large crew. Beating into 25 knot winds with a large crew can suck. The sailing in the Cyclades is probably a lot nicer than the Saronic because of the prevailing winds.

To do a more adventurous week going from Athens I would consider:

0. Sleep in a hotel and get some rest and go to the Acropolis if possible
1. Provision, get your checkout and sail from Athens to Mt. Sinio (2-3 hours protected)
2. Sinio to Kea (easy first small crossing) (2 hours)
3. Kea to Sifnos (beautify broad reach) (4 hours)
4. Sifnos to Paros (beautify remote anchorage and nice old town in same harbor) 4 hours?
5. Paros to Delos for the afternoon then anchor in Mikonos 3 hours then another hour.
6. Mikonos to Syros (3-4 hours)
7. (spare day in case of weather)
8. Get off boat at 8:00AM and take a ferry (2 hours?) to Lavrion or shortest route to Airport and catch a plane.

I'm pretty sure most of these legs are less than 30NM or 5 hours at 6 knots and you should be able to do that with the prevailing winds. You could have breakfast in the morning, shove off by 10:00AM and be at anchor mid afternoon. I wouldn't suggest showing up too late in case the quay is full otherwise you may have to anchor out which isn't as much fun.

You could skip any leg and do a long leg and catch up a day. You could also make it back to Athens with a long leg or an overnight passage. You could make it to Santorini and/or Ios. Santorini is beautiful but it's a very rough harbor/anchorage. IOS was cool, but you might not like it if you don't like hanging out with European, spring break like, parting college kids that run around half naked.

If you go to the Saronic Gulf I would stay over there and wouldn't bother going to the Cyclades. Hope this helps in some way. Also, I should mention that even thought I like this itinerary, I never really decided where we were going to go until the morning of departure.
Agility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 01:08   #7

Thank you Agility some great info there. As I agree you never really do decide where your going but at least I have somewheres to begin doing research. I don't think we will be disappointed where ever we go either. From the sounds of it Greece is a great place to cruise. It will be different then the trips I have taken to the BVI's so I have been told.... Which isn't a bad thing. But I am not going to find the same kind of snorkeling? Or the beaches? I would just like to know the comparisons so I know what to expect going to Greece.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:28   #8

Boat: Chris White A47 Mastfoil
snorkeling? not so great but the water is clear.

beaches? usually rocky, wear shoes but some spectacular beaches if you look for them.
Agility is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
greek islands